Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's gone wrong with British policing?

It seems to me, at least, that the police are losing the respect of the public.

I'm not looking for a police bashing thread, too many of those. I'm also mindful that they are performing in very difficult circumstances, they are undermanned (personned?) and under funded. I think these are a given in this day and age.

I'm not sure, however, that these issues are the only reason why I seem to hear of so many people complaining about the police.

Is the current climate due to the relaxing of some entry requirements (height etc?).

Oh, to clarify, I was very keen to make the police my career, however I was told I was ineligible due to having colour perception issues (insert racist joke here!) and that was deemed as unacceptable at that time.

When I hear of, as the expression goes, the man on the Clapham Omnibus complaining about the attitude, general behaviour of the police, has something gone wrong? Are we in different times when, in reality, a more paramilitary type force (witness the styles of dress etc) is needed? Has the idea of the police officer being the upright member of the community for people to look up to gone? Should a police officer be "whiter than white" (I don't think that's a non PC term is it?) and obey the laws they are sworn to uphold and set the example for us to follow?

I know it's a different world out there now, but I do wonder where the police we used to look up to and admire have gone?

Rot starts at the head...

More worried about social media likes than enforcing the law.
Social media is dominated by hard left activists that will instantly mobilise to take control of any narrative.
It's not just the police, same for politics, media and consumer businesses.

It's now an ingrained cultural issue where the tail is firmly wagging the dog - a very small minority is now dictating to the rest of the country. We even have an opposing Government (yep, I now see the Government as the opposition in the parliament run by social media) with a thumping majority still hamstrung by 140 characters.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Things like this become a Chief Constable

Too many of these -

kt1he34zzdd51.jpg

Not enough of these...

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 12.16.37.png

Last edited:
The issue is senior management who are not bobbies bobbies, but politicians.

They are no better than the career politicians we see in the HoC, more worried about their own personal career and next step up the ladder, than enforcing the law or doing what their constituents want.

Before the tears fall, the use of the word things, was used in the fine traditions of "Get that THING off my drill square!"

Yes indeed.

To keep it on Topic.

Where did these fine cubicles of instant justice and setter of scrotes on the straight and narrow go ?

Earls_Court_Police_Box.jpg

It's not all at very senior officer level where the rot starts. A lot of career progression at various stages is dependent, in part, on a demonstrated ability to 'manage change'.

What happens as a result? A lot of tried and tested systems and procedures can be altered or even abandoned solely in order to allow an opportunity for the ambitious to demostrate their 'strengths' in this area.

Naturally, the higher up the tree, the greater the potential to disrupt.

ACAB

LE
What is wrong with the police??? Two words - Common Purpose.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's not all at very senior officer level where the rot starts. A lot of career progression at various stages is dependent, in part, on a demonstrated ability to 'manage change'.

What happens as a result? A lot of tried and tested systems and procedures can be altered or even abandoned solely in order to allow an opportunity for the ambitious to demostrate their 'strengths' in this area.

Naturally, the higher up the tree, the greater the potential to disrupt.
There was a much wiser head than mine who said " Two sorts of copper, one who uses the law to protect the decent and punish the indecent, and one who uses it to say why he can't do something" We have too many of the latter at all levels.