• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Whats Going in Britain?

#1
The following quote is from a Wall Street Journal opinion piece, 17-18 “Mad Dogs and Englishment” by Joyce Lee Malcolm

With Great Britain now the world’s most violent developed country, the British government has hit upon a way to reduce the number of cases before the courts: Police have been instructed to let off with a caution burglars and those who admit responsibility for some 60 other crimes ranging from assault and arson to sex with an underage girl. That is, no jail time, no fine, no community service, no court appearance. It’s cheap, quick, and saves time and money, and best of all the offenders won’t tax an already overcrowwded jail system.

Not everyone will be treated so leniently. A new surveillance system promises to hunt down anyone exceeding the speed limit. Using excessive force against a burglar or mugger will earn you a conviction for assault, or if you seriously harm him, a long sentence.

Using a cap pistol, as an elderly woman did to scare off a gang of youths will bring you to court for putting someone in fear. Recently, police tried to stop David Collinson from entering his burning home to rescue his asthmatic wife. He refused to obey and, brandishing a toy pistol, dashed into the blaze. Minutes later he returned with his wife and dog and apologized to police. Not good enough. In April Mr. Collinson was sentenced to a year in prison for being aggressive toward the officers and brandishing a toy pistol.

How did things come to a pass where law-abiding citizens are treated as criminals and criminals as victims?
Inmates running the asylum?
 
#2
USAFA83wife said:
The following quote is from a Wall Street Journal opinion piece, 17-18 “Mad Dogs and Englishment” by Joyce Lee Malcolm

With Great Britain now the world’s most violent developed country, the British government has hit upon a way to reduce the number of cases before the courts: Police have been instructed to let off with a caution burglars and those who admit responsibility for some 60 other crimes ranging from assault and arson to sex with an underage girl. That is, no jail time, no fine, no community service, no court appearance. It’s cheap, quick, and saves time and money, and best of all the offenders won’t tax an already overcrowwded jail system.

Not everyone will be treated so leniently. A new surveillance system promises to hunt down anyone exceeding the speed limit. Using excessive force against a burglar or mugger will earn you a conviction for assault, or if you seriously harm him, a long sentence.

Using a cap pistol, as an elderly woman did to scare off a gang of youths will bring you to court for putting someone in fear. Recently, police tried to stop David Collinson from entering his burning home to rescue his asthmatic wife. He refused to obey and, brandishing a toy pistol, dashed into the blaze. Minutes later he returned with his wife and dog and apologized to police. Not good enough. In April Mr. Collinson was sentenced to a year in prison for being aggressive toward the officers and brandishing a toy pistol.
How did things come to a pass where law-abiding citizens are treated as criminals and criminals as victims?
Inmates running the asylum?
Can't say I have heard of this at all. Think there would have been uproar if it really happened.
 
#4
I see some of your point - but if that had been in USA - the guy would have been shot the minute he pulled the gun. At least this way he and his wife are still alive.

Are you sure it is not a suspended sentence though ??
 
#5
USAFA83wife said:
Ah, I see where you've gone wrong here. You're reading the Daily Mail and believing the press in general.
 
#6
g2_loony_bin said:
Ah, I see where you've gone wrong here. You're reading the Daily Mail and believing the press in general.
No, I was reading the Wall Street Journal and went hunting for the rest of it. I give up. Go back to sleep.
 
#7
Most violent developed country? Compare our homocide rate with that of the wonderful USA. Job done
 
#8
USAFA83wife said:
No, I was reading the Wall Street Journal and went hunting for the rest of it. I give up. Go back to sleep.
It's called banter or pish-taking... :roll: Don't forget to pick up your teddies and take them with you when you leave.
 
#9
USAFA83wife said:
The following quote is from a Wall Street Journal opinion piece, 17-18 “Mad Dogs and Englishment” by Joyce Lee Malcolm

With Great Britain now the world’s most violent developed country,
Inmates running the asylum?
I think the thick munter that penned that piece needs to look much closer at her homeland where gang members suffer from friendly fire.

Silly cow!
 
#10
crabby said:
Most violent developed country? Compare our homocide rate with that of the wonderful USA. Job done
Oh my, that is shocking! American has a hideous murder! I've never heard that before. My, you are informed.

The piece isn't talking about the States. It's about the UK and your response to your burgeoning violent crime problem. We all know that the murder rate in the US is ridiculous. The point is that the UK used to be a place where one felt safe walking at night. It is no more. If it makes you feel better to sit on that side of the pond and gain some level of comfort by our murder rate, be my guest. The truth is you're six times more likely to be mugged in London than in New York.

DozyBint said:
It's called banter or pish-taking... :roll:
Don't patronize me. That's not "witty" British banter. That's refusing to address the issue by attacking the source.
 
#11
USAFA83wife said:
crabby said:
Most violent developed country? Compare our homocide rate with that of the wonderful USA. Job done
Oh my, that is shocking! American has a hideous murder! I've never heard that before. My, you are informed.

The piece isn't talking about the States. It's about the UK and your response to your burgeoning violent crime problem. We all know that the murder rate in the US is ridiculous. The point is that the UK used to be a place where one felt safe walking at night. It is no more. If it makes you feel better to sit on that side of the pond and gain some level of comfort by our murder rate, be my guest. The truth is you're six times more likely to be mugged in London than in New York.

DozyBint said:
It's called banter or pish-taking... :roll:
Don't patronize me. That's not "witty" British banter. That's refusing to address the issue by attacking the source.
Oooooh, hark at her, time of the month is it dear?
 
#12
USAFA83wife said:
crabby said:
Most violent developed country? Compare our homocide rate with that of the wonderful USA. Job done
Oh my, that is shocking! American has a hideous murder! I've never heard that before. My, you are informed.

The piece isn't talking about the States. It's about the UK and your response to your burgeoning violent crime problem. We all know that the murder rate in the US is ridiculous. The point is that the UK used to be a place where one felt safe walking at night. It is no more. If it makes you feel better to sit on that side of the pond and gain some level of comfort by our murder rate, be my guest. The truth is you're six times more likely to be mugged in London than in New York.

DozyBint said:
It's called banter or pish-taking... :roll:
Don't patronize me. That's not "witty" British banter. That's refusing to address the issue by attacking the source.
Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones

Sort out your own fcuking problems then you can start preaching to us about being a violent country.
 
#13
Hey Ladies and Gents, we shouldn't knock the US Penal system, say what you will but their Jails are f*cking jails and not holiday camps and I do admire their capacity for executing killers!
 
#14
Playing devils advocate here for a moment - if the person in question hadn't been American, and the newsource wasn't American either-how would people have reacted?

Think sensationalist Daily Mail articles.
 
#15
Random_Task said:
Playing devils advocate here for a moment - if the person in question hadn't been American, and the newsource wasn't American either-how would people have reacted?

Think sensationalist Daily Mail articles.

It was also in the Times - which is usually quite balanced
 
#16
Warrior_Poet said:
Hey Ladies and Gents, we shouldn't knock the US Penal system, say what you will but their Jails are f*cking jails and not holiday camps and I do admire their capacity for executing killers!
Does it stop their crime problems though
 
#17
Warrior_Poet said:
Hey Ladies and Gents, we shouldn't knock the US Penal system, say what you will but their Jails are f*cking jails and not holiday camps and I do admire their capacity for executing killers!
Personally, I love the way they execute blacks and poor white trash who can't afford a decent defence even tho they are innocent!

The land of the free and the home of the brave, my arrse!
 
#20
Warrior_Poet said:
Heres a crime statistic.... 100% of executed killers never re-offend..
Here's another one: 1/4 of those executed between 1979 & 2004 had convictions which on re-examination were unsafe or whose circumstances would not have justified the death penalty under current laws and guidelines of implimentation.

Have a nice day, y'all!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top