Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats all this Stealth Camping lark?

Past couple of years, have stealth camped across France to Belgium (GR 60 route). Was planning on going this year somewhere in Europe, but COVID put paid to that, so instead did the Great Glen (which cost me a big toe nail which fell off at the end, a big toe nail which fell off yesterday (nearly four months later), and the which started growing back has just detached again today).

Really enjoy stealth camping though - I think it's a great way to see a country, adds a bit of excitement to it.

Anyone here stealth camped in other countries? I quite like the idea of stealth camping in Germany maybe next Easter if things are back to normal (will probably save the Summer for doing a chunk of the Cape Wrath trail).

Myself and a cousin did it a couple of times as teenagers.
The best memory was, even though we were young, we had the presence of mind to pitch in a hollow and cover the tent with ferns.
On about the second day in the same spot we heard a landy pull up and the farmer and his mate got out and started talking about the rabbit problem, they must have been no more than ten or fifteen feet away and stood there gabbing on about rabbits for about ten minutes but never spotted us.
I doubt they would have minded as the main reason we chose that spot was to shoot rabbits.

Often have a night out if I am on a downer, I suffer a bit from anxiety (Not forces related) came from nowhere about 3 years ago. I often go out for walks at dark o clock and chuck bivvy bag in, old german army meths stove and a tin of big soup. Its the way of the gods, and Mrs RM gets it totally, I am not up disturbing her as she is up every day at 05:45. It is not about being depressed and that at times, it is the freedom and fresh air that is the cure for this world. Take your phone by all means but keep it switched off in a ziplock.
Gentlemen (and Ladies) try it, especially if you have not roughed it for a few years............You will love it.
I go out with my lad into nearby woods for a night every now and again.
You're right in what you say about switching off everything, including the world. He calls it "hitting the reset button."

It's been rewarding watching him grow over the years from a clueless teenager with that "what do we do now " look, to now where by the time I've taken off my bergen he's got his hammock up and is setting up a cooking spot.

RAF Stealth Camping.
Unknown.jpeg

ches

LE
You're all mad. 3 star hotel minimum

Thats too slummy for me, 4 star FFS!!

Used to do the wild camping lark a bit with oppos who were/are nearly all ex mob. We'd bugger off to north or mid wales & using a universal set of access keys I'd got hold of, let ourselves onto gated FC land. There are stacks of isolated plantations ,many of which have seen very little activity from rangers/wardens apart from cursory checks of the locks on the gates to make sure no one has damaged them. In inclement weather it makes sense to hide any tracks going through the gate just in case.
On many occasions I've been laying up watching the wildlife & ppl would bimble by not having a clue we/I was close to them. Had a few hairyish moments too when illegal raves would set up nearby & their very aggressive bouncer types would do an area check. Then there was a time we had been testing some homemade mortars used for launching pyro's so we had a live test on a nearby gathering of scruffy fuckers.

I've thought about it a few times as camping on proper campsites seems a bit of a sanitised experience for me and I bet it's good up in the lakes or something when you just want to spend a couple of days/nights out in the wilderness and under the stars, but then I'm still serving so do plenty of it when on exercise with the added bonus of "Pssst, you're on stag mate" or the joys of RATATATAT, swoooooshhhhh, STAND TO!!! at 3am

I've thought about it a few times as camping on proper campsites seems a bit of a sanitised experience for me and I bet it's good up in the lakes or something when you just want to spend a couple of days/nights out in the wilderness and under the stars, but then I'm still serving so do plenty of it when on exercise with the added bonus of "Pssst, you're on stag mate" or the joys of RATATATAT, swoooooshhhhh, STAND TO!!! at 3am
When you leave, you’ll think “never again”, and I wouldn’t blame you. Then you might think of an evening walk and a night out. Minimal kit, no BS, home for a brew and a soak.

robins1

Old-Salt
Past couple of years, have stealth camped across France to Belgium (GR 60 route). Was planning on going this year somewhere in Europe, but COVID put paid to that, so instead did the Great Glen (which cost me a big toe nail which fell off at the end, a big toe nail which fell off yesterday (nearly four months later), and the which started growing back has just detached again today).

Really enjoy stealth camping though - I think it's a great way to see a country, adds a bit of excitement to it.

Anyone here stealth camped in other countries? I quite like the idea of stealth camping in Germany maybe next Easter if things are back to normal (will probably save the Summer for doing a chunk of the Cape Wrath trail).
Tried it a lot of years ago, north Italy near Pisa, foggy night nobody could read the local road signs, kept on driving through the forest with nowhere to stop. Eventually came to a beach, put up the tent and crashed out. 6.00 in the morning an almighty racket started up, looked out the tent flap to see the Italian army running around firing blanks all over the place! Interesting conversations were had but one-sided as we couldn't speak the lingo before we made our excuses and departed!

The above reminds me. Just after Mrs R made me the happiest man alive we used to drive up to Denmark from Fallingbostel. We would get into Denmark, turn left, and camp up in the dunes for a weekend.
Small tent, crate of tinnies, sand everywhere and watching the sun go down over flawless beaches. What fun you have when you are young and daft!
I got the car stuck in the sand once and had to walk for an hour to find an old guy in a tractor who would recover us. Mrs R and I laughed about it on the way home.

not really on in England, camping on private land without landowners permission, fine, but I've been out lamping and had to run off campers so they didn't get a .22 intrusion into their personal lives.

When you leave, you’ll think “never again”, and I wouldn’t blame you. Then you might think of an evening walk and a night out. Minimal kit, no BS, home for a brew and a soak.

I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys being out on exercise, even when it's bogging and I've had no sleep, I suspect I'll enjoy camping long after I eventually leave the military. The Mrs hates anything outdoorsy where she might get a bit muddy or have to walk on some hills though so it'll always be a getaway on my own or with like minded mates.

I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys being out on exercise, even when it's bogging and I've had no sleep, I suspect I'll enjoy camping long after I eventually leave the military. The Mrs hates anything outdoorsy where she might get a bit muddy or have to walk on some hills though so it'll always be a getaway on my own or with like minded mates.
Not long after moving in with the current Mrs. Grills I mentioned camping.
It was an "over my dead body" moment. I had previously regaled her with stories of sleeping in a hammock made from a KIP sheet under a poncho basha tied between trees in the bundu, etc.
It seems that she'd been camping with the Brownies, once. A midnight thunderstorm, tent blew away, GOT SOAKED, etc. etc. NEVER again she said.
Fifteen years later a best friend of hers keeled over without warning onto the garden table where she was having a G&T. This got Mrs. G thinking of God, the universe and everything else. "Fuck it" she said, we're only here once, we'll buy a tent tomorrow and go camping - "but I want to walk upright in the bloody thing none of this crawling about" - she is, after all 5' 10".
Had some great times, bought her a silk doss bag liner, made her 'range stew', and this:

1607114885360.png

She loves the whole camping thing.

Thank Christ.

arfah

LE
What is the recipe for range stew?

tinned stuff, obviously.
Minced beef & onion, potato, peas.

plus a fag butt, the odd fingernail clipping or three and a piece or two of a polystyrene cup, IIRC?

tinned stuff, obviously.

plus a fag butt, the odd fingernail clipping or three and a piece or two of a polystyrene cup, IIRC?
Well ideally the entire contents of a 10 man box, but nowadays it's a trawl up and down the tinned stuff in the supermarket.
But it really needs the tins of pomme and oxtail soup powder I think.
Oh, and tinned babies 'eads.

tinned stuff, obviously.

Presentation is key. It must be served from a Hay Box, preferably with a ladle sized to overflow a mess tin.

Latest Threads