Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats all this Stealth Camping lark?

Wild camping without the landowner's permission is banned in Wales, though if you are in the woods, who is to know?

Cadir Idris is good for that, there's a stone mountain hut on the summit that's open to anyone

That's if the midges don't get you first

Cadir Idris is good for that, there's a stone mountain hut on the summit that's open to anyone

Are midges an issue in North Wales? I've never encountered the little bastards there but I haven't been that often.

The west coast of Scotland was a different matter, it was like a fog of the flying cunts.

Another way is stealth kayaking, get a sea kayak with hatches, store your camping gear in it, and tour round the coast or waterways and pitch your tent wherever

It's what I used to do

A rather amusing and self-deprecating nutjob. That is one of the upsides of the social media revolution, I'd rather watch him than any amount of mainstream TV shite.

Reminds me of James May in a way I can't quite put my finger on, possibly the 'bloke doing stuff likely to go wrong at some point' vibe.
I think that's why he has such a following, he's never pretended to be an expert, just a rather limited enthusiast.

Are midges an issue in North Wales? I've never encountered the little bastards there but I haven't been that often.

The west coast of Scotland was a different matter, it was like a fog of the flying cnuts.

Most places are fine, the woodland areas around Betys y Coed can be horrible for midges, but generally it's ok

It's the peaty ground around Cader Idris that seems to attract them

Dartmoor Okehampton camp around the range road has some nice spots, Dinger Tor for one. It's the one thing I miss being able to do these days since my mobility is fcuked.

Outside of the 'Okehampton camp' There are plenty of spots where you can park up, tab a little and bivie up, (dossbag and bivi bag is all you need) brew up and then watch the sun go down in splendid isolation. Then in the morning pack up and leave the same place unspoiled. Best done in the spring.

Obviously leaving your approximate grid and having appropriate 'Oh Fcuk kit and comms' because we should know better, than need to have the Dartmoor rescue teams having to trail after us.
Okehampton camp would not be my choice of des res, bit like Drip but less facilities. Getting out for a night is the way ahead and your significant others appreciate it. At the same time thinks you are mad as fuck like but hey ho.
"Dinger Tor" don't tell him @dingerr he has his own Tor named after him, when the pubs open up again you can just hear it "You will never believe it but on Dartmoor............" :cool:

The west coast of Scotland was a different matter, it was like a fog of the flying cnuts.
No midges in N Wales. You rest assured.
Watch out for the llmidges, though. They generally only attack English people.
It‘s OK, though. All you have to do is go into any small shop in Wales (the usual place of doom for the English person) and shout: a “kilogram of your finest llmidge repellent, please, Mrs Jones!”
Should see you you right. Be warned, has little effect beyond Chepstow or Chester.
Some may point out: I have thus given away the last few secrets of the llmidge. I say: the llmidge will live. And thrive.

Wild/Stealth camping together with wild swimming is what we used to call camping and swimming in my yoof, until the trendy and right on brigade reinvented it....

Just sayin.....

JB

Okehampton camp would not be my choice of des res, bit like Drip but less facilities. Getting out for a night is the way ahead and your significant others appreciate it. At the same time thinks you are mad as **** like but hey ho.
"Dinger Tor" don't tell him @dingerr he has his own Tor named after him, when the pubs open up again you can just hear it "You will never believe it but on Dartmoor............" :cool:

No not the camp drive up on to the range road, there are places you can safely leave a vehicle, of course when trg area not in use and not a bad idea to let the Gd Room know, But there are plenty of spots all over Dartmoor, same no doubt around Sennybridge etc.

I just like me Tors. But as I said thats not something I can do any longer, and that miss wild camping.

Wild/Stealth camping together with wild swimming is what we used to call camping and swimming in my yoof, until the trendy and right on brigade reinvented it....

Just sayin.....

JB
But people can't write blog posts introducing morons to 'swimming' and 'camping' as the target audience have already heard of those. Therefore the need to invent pointless categories to differentiate their output to something 'new'.

Most places are fine, the woodland areas around Betys y Coed can be horrible for midges, but generally it's ok

It's the peaty ground around Cader Idris that seems to attract them

Betys y Coed has good access to some nice spots too.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am off to do some 'wild camping' under my duvet in my nice centrally heated bedroom! Fcuk going out in the cold!

But people can't write blog posts introducing morons to 'swimming' and 'camping' as the target audience have already heard of those. Therefore the need to invent pointless categories to differentiate their output to something 'new'.

This in spades. Also being on trend also attracts those who are least suited to undertaking such activities, listen to the EM (pbuh) and cause the most mess and litter and need for emergency services.

This in spades. Also being on trend also attracts those who are least suited to undertaking such activities, listen to the EM (pbuh) and cause the most mess and litter and need for emergency services.
Agreed. I sound like a snobby elitist cunt when I say some specimens of humanity should not be allowed outdoors as they seem to wallow in their own waste. If they get outside they just scatter litter around them.

If this was a dictatorship then littering would be an immediate death sentence. There would be an immediate issue with all the corpses but long term it would work out.

Slime

LE
Great thread subject.
I used to love stealth camping, and would do it very regularly.
It was a good way to just briefly get away from things, cook something up nice to eat and relax.

I enjoyed finding sites to sleep in places quite close to normal life, but where I wouldn’t be seen or found :)

I am off to do some 'wild camping' under my duvet in my nice centrally heated bedroom! Fcuk going out in the cold!

There are some hardy souls out there, every time the snow does hit, I still see people camping out by Capel Curig not far from the climbers cafe there

There are some hardy souls out there, every time the snow does hit, I still see people camping out by Capel Curig not far from the climbers cafe there

Would that be the close too the bar that has half a mountain side? as a wall. Cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place... but a few good evening had there.

I did my DoE gold trip around Cadir, Abergynolwyn, the Alternative Technology and Mach Loop, wild camped every night unstealthy without any issues.

I do like the earlier comment Amateur Tramp!!

Stealth Camping isn’t really about wild camping it’s meant to be camping in public spots without being disturbed, not my bag, I prefer to get away from it all and not doss in a public park near dog shit and junkies and doggers used condoms.

Latest Threads