What's become of the MoD?

Infra is a huge huge issue. I would rant about the Future Accommodation Model (FAM) but that goes slightly OT. But as well as what is identified here, there is a couple of other pieces of interest. One is compartmentalization of budgets. The example is MOD Southwick Park. The kitchens were (probably still are) knackered to the point of needing replacing. Cost a new kitchen - £500k. That's deemed too much, the station is closing. So they rent temporary kitchens. In the meantime, no one can shit or get off the pot and make a decision for the station closure. The kitchen rental cost gets up to say £2m. But that's OK because a minister doesn't have to get up and state they built new infra at a closing site - its all off a different budget.

The other is when people think closing off a budget line, makes a saving, no matter how you dispose of the assets of that line. The example is a certain overseas location where they are disposing of a load of married quarter stock. Local government gets the stock and makes new builds for the MOD. Local government can then put the stock out to tender and get what ever they can. Local government publishes its annual budgets including a boast of how much they spent on the new build for the MOD. Which, if you have seen the minimum bids for the tender of the soon to be ex-MOD stock, means local government tripled their money. Oh yes - and that's before you consider these are the minimum bids - property is at an absolute premium and I know for a fact most properties went for around 3 times the minimum bid.

But that OK because we deleted a line in the budget - ignore the fact that applying a bit of staff capacity we could have made millions selling ourselves at market value...

MoD Southwick Park is a good case. Like much of the MoD estate, they don’t own it. BTW, I am more then happy to be corrected on that, perhaps the bits the MoD do OWN they could get some cash back on.
Anyway, the Andrew took over what was then HMS Dryad after the war on a lease. Since then it has been built on, the RN moved out and it is now used by the Service Police. MoD want to close it. So far, so simple. The terms of the lease are that it is to be returned as it was taken over, I.e. a nice country house (where Ike and Monty planned D-Day, now the map room in the officers’s mess) with tidy parkland.
The current estate owner owns much more land locally. As well as building 3500 houses west of Waterlooville he also will build the new town north of Fareham. Once built, this will be as big as Petersfield. It should be underway, but the landowner holds the strings, so as land values increase, he can delay, much to the annoyance of the local authority who gave sweeping planning permission anyway. Mr Southwick estates also has much more raf reaching business interests.
He doesn’t seem bothered about getting the estate back in a hurry. It was a nice gaff, since ruined by lots of shabby buildings (to summarise and paraphrase him) How the MoD are ever going to get it back to its original state is beyond me. In the meantime, if a bog breaks, you could be taking a long walk for a slash.

anglo

LE
I was in Crab Air in the sixties onwards, the only bad accommodation [wooden huts in good condition]
was in the training stations, we had "H" blocks 8 room, 4 room and single room, later living in married
quarters I never came across bad one and they where well looked after,
Is there any serving Crab Air who can say what the accommodation now?

D

Deleted 60082

I was in Crab Air in the sixties onwards, the only bad accommodation [wooden huts in good condition]
was in the training stations, we had "H" blocks 8 room, 4 room and single room, later living in married
quarters I never came across bad one and they where well looked after,
Is there any serving Crab Air who can say what the accommodation now?
Yes, the RAF had a good reputation for managing its estate. But this was centralised years ago and locally the Stn Cdr has very little discretion. Same buildings but with 20+ years without proper, funded maintenance.

Latest Threads