Whats being a medic really like ??

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by mrtickle, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. I have just passed my barb test and looking at the options open to me.
    Im really draw to applying to become a combat medic technician and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of what being a medic is really like.
  2. Moved from JU forum.
  3. I enjoy it, as do many others. You will hear alot of guy's on here give the trade negative press, most of those wont be CMT's. There is a alot of change going on at the moment and many opportunities. Just dont expect to be spoon fed the best job's. Work hard as well as play hard and youl enjoy it. Just remember:

1. You wont be a Paramedic after common core.
    2. Someone has to check the tentage and it sure as Sh*t wont be the most senior guy's.

1. Not all Nurses can work in remote areas.
    2. Theres not enough Dr's to cover all the remote locations.
  4. I like this up front and honest outlook, it is a pity that other CMT's cannot take a leaf out of this guy's book and stop whining.

Although retired I keep in touch with folks and on a recent visit to one of my mates still serving I got the chance to chat to some of the younger folks, all they did was complain...

Any job in the Army is what you make it, I had a fantastic time as a CMT and met some great folks, you have some not so good times also and meet tossers also... but what job doesn't

You could do far worse than become a CMT, I wish you the best of luck.
  5. Do it, loads of advantages to becoming a CMT. Just remember every job has ups and downs...
  6. You may have a long wait though, all the courses are booked up, so you may have to wait till a slot becomes available.
  7. Physiological Measurement Technician?
  8. Cow

Cow LE

The CMTs that had me bedded down in Skopje (whatever the US base was called) had nothing to do. However when a couple of Lynx landed with a local who'd been shot in the head they, along with the rest of the medical team stabalised him and got him to the local hospital. He'd lost part of his skull, brains and a load of blood.

They did a good job, shame the guy got left to die in a corridor at said hospital as he was the wrong religion.

P.s. CMTs got to wash the brians of the strecher while everyone else went back to sleep!
  9. I can't really say what being a medic is like, I am unqualified and merely wander around hospitals in a white coat looking at women...
  10. I would like to agree with tony-quet about tentage.

You will see an awful lot of tentage, ahhh damn my eyes, getting flashbacks of 18 x 24s and stretcher trolleys :x

Look on the bright side, you can show off your tent erecting skills after all the practice your gonna get :D
  11. Thats you off my Christmas Card list FF!

12. you lot change your title every 5 minutes, how am I supposed to keep up?
  13. There speaks the OTT, oops sorry that should be ODP! :p
  14. or if youre Lamster you could repeated call us OPDs! (OPDs again)
  15. Based on that, should someone not envisiging joining until early 2010 get down to the careers office? Or would I simply be wasting time going this early?