Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats a good brand of model tank?

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Hi, i like Airfix tank kits at 1:35 but perhaps im being tight or its just what theyre worth these days, but I baulk at paying over 30 quid for a model. Is there a brand that sells same (or close) size at a decent quality for less please?

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not too many I'm afraid. Have a scan through e-bay, you may pick up a bargain or two. Failing that, Tamiya and Italeri produce some decent kits that are perfect for the beginner. Occasionally, one of the site members on here will have a kit for sale of donation. Hope that helps.

Perhaps it depends on your definition of "good" ? Do you mean cheap, well made, clear instructions, or not overly complex?
These people have a list (no idea if they are legit or their recommendations are based on a commission basis?) anyway it may help.
Good luck with it.

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Hi all! thanks for the 2 replies. I should have expanded, ideally relatively inexpensive, well made. I dont mind complex or not (although cheaper sets i would guess would be less complex anyway), and clear instructions. Don't have to have a full history, but id expect to see clearly if theres a fiddly bit exactly where it goes

ches

LE
What Smegger said really. Sub £30 there are a fair few dogs out in the market.
Scalemates is a good resource to use, will provide reviews if available & also has links inc prices to some model retailers so you get a fair idea of cost.
Ebay is def worth a try (if you trust the place - I don't anymore & steer clear esp of private sales) as there can be some bargains.

Daz

LE
Hi all! thanks for the 2 replies. I should have expanded, ideally relatively inexpensive, well made. I dont mind complex or not (although cheaper sets i would guess would be less complex anyway), and clear instructions. Don't have to have a full history, but id expect to see clearly if theres a fiddly bit exactly where it goes

That's you buggered then with a lot of the new stuff, especially if they included etched parts, pointless, for the use of

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's you buggered then with a lot of the new stuff, especially if they included etched parts, pointless, for the use of
Totally agree. The amount of PE sprues I have with nuts and bolts in 1/35 scale. I use the mark one eyeball for modelling, if I can't see it, it ain't there!

Daz

LE
Totally agree. The amount of PE sprues I have with nuts and bolts in 1/35 scale. I use the mark one eyeball for modelling, if I can't see it, it ain't there!
For me that includes small parts like the hull :)

ACAB

LE
Tamiya for all your modelling needs.

Hobby Boss are the cheapest.

There is a faceache group with models for sale or to swop. May be worth checking out

Daz

LE

Latest Threads