Whats better waterproof or fast drying?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by thecoops, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having been soaked to the skin recently i was thinking whats better waterproof or fast drying kit ? Before gortex it was all sas smocks and jungle boots and if you got wet you would dry out in half hour, now you stay dryer for longer but when your wet your wet.

2. Fast drying every time.

3. Depends where you're going, how you're getting there and what you're doing when you get there.

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Good wet/dry discipline.

(I still shudder at the memory of the smell emanating from my "wet kit" bag after a few weeks in Brunei!)

5. Swings and roundabouts, really.

CS95 dries quickly if it gets a chance. If it doesn't and you stay pi55-wet through for very long it can get quite emotional.

Goretex seems great if it can shed the rain - lying in a puddle sees it eventually soaking through though. Although curiously, never had that trouble with a bivvy-bag.

Boots seem to be the same. All the guys with Goretex Lowas were still moaning about wet boots two days after we'd been up a stream-bed - my CABs were fine a few hours after we'd done it.
    Lowatribe were happy patrolling across wet moorland in general, but my feet were freezing cold and looked seriously dodgy after a day.

6. waterproof and fast drying does it for me :)

7. waterproof outer, quick drying inner. Or whack one of those self activating hand warmers down your boxers, you can be soaked to the bone but will still have a smile on your face.

8. Depends, if you moving about a lot, tabbing etc quick drying. If your stuck in an OP for ages, Waterproof.

9. Quick drying. Goretex is for hats.

10. As soon as it starts to rain, strip naked...skin dries quicker than cloth...

Anyone who chides you for your nakedness is a hat. Hypothermia is merely a state of mind.

11. I prefer the REME technician way of staying dry. If it looks like rain, stay in your Electronic Repair Vehicle and put the air con/ heating on as appropriate. If someone needs to go outside send one of the non technicians....

....I'll get my (waterproof) coat....and run!

12. Sod that - turn up naked to start with! 8O

13. Cam creme is not just for your face...

14. So its a loin cloth, jungle boots and a big stick

15. If only they had listened before implementing FAD