What's Aldershot like to live in?

Jammy66

War Hero
I'm currently looking at moving and want to get more for my money which means moving further out from the London suburbs where I live currently.

I've identified Aldershot as a place where prices are that bit lower, but it's still not too bad to get into London and within an hour commute for my work.

The town centre is a bit scruffy but the general area seems fine, nice parks etc. I understand that with all the new housing being built on ex MOD land at the moment that the council will be pumping money into regenerating the town so future prospects seem good.

But, what's it really like?

it's an excellent place to leave.

The council were taken to court as their 'Move to Aldershit, if you're really desperate' marketing campaign was ruled as far too aspirational and failed to demonstrate the suicide inducing qualities of the shithole. If you aren't garrisoned there, don't.

The_Poltroon

Clanker
When I got off the train at Aldershot as a fresh faced young recruit the first thing I saw was a home made sticker some wag had stuck in the stairwell that proudly proclaimed “Aldershot - abandon hope all ye who enter here”

They weren’t wrong

it's only shit if you visit, live, pass by or accidentally view it on google maps.

If it's any consolation it's not as bad as Rhyl

chimera

LE
Do you speak Nepalese? If not; learn.

You mention the house prices are a bit cheaper, why is that I wonder? As others have mentioned the place is referred to Aldershit, there is a reason for that, and it's a good one.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
perhaps consider one of the charming villages in the area, such as Church Crookham.

Jammy66

War Hero
OK but what about the bad stuff?

I don't think I've tried a Nepalese curry before and surely it's a pretty safe town with all those ex Ghurka's about!

nodandawink

War Hero
The town is grim, and whilst there are slightly better bits on the outskirts, you then end up having a longer door to door commute.

I’d be more inclined to look elsewhere...

Without knowing specifically where you work I was wondering, have you considered Jaywick? It might work for your commute.

Property will likely be cheaper on a like for like basis than Aldershit, also quality of life rating for any metric you care to mention is likely to favour Jaywick.

Last edited:

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
OK but what about the bad stuff?

I don't think I've tried a Nepalese curry before and surely it's a pretty safe town with all those ex Ghurka's about!
They are all over 80 and are here because there grandson, great grandson wanted to be in England. Then left them

Last edited:
I'm currently looking at moving and want to get more for my money which means moving further out from the London suburbs where I live currently.

I've identified Aldershot as a place where prices are that bit lower, but it's still not too bad to get into London and within an hour commute for my work.

The town centre is a bit scruffy but the general area seems fine, nice parks etc. I understand that with all the new housing being built on ex MOD land at the moment that the council will be pumping money into regenerating the town so future prospects seem good.

But, what's it really like?
Why Aldershot? Merthyr is the place to be, if you want low accommodation prices, interesting night life and cheap vodka. You make loads of new friend at bus station and have sexy fun time with mature women who won't press charges.

Edit: Merthyr will have clean water pipe supply system by 2021. You'll like very much.

Why Aldershot? Merthyr is the place to be, if you want low accommodation prices, interesting night life and cheap vodka. You make loads of new friend at bus station and have sexy fun time with mature women who won't press charges.

Edit: Merthyr will have clean water pipe supply system by 2021. You'll like very much.

I used to shag a girl from Merthyr at University.

She was a filthly as the town that she came from!

As for Aldershot - don't. Just don't.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Steer clear. At night, the town resembles The Walking Dead, full of drugged up homeless zombies living in the multi storey car park. By day, it's full of old Nepalese people sitting around the place.

There are but a handful of charity shops, a Costa and a ton of ethnic food stores. They redeveloped part of it with a cinema and some restaurants, but they have mostly shut up shop now.

Add into that a healthy home grown chav population and it isnt somewhere I'd move my family to.

Latest Threads