Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's gone wrong with British policing?

I would do what I have already done, fix a stiff drink, open the racing pages of the paper and forget about it, for the value of my own mental health.

It's over, the British society we knew has gone and isn't coming back and the vast majority of people in the UK seem perfectly content with this situation.

The British people voted for the Tory Party at the last election and gave them a thumping majority despite knowing that for a decade or more the Tory Party had as much connection with conservative ideology as Pizza Hut has with Italian cuisine.

The Home Secretary tells bare-faced lies to the public about all the harum-scarum changes she is going to make to the immigration and criminal justice systems. She earns great plaudits from the Daily Mail and from posters on this forum, and then sits back and watches as her officials thumb their noses at her and continue doing what they always did without fear of sanction.

A conservative chancellor elected on the basis of sound money ends up shaking the magic money tree that we were told didn't exist and fire-hoses free money at everyone without concern for the future.

The education secretary, despite having almost six months to come up with a plan suddenly finds he hasn't got a clue what he is supposed to do with A'level results in the middle of August.

And don't get me started on a conservative prime minister who oversees the greatest imposition of state power on the liberties of British people in peacetime all because he got a bad case of the flu.

And we still haven't got our oven-ready Brexit yet.

In the face of that the chief constable of Derbyshire's choice of hairstyle is the least of our concerns.
Oh
You're one of them.
Why go for getting one thing wrong when you can write a whole post of bottom lip wobbling nonsense.
Well done you.

I appreciate that copers have more kit than they used to have more kit to carry and that makes it harder but not impossible to look the part.
Yer darn tootin there. I x Pye radio for defective constables, I torch safety, I x truncheon, I x pair of cuffs, whistle-which I still have and Notebook oh and Biro. Radio worked intermittently, rather like the wheeltappers and shunters. No lifts to the beat, but free bus ride helped

Yeah but back in the old days the Bobby could straighten out delinquents with a clip behind the ears (hence there was no crime prior to nineties) and could disarm a sawn off shotgun wielding nutter be telling him "Put it down so, you don't want to make it worse".

It all went wrong when they gave them those newfangled car things - and radios! What was wrong with a bicycle and a whistle?
And a nice hickory truncheon in case things escalated!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It's over, the British society we knew has gone and isn't coming back and the vast majority of people in the UK seem perfectly content with this situation.

The British people voted for the Tory Party at the last election and gave them a thumping majority despite knowing that for a decade or more the Tory Party had as much connection with conservative ideology as Pizza Hut has with Italian cuisine.

I agree with most if your observations apart from 'the vast majority'. They're hardly content. It was them that gave the Tories their massive majority - albeit naively. The alternative was to really turn the clock back forty years, and not in a nice way. Unless there's a dramatic volte face over the next few months, and the government starts doing what it was elected to do, then I can't see a repeat of last year's election performance in my lifetime again.

As for the halcyon days of 6ft coppers in tunics and Custodians? I would no longer expect a copper to do a shift dressed like that as I wouldn't expect soldiers to go on operations in FAD. Looking like something off the Muppet Show, however, is inexcusable.

Chef

LE
20+ years before PACE. I'm sure we'd all like to go back to the good old days of the West Midlands Serious Crime Squad, the Birmingham Six and the Bridgewater Four rather than expect the police to obey the laws that they are employed to uphold.

Except we don't seem to get that either. When it suits the police they will enforce the law to the letter and beyond, especially if it plays well with the media, Operation Midland springs to mind. Lots of police raiding people's houses with the media on hand, on the unchecked say so of a dodgy character egged on by Tom Watson. Followed by lots of expensive apologies.

Compare and contrast with Commander Paddick effectively ordering his men not to enforce the laws on cannabis in Brixton.

So the police have form for picking and choosing what laws they do and don't uphold.

The fish rots from the head down.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Except we don't seem to get that either. When it suits the police they will enforce the law to the letter and beyond, especially if it plays well with the media, Operation Midland springs to mind. Lots of police raiding people's houses with the media on hand, on the unchecked say so of a dodgy character egged on by Tom Watson. Followed by lots of expensive apologies.

Compare and contrast with Commander Paddick effectively ordering his men not to enforce the laws on cannabis in Brixton.

So the police have form for picking and choosing what laws they do and don't uphold.

The fish rots from the head down.
Interesting, isn't it? We hear a lot about institutional racism. I think that those who complain about it the most also benefit from it the most.

Give an inch, take a mile.*

*Other non-imperial(ist) measurements are available.

Going by the contributions of serving and ex plod in this and several other threads, I venture to suggest that one of the problems with UK policing is that a significant percentage of coppers are whiny, self-pitying twats.

Newsflash, gentlemen: Joe Bloggs, the bloke who's taxes contribute to your wages and pensions? He doesn't give a toss about your problems. He's got more than enough of his own. Joe has to worry about his own and his family's health. He has to earn a living in a flat-lining economy. He has to set enough aside to retire, since unlike public sector workers, Joe will qualify for a state pension about three days before he dies.

So Mr Bloggs wants you to do your job, not make excuses for why you can't. He wants to see the law applied without fear or favour. Not whenever senior coppers feel like it. He wants gangs of rapists to be clubbed like baby seals, irrespective of their skin colour or what Sky Pixie they believe in. He wants street monsters who strike the fear of God into the bad guys. He doesn't want to see them wearing more Gay Pride symbols than a sailor on shore leave, or taking the knee in front of Black Labs Matter like they are about to give rioters a Kamala Harris Special.

He wants to feel protected by the country who's laws he obeys and who's economy he supports. Not abandoned by it and left to fend for himself.

And yes, I know policing is a dangerous job. And I would have zero problem with the kind of scroats who killed PC Harper been given a dance class in the Hemp Fandango. But at the end of the day, if you choose to play a full contact sport, you accept the chance of injuries. Don't join the team, put on the kit and take the wages, then whine about stepping on the field. You're not the only ones with a violent or dangerous job; I doubt most coppers above the rank of Inspector would last a bad Saturday night working the doors in a city centre.

In conclusion, gentlemen,

a very good post saying what most sensible people want from a Police FORCE today!

I would do what I have already done, fix a stiff drink, open the racing pages of the paper and forget about it, for the value of my own mental health.

The Home Secretary tells bare-faced lies to the public about all the harum-scarum changes she is going to make to the immigration and criminal justice systems. She earns great plaudits from the Daily Mail and from posters on this forum, and then sits back and watches as her officials thumb their noses at her and continue doing what they always did without fear of sanction.

A conservative chancellor elected on the basis of sound money ends up shaking the magic money tree that we were told didn't exist and fire-hoses free money at everyone without concern for the future.

The education secretary, despite having almost six months to come up with a plan suddenly finds he hasn't got a clue what he is supposed to do with A'level results in the middle of August.

And don't get me started on a conservative prime minister who oversees the greatest imposition of state power on the liberties of British people in peacetime all because he got a bad case of the flu.

And we still haven't got our oven-ready Brexit yet.

In the face of that the chief constable of Derbyshire's choice of hairstyle is the least of our concerns.

You whine like a frenchman.

You whine like a frenchman.
That's odd, given that my opening remark was that I couldn't really give a shit now, and far from whining I am urging everyone else to give it a rest, as all that their bitching and blood-vessel popping will get them is an early grave.

You want to read whining, read @Werewolf 's post.

Now that's some high-pitched screeching.

That's odd, given that my opening remark was that I couldn't really give a shit now, and far from whining I am urging everyone else to give it a rest, as all that their bitching and blood-vessel popping will get them is an early grave.

So much word.

Such not bothered.

Last edited:

And the Prosecution rests it's case, M'lud. :)

RiffRaff

Clanker
Either that or an ice skater, IIRC. :)
Nottingham City Police, not the county "sheepdippers". The height requirement was flexible; for a recruit or transfer with desirable skills/experience the tape measure was put aside. On the city's frontline (Central Division) there was a time when the average height of street bobbies was 6' 5" - the Pc who patrolled the Market Square was 6' 9" in his slippers - and definitely no bum fluff chins.

Last edited:
Nottingham City Police, not the county "sheepdippers". The height requirement was flexible; for a recruit or transfer with desirable skills/experience the tape measure was put aside. On the city's frontline (Central Division) there was a time when the average height of street bobbies was 6' 5" - the Pc who patrolled the Market Square was 6' 9" in his slippers - and definitely no bum fluff chins.
Why was he patrolling in his slippers?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That was Dennis 'Tug' Wilson. He was legendary in the 70s and people still remember him now.

Police Constable and Ex-Grenadier Guard Dennis ‘Tug’ Wilson retired from the police force [1983]. He was a familiar figure in and around the Old Market Square in Nottingham, well-known not only for his height of 6ft 8in (7ft 2in with his helmet), but also for his magnificent handlebar moustache. He died in 1991.

Nottingham City Police was famous for its very tall police officers; PCs Dennis ‘Tug’ Wilson (7' 2½ inches) and Geoffrey Baker (6' 8½ inches) who were approached and recruited into the force. Both men had been pall bearers and part of the cortege party at the funeral of King George VI in 1952.

bluebell99

Clanker
Yeah, in the 1940's we UK kids well kept at of mischief as much a possible, in fear of getting a clip round the ear from a copper wearing a wide leather belt.
I reckon it started in the 70's. When I was a teenager I was part of a fairly 'boisterous' group that occasionally got in trouble at football matches. We weren't football hooligans, but we were on the fringes. However, if a policeman told us to do something we did it. We were, basically, a bit scared of them. After 6 years serving Q&C I started going to football again (in a more sedate manner) in the late 70's and something had changed. Kids would openly defy the police & tell them to "**** off". They didn't seem to be scared of them any more.

It seems to me, at least, that the police are losing the respect of the public.

I'm not looking for a police bashing thread, too many of those. I'm also mindful that they are performing in very difficult circumstances, they are undermanned (personned?) and under funded. I think these are a given in this day and age.

I'm not sure, however, that these issues are the only reason why I seem to hear of so many people complaining about the police.

Is the current climate due to the relaxing of some entry requirements (height etc?).

Oh, to clarify, I was very keen to make the police my career, however I was told I was ineligible due to having colour perception issues (insert racist joke here!) and that was deemed as unacceptable at that time.

When I hear of, as the expression goes, the man on the Clapham Omnibus complaining about the attitude, general behaviour of the police, has something gone wrong? Are we in different times when, in reality, a more paramilitary type force (witness the styles of dress etc) is needed? Has the idea of the police officer being the upright member of the community for people to look up to gone? Should a police officer be "whiter than white" (I don't think that's a non PC term is it?) and obey the laws they are sworn to uphold and set the example for us to follow?

I know it's a different world out there now, but I do wonder where the police we used to look up to and admire have gone?
No on the beat bobbies, no police stations in the towns. Says it all really.