What's a reasonable amount to offer for days work labouring (plus van)

I've got a large room in the back which basically completely needs ripping out as I need it for storage, there are filing cabinets in there, spacers with beams for holding stuff, other furniture, etc

It's basically a day work I estimate, ideally would need 2 persons plus a van for disposing of the rubbish down the road to the tip site,

Reasonable amount to offer?

TamtamPWRR

War Hero
Be aware that what seems like a small amount of furniture, I mean it's just a vans worth isn't it?, can easily turn out to be two or even three trips to the dump. This is especially true if the van is a little Suzuki instead of a Transit or a tipper. Turning up to the tip in said van will almost certainly incur commercial fees for dumping the rubbish, you waving your council tax receipt at them won't change that. As for the labour hire, if you're using mongs then a hundred quid each for the day, more capable people will cost more.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Here's my itemised bill if I was down your way.

Me + van. £150
Labourer £70
Tipping fee. £50

Total £270 payable on the day and in cash.

That's bare bones really, if you get 2 lads who'll do it for less fair play, but it'll be 2 lads fucking about.

Hire a van for a day, promise a mate a few beers and some scran for a days humping and dumping, and crack on.

I've got a large room in the back which basically completely needs ripping out as I need it for storage, there are filing cabinets in there, spacers with beams for holding stuff, other furniture, etc

It's basically a day work I estimate, ideally would need 2 persons plus a van for disposing of the rubbish down the road to the tip site,

If you turn up in a van with furniture, you'll be treated as a commercial bod and charged accordingly. You'll also need PPE if you want to unload the stuff yourself...

And they wonder why people flytip.

Most councils will take stuff away for a fee. Or take up Arte's offer...

OneTenner

Old-Salt
A luton van with tail lift costs circa £90 for a day, be aware they will check every. square. inch. of it when you take it back, inside & out for any damage, so it's probably better to hire man, van & monkey for a day, many advertise on Gumtree and those with waste handling licences (generally) proudly say so. Bear in mind that getting someone else to dispose of your waste isn't a 'fire & forget' solution, if they don't dispose of it correctly and it can be traced back to you, you're the one they come after first.
I had some bulky items shifted a couple of miles, cost me £40 - which I thought was good value given it took them over an hour to load, secure, transport & unload. I could have used my car but it would have taken all day and potentially damaged my car interior.

If you turn up in a van with furniture, you'll be treated as a commercial bod and charged accordingly. You'll also need PPE if you want to unload the stuff yourself...

And they wonder why people flytip.

Most councils will take stuff away for a fee. Or take up Arte's offer...
You can dump household waste including furniture for free at the local council tip. Why would you need PPE?
As long as it does not contain builders waste, plaster board, plumbing, worktops etc.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
I had a lock up attached to a property I was selling. The lock up was full of crap that had built up over the years. I googled rubbish clearance and house clearance locally and found a reputable company called Any Rubbish in the Croydon area with all the right waste disposal certificates accredited by the local council. (It might have been another company called Any Junk - I’ve used both with similar results.)

Two guys with a large van turned up did the job in an hour or so and charged me for the volume taken up in the van (half a van load if I remember) can’t remember the exact amount but it wasn’t too expensive (around £100).

Apparently they recycle what they can (and obviously make some more money from that). Hassle-free transaction.

Last edited:

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Here's my itemised bill if I was down your way.

Me + van. £150
Labourer £70
Tipping fee. £50

Total £270 payable on the day and in cash.

That's bare bones really, if you get 2 lads who'll do it for less fair play, but it'll be 2 lads fucking about.
Too cheap mate...

Advertise the filing cabinets and other bulky stuff for either small amount or free. Buyer to remove.

Thus you get rid of most of it for free, possibly even a small profit. Anything residual, do it yourself.

Where I work, the going rates for a 12 hour day (cash in hand?) are £50.00 for UK nationals or £30.00 for EU nationals

Yokel

LE
Hire a van for a day, promise a mate a few beers and some scran for a days humping and dumping, and crack on.
Not very romantic is it? Beers and scran for being humped in a van, and them dumped!

Advertise the filing cabinets and other bulky stuff for either small amount or free. Buyer to remove.

Thus you get rid of most of it for free, possibly even a small profit. Anything residual, do it yourself.
There has to be a catch there somewhere - but where?

Remember to check to make sure nothing sensitive, or with personal information, is removed before it leaves your hands. Even something like a letter from the doctor with an appointment time could cause problems. Anything with things like National Insurance number is worse.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

If the furniture is reusable you may have a local charity that collects ?

You can dump household waste including furniture for free at the local council tip. Why would you need PPE?
As long as it does not contain builders waste, plaster board, plumbing, worktops etc.
Thats what I was told when I tried to do so.

Where I work, the going rates for a 12 hour day (cash in hand?) are £50.00 for UK nationals or £30.00 for EU nationals
Discrimination on the grounds of nationality, eh?

Your local pikeys are the men to ask, usually cheaper than people who have to pay tax and will actually take your stuff to a recycling centre..

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Going rate in Lincoln mate and it's not my job, it'd be a days fill in between other work. Bit of beer money for a basic labourer.

Im a skilled labourer and can only command £100 a day.

It is what it is mate.
I know what you mean. Cash in hand for a skilled labourer in the west side of East Anglia is around £125 a day and a labourer is £100.

I'm amazed at the low rates quoted by @ExREME..TECH above but I suppose it's all down to the location and how much the customer wants the job done!

Even Cleaners around here get £10 to £12 an hour cash and these rates go up the closer to London you get.

I know someone in this area who goes every day in his small van to the M1, A1, M25 triangle particularly around south Herts, and does any job for £15 an hour or £25 if he uses his mower. He has a nice little customer base and does very well out of a bit of gutter cleaning and garden tidying.

Ah well you're right - it is what it is mate. All the best...

Latest Threads