whats basic really like

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by tankscrow, May 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On day one is ut really just getting gear or would they throw in a run straight away. Also what's the facilities like. You see all these promotional videos about state of the art accomodation and stuff. Is that all just like an incentive for you to join. Thanks.
  2. You worry too much, just excercise and lose weight.
  3. It's scary. You get shouted it, you meet randoms, you don't know your environment.

Then you start the odd bit of banter, you realise there's a couple of good blokes here...then there's more, then you get on well with everyone apart from the couple of psychos everyone steers clear of.

Bugger me though they kick the shit out of you (metaphorically) and you start to realise you are capable of phys you never thought possible....then you go on the smash with the guys with the banter who you realise are you're good mates.

Welcome to the army. You won't look back.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Must be a trick question, it's like asking what's being married really like. It all depends on your attitude going into it. You don't have to worry about the cushy digs, you won't be seeing much of your cot anyway! :muhaha:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. This might just be me...
    Im not joining for "state of the art accommodation and stuff"
    Im joining as I want to be part of something that actually means something and do something with my life not just sit in an office doing meanial tasks!

(Plus you get to play with guns! :D )
  6. You're joining the Army and don't think you'll be doing menial tasks? You won't even get an office to sit in!
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Theres lots of nice people that can't do enough to help you
  8. I remember it been a huge wake up call as to what adult life was all about.
  9. exactly this, wait unil you spend an afternoon of weapon cleaning of the clean weapons that were cleaned for an afternoon the week before and so on.
    • Like Like x 1

10. The bad news is;

Menial tasks, surprisingly often

Playing with guns, surprisingly infrequent.

Assuming that you are not a sockpuppet and your user name accurately reflects where you intend to serve, this applies even more to you.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Locker layouts, smiley socks, sadistic sect comds, show parades stood in the corridors at least 4 times a week in between block jobs and almost rubbing the paint off the walls in prep for the OCs block inspection. Lots of drill on cold mornings, strike, seize and grasp the weapon with those throbbing extremities. Lots of PT, lots of shouty instructors all telling you you're the worst intake yet... Cooked breakfasts for the first time in my life. An arse like thunder most days due to excessive baked bean intake from new cooked breakfast diet. Watching guys tick-tock their arms as they get used to drill. Finding out there are some pretty disturbing individuals out there that maybe should have been screened a little more carefully during the recruitment process...

Yeah basic was fun now I think back to it. And my first stable belt still fits me, 22 years on :)

12. I should bloody hope so! Mine (Household Division) had about 12" of slack available.
  13. Yeah... on Saturday ******* morning.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Absolutely 100% the best experience I ever had in the army was basic training.

Go there with an open mind, work your ass off and you will enjoy the hell out of it.

Don't do what alot of people do, ie leave when the going gets tough. Its supposed to be hard, it would not be worth doing otherwise.

You will meet the best friends you will ever have in training. My best man at my wedding was a guy I met in training.

Good luck, I'm jealous as you are about to embark on an epic journey :D

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Pretty well basic really.
    • Like Like x 1