What's fair game?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by postman_twit, Nov 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a 16 year old lad who works for me who is into his shooting. He currently has an air rifle and regularly shoots on private land. As far as I'm aware, his weapon handling and general conduct is excellent.

He has asked me to be a referee for his shotgun licence and my question regards what he is LEGALLY entitled to shoot on this private land. At the moment, he seems to be shooting anything within range (bird/mammal). If it's edible, it doesn't go to waste.

Any pointers welcome, as I don't want to end up been accountable further down the line.

2. Cow

Cow LE

Have a read of the general licence:

Natural England - General licences

BASC site also covers this sort of question:

General licences

In regards to being held responsible, countersigning someones SGC app is more to do with their suitability to hold the licence. However I think you're right to ensure he isn't being 'shot happy' and shooting anything and everything. Most Shotgun shooting is done for either sport (Clay Pigeon/Game) or Pest Control (vermin: see general licence), as long as you're happy that his intentions are good then go for it, if you've any doubts then don't.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not just the general License, BASC does an all inclusive quarry list with colour pics and charts for the open and close seasons, free download!

4. Thanks to both of you. Will have a read later on and pass on the salient points.