Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats all this Stealth Camping lark?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
There seems to be a growth on you tube of blokes nipping into the wood for a nights kip under a tarp and behind some bushes. Why dont the go for a week and realy survive if thats the gig . One night in Epping forest wouldn't do it for me.
Do any of you lot go out for the night?
One obvious exception, i do have a friend with PSTD who needs to get away from it all occasionally but he just kips under a plastic sheet , in all weathers.
Sod that for a game of soldiers

964ST

Old-Salt
There seems to be a growth on you tube of blokes nipping into the wood for a nights kip under a tarp and behind some bushes. Why dont the go for a week and realy survive if thats the gig . One night in Epping forest wouldn't do it for me.
One obvious exception, i do have a friend with PSTD who needs to get away from it all occasionally but he just kips under a plastic sheet , in all weathers.
Somebody has to be taking the responsibility of „Filming of Doggers“

Is this the same as wild camping?
If so, it can be a bit of fun. Best done somewhere off the beaten track in summer. A nice evening walk, bivvy up and watch the stars with a hip flask. Wake up early and bimble down hill to a cooked breakfast in a cafe.
No need to film it though.

I occasionally go out with rifle and NV/thermal etc doing a bit of foxing until most peoples getting up time , I`ve dozed off a few times but sod going just to sleep ....unless you know of any thirty something young ladies who would like a woodland experience at night ?

Stealth camping is effectively the same as wild camping, without being a dick head:
Leave no rubbish or sign that you’ve been there

It should be about camping somewhere, setting up late and getting up early, so you don’t disturb or annoy others.
It implies camping where you are not meant to be camping, which could be trespassing.
Farmers for example might tolerate and ignore responsible ‘stealth campers’ - the old equivalent would have been to ask nicely at the farm house and buy some eggs etc to camp with permission, or try and get away with camping with subtlety

I dislike the phrase 'stealth camping' as it makes an overnight kip sound like something out of an Andy McNab book rather than being an amateur tramp.

For me the area I'm in it's a pain to find a proper campsite (plus paying for one is a waste of beer tokens) so I'll just kip a fair distance off a path. I tend to do it a bit in summer weekends, bollocks to doing that at this time of year.

Also helpful for not paying for hotels when skint. Always nice to wake up overlooking a local landmark before going to an appointment with only joggers and people walking dogs for company.

I occasionally go out with rifle and NV/thermal etc doing a bit of foxing until most peoples getting up time , I`ve dozed off a few times but sod going just to sleep ....unless you know of any thirty something young ladies who would like a woodland experience at night ?
If you've got a rifle I'm not sure they get a say in the matter.

arfah

LE
What Tommikka said.

I use a mini camper van, so it’s not necessary to basha up or use a tent.
The most important thing to remember is to turn your headlights off otherwise you may get unwanted attention...

We would have been quite stealthy a few years ago if I'd painted the LR a suitable colour.

1607015304850.png

Often have a night out if I am on a downer, I suffer a bit from anxiety (Not forces related) came from nowhere about 3 years ago. I often go out for walks at dark o clock and chuck bivvy bag in, old german army meths stove and a tin of big soup. Its the way of the gods, and Mrs RM gets it totally, I am not up disturbing her as she is up every day at 05:45. It is not about being depressed and that at times, it is the freedom and fresh air that is the cure for this world. Take your phone by all means but keep it switched off in a ziplock.
Gentlemen (and Ladies) try it, especially if you have not roughed it for a few years............You will love it.

Used to something of the sort but underground in disused lead mines

Wander off underground and find somewhere dry for the night

You learn on the first night to tie a lamp to you before you go to sleep
Waking up and being unable to find a light source is something you only ever do once

Sabretooth

War Hero
Stealth Camping at its best !!

Stealth camping is effectively the same as wild camping, without being a *********:
Leave no rubbish or sign that you’ve been there

It should be about camping somewhere, setting up late and getting up early, so you don’t disturb or annoy others.
It implies camping where you are not meant to be camping, which could be trespassing.
Farmers for example might tolerate and ignore responsible ‘stealth campers’ - the old equivalent would have been to ask nicely at the farm house and buy some eggs etc to camp with permission, or try and get away with camping with subtlety
Farmers might accidentally kill you as well as one unfortunate lad found out this past summer in Michigan. Seems he thought camping in a cornfield was a brilliant idea only to be proved wrong when a forage harvester harvested him at 5am.

Stealth camped on chessil beach opposite the pub for four days in August every year for about ten years. Beer, rum fire kayaks diving fishing was absolutely brilliant chaos. Free parking. Nobody noticed. Past it Now unfortunately
Screenshot_20201203-185201_copy_540x960.png
N

Often have a night out if I am on a downer, I suffer a bit from anxiety (Not forces related) came from nowhere about 3 years ago. I often go out for walks at dark o clock and chuck bivvy bag in, old german army meths stove and a tin of big soup. Its the way of the gods, and Mrs RM gets it totally, I am not up disturbing her as she is up every day at 05:45. It is not about being depressed and that at times, it is the freedom and fresh air that is the cure for this world. Take your phone by all means but keep it switched off in a ziplock.
Gentlemen (and Ladies) try it, especially if you have not roughed it for a few years............You will love it.

Dartmoor Okehampton camp around the range road has some nice spots, Dinger Tor for one. It's the one thing I miss being able to do these days since my mobility is fcuked.

Outside of the 'Okehampton camp' There are plenty of spots where you can park up, tab a little and bivie up, (dossbag and bivi bag is all you need) brew up and then watch the sun go down in splendid isolation. Then in the morning pack up and leave the same place unspoiled. Best done in the spring.

Obviously leaving your approximate grid and having appropriate 'Oh Fcuk kit and comms' because we should know better, than need to have the Dartmoor rescue teams having to trail after us.

Nah, off grid and off plot, no comms, a bit too coastal with the fishing and no RF for signal. Bung the very occasional passing walkers a banknote to get themselves a drink in the pub they'll come to directly on that path, please use the change to phone my home from there and say I'm OK. Not one has ever let me down. Total strangers, kindred spirits.

Latest Threads