whats best?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by yorkie79, Jul 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. whats best for press ups and sit ups etc,
    doing x amount of reps over y amount of sets
    or
    going all out for a set time
    or
    going all out untill failure for x amount of sets

thanks in advance for your help

2. I always do 20, take 2 seconds rest, do 15 take a wee break, do 10 thats get me to 45 which is a pass. Then I just go all out in the time left.

Depends how fit you are whether you can bang out 44 or 50 or 60 without a wee break.

Personal preference I think...

Hope I helped.

-PAN

3. to be honest, the first one is good for your maintenance workouts, ie first thing in the morning, last thing at night.
    all out for a set time (say, two minutes?) would be ideal for training your PFT amounts, as then you have a target to beat each time, and a goal at the end of it.
    and the third (in my opinion) would be best incorporated into an existing training regime, ie supersetting with bench press, flys etc.

excuse formatting, still at work. :D

-Tango

4. I would personally do as many as I can in one go, then when I have to rest, do so for a short period (say 5-10s) and do another smaller set. I would keep doing that until my goal is reached.
    So say I wanted 50, that would be 30, rest, 10, rest, 10.

On my last testing (it was on a FAM visit since I'm not in yet) I did something like 75 in the 2 minutes. I think that was in 4 sets (50, 10, 8, 5, 2)

5. thanks, think im going to do a combination of the all
    i run 4 nights a week so im going to do a combination depending on the type of run and how i feel afterwards

6. try to get circuit training in your local gym,it,ll improve your cardio and strength training and give you an insight into military p.t.

7. ive had an insight into pt mate after doing 5 years in an inf regiment, now im re-enlisting!
    ive always done straight sets but now im hearing all sorts of variations etc so wondered what is best. seems everbody differs slightly