What's Aldershot like to live in?

Fleet, parts of Farnborough, Odiham, Farnham etc are lovely and probably what makes the district of Rushmoor a sort after area, not so much Aldershot.
Odiham is in Hart council area. Farnham is in Surrey.
If you must be near to London, Aldershot isn’t all that bad. No worse than other towns.

theinventor

Old-Salt
For 45 mins to Waterloo you could go a bit further west to Basingstoke. With these commuter lines you take the gamble: near end of a semi-fast line (e.g. Aldershot) and get a seat in the morning but it stops a fair few times, or a line with fast services where you're further out but it'll be full when it gets to you (e.g. Basingstoke). Both 45 mins out.

philc

LE
For 45 mins to Waterloo you could go a bit further west to Basingstoke. With these commuter lines you take the gamble: near end of a semi-fast line (e.g. Aldershot) and get a seat in the morning but it stops a fair few times, or a line with fast services where you're further out but it'll be full when it gets to you (e.g. Basingstoke). Both 45 mins out.
Basingstoke, roundabout city, the place they put all the Millwall scum when they cleared out that part of London in the 60s, lets see off spring of aged Millwall fans or the off spring of aging Nepalese, know what I would prefer.

Basingstoke, roundabout city, the place they put all the Millwall scum when they cleared out that part of London in the 60s, lets see off spring of aged Millwall fans or the off spring of aging Nepalese, know what I would prefer.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? I had some dealings with second generation Nepalese where I used to work. They are just as capable of going off the rails as anyone else. They have some catching up to do, but they'll get there.

The town is grim, and whilst there are slightly better bits on the outskirts, you then end up having a longer door to door commute.

I’d be more inclined to look elsewhere...
Slough?

I spent the first seven years of my life in Aldershot ( pad brat). I was also based there myself for three years many years later. Despite my negative views on the place, I have a soft spot. Childhood memories maybe.
I said before, I think the town has tried to move away from just being a garrison town and tried to encourage commuters. Hence why the old camps have been demolished for civilian housing. Although the army also provides an economy to the town.
I haven’t been there for 10 years, so in haven’t seen the Westgate Centre. New cinema with restaurants. The town centre needed something as the Wellington centre or galleries was a ghost town. Empty shops.
With regards to pubs, there are some good ones if you look around.
Regarding Basingstoke, similar to places like Reading, maybe a bit concrete jungle ?

The Para regt never wanted to leave the shot! Never made much sense why they did but that’s another story. Quite a few owned there own houses there.

I'm still looking - curtailed because of lockdown - and (hopefully!!) with a likely downturn in the housing market will be able to make my budget go a bit further than I had expected.

I honestly don't think Aldershot is all that bad having looked around the area a bit and stopped over - no it's not an attractive town centre but speaking to a few people there are plans to redevelop it in the coming years given all the new housing they've built on the old MOD grounds, so it can only get better!

My main issue is the commute (by car) to work which I'd like to keep to under an hour and the cost getting into London by train, so am looking at some options closer to London.

One drawback with Aldershot, from my point of view though is lack of decent real ale pubs (although I'm forgetting what that's like).
A distinct drawback. I used to like the White Lion on the Farnham road (Triple fff beers) but I think it closed? Loads around the area, though.

theinventor

Old-Salt
Regarding Basingstoke, similar to places like Reading, maybe a bit concrete jungle ?
I'm not advocating for Basinggrad, just that you get more by going west rather than east into Surrey. Used to live in Farnham, it was certainly nice 20 yrs ago.

nonstop

Clanker
Depending how much you can afford. Winchfield, Hartley Witney and Hook. I lived in Winchfield behind the railway station.

I'm not advocating for Basinggrad, just that you get more by going west rather than east into Surrey. Used to live in Farnham, it was certainly nice 20 yrs ago.
My first long term girl friend was from Basingstoke.

Oyibo

LE
No it was Willems Park. I think they were derelict for a while before Tesco moved in.
My first pad was in Salamanca Park, next door to Willems Park. When Willems was derelict before becoming Tescos the head shed tried to get access to use it for training such as FIBUA, MOE, search techniques, general rampaging through shitty apartments kicking the **** out of everything.

No dice unfortunately.

But the estates were used for patrolling in multiples prior to NI deployments - good for training, and good for deterrence. (Deterrence meaning, partly, that Pad-Shaggers had to be extra vigilant.)

Unremarkable

War Hero
Why Aldershot? Merthyr is the place to be, if you want low accommodation prices, interesting night life and cheap vodka. You make loads of new friend at bus station and have sexy fun time with mature women who won't press charges.

Edit: Merthyr will have clean water pipe supply system by 2021. You'll like very much.
I'd probably rather be in Maesteg than Merthyr (and clearly you mean Merthyr Tydfil rather than Merthyr Mawr, rather snobby but less Third World. Not to mention smaller).

Latest Threads