What's different about this SA80 A1?

Trials weapons ?
That reminds me, when is One man and his Dog on?
I watched the last sheep dog trials and not one was found guilty

I actually recall that photo and have looked at it closely, it does have a bipod - I was always under the impression that is what is looked like before the Meccano barrel Housing was added for stability
We had a big green gun with legs at the front when in REME basic, is it that?

The only thing I know about REME is that they had a great bar in Celle.
Every REME bar was good.
We played bridge and discussed how to take over the regiment we worked with.
Or getting pissed off because naked bar shouldn't be called once the ROS and his pretend officer had walked in and the CO had closed us for a week

Every REME bar was good.
We played bridge and discussed how to take over the regiment we worked with.
Or getting pissed off because naked bar shouldn't be called once the ROS and his pretend officer had walked in and the CO had closed us for a week
I had a mate whom I had the pleasure of marching in on OCs orders. He had gotten somewhat inebriated in our Coy bar and decided to chance his hand in the REME bar which I think was at the top of B Coy Block in Celle. In any event they effed him off. For his next trick he broke into the cook house and relieved them of some material and mixed it in a fire bucket before going back to the REME bar and knocking the door. When the door guy opened he got covered in goo. When the charge was read out I had a real hard job keeping my face straight:

24114567 LCpl Martin, T., you are charged under section 69 of the Army Act 1955 in that you illegally used a 10lb tin of Army Issue Custard. Fortunately the CSM couldn't keep his face straight either and the OC just smiled before giving him 14 days in the cooler. The lad died far too young, like many others (for the record, that's not his real number - though the first four might be close.)

I had a mate whom I had the pleasure of marching in on OCs orders. He had gotten somewhat inebriated in our Coy bar and decided to chance his hand in the REME bar which I think was at the top of B Coy Block in Celle. In any event they effed him off. For his next trick he broke into the cook house and relieved them of some material and mixed it in a fire bucket before going back to the REME bar and knocking the door. When the door guy opened he got covered in goo. When the charge was read out I had a real hard job keeping my face straight:

24114567 LCpl Martin, T., you are charged under section 69 of the Army Act 1955 in that you illegally used a 10lb tin of Army Issue Custard. Fortunately the CSM couldn't keep his face straight either and the OC just smiled before giving him 14 days in the cooler. The lad died far too young, like many others (for the record, that's not his real number - though the first four might be close.)
What year was this?
So he made the custard from powder, then knocked on a door that was open. Like in a pub... Not sure mate

What year was this?
So he made the custard from powder, then knocked on a door that was open. Like in a pub... Not sure mate
Edit - It was 1970 or 71. It was also very late at night and I am told the door was closed - as it probably would have been late on to stop unwelcome guests. He was quite a character - on one occasion got away with putting a thunderflash in the CO's 'new' suggestion box, but fell foul of the RPs when he shot the duty bugler with an air rifle......ah well.

ETA Last year, for reasons that are not relevant to the story, I was put in touch with the guy who was the CSM on the occasion - hadn't seen or heard from him in almost half a century. I brought the incident of the custard powder up. He remembered it well. The lad involved, Terry Martin like a beer or few.........about 20 years ago he apparently had a couple and went for a swim........he didn't come back. Custard powder wasn't such a big deal.

Last edited:
It was 1970 or 71. It was also very late at night and I am told the door was closed - as it probably would have been late on to stop unwelcome guests. He was quite a character - on one occasion got away with putting a thunderflash in the CO's 'new' suggestion box, but fell foul of the RPs when he shot the duty bugler with an air rifle......ah well.
And he knew how to make custard from powder, how did he open the tin?
Who was he the Phantom Flan Flinger?

And he knew how to make custard from powder, how did he open the tin?
It's not rocket science and who doesn't know how to open a fùcking tin.

Latest Threads