What's a DTTT course?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Squeaker, Dec 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a TA SSgt, and I've been told I need to attend a DTTT as part of my YofS (UKOps) training, but not been told what it is, does anyone have any pointers?

cheers.

2. Defence Train the Trainer, required for Phase 1 an 2 Instructors. Need a BIT/DIT qual before you attend.

3. 6 days of being shown the latest fad in instruction, getting dry bummed every time you say 'recruit' and not 'Soldier under training'.

If you did MOI/BITS/DITS some time ago then it is a handy reminder of some things......but if you have been instructing a lot eg phase 1 or 2 then it will be 6 days of your life stolen by the Army for no discernable benefit.

As your TA it can be taken as a 6 day hit for camp or as 3 weekends. The first is based on building the best learning atmospher, the second based on building and maintaining the best learning attitude and the last on teaching revision.

Personally I thought it was a load of crap and learnt nothing...well actually I did learn sommat - that the person who thought up the 'SuT' term is a throbbing bell end of extream proportions. Other than that...nada!

• Like Like x 1
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

That's not entirely true as in those 6 days you can get a CTTLs qualification which would take the best part of a year to gain in the civilian sector.

• Like Like x 1
  5. msr

msr LE

6. It's CTLLS according to the book, Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, it follows on from PTLLS, Preparing to Teach in the Life long Learning Sector.

7. Thanks for the replies all, sounds like it's something I'm going to really enjoy.

I'll probably do the 1-week version, get all the excitement over in one go. By the sound of it, I don't think I'd cope with the anticipation of it being spread over 3 weekends...

Still, at least i'll get a civvy qual out of it that I might be able to use at work.

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

You can actually get the PTTLS via your DITs course now, but still have to pay a certain amount. It's really not worth it to be honest, especially if you're likely to be doing the DTTT and gaining the CTTLS which trumps it by far.

Msr, in answer to your question; the CTTLS is an A Level equivalent BTEC diploma which gives you an 'Associated Teacher' qualification. In the most common scenario it would be used to enable you to teach your subject of trade/professional expertise in FE colleges.

9. I actually found the course to be very interesting. Its not necsesarily the case that you need DITS etc, as long as you hold an Instructor qual such as, dunno, for example Mortar Fire Controller.

10. And then there is the DTLLS (Diploma) which trumps all them as well.

11. The only problem I see with picking up CTLLS at level 4 through the DTTT course is that you do not really gain any knowledge and experience from it (as you pick it up in 2 days). I know quite a few guys who have tried to go on to DTLLS using the CTLLS from the DTTT course and they have all been turned down because they cannot demonstrate the required knowledge and literacy levels at Level 4 (ability to Harvard reference etc) to participate in the DTLLS programme. This meant that they could not do the bridging requirement needed and so had to start from scratch on the 2 year DTLLS programme.

In short the DTTT course is great for picking up a qualification but the CTLLS qualification does not develop you professionally and so does not prepare you for teaching in FE.

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

In and by itself, maybe not. At least as regards to Key Stage 5 (6th Form) learning, though I would argue that it is sufficient for Adult Further Education/Instruction. For example the Design Technology technician at my work place instructs other staff in the county education system on various DT skills by employing a CTTLS qual.

13. I don't doubt some will gain employment but the point I'm trying to make is that the Army is not doing its soldiers any favours by completing this in 2 days as professionally they will be lacking. I mean some of the guys I have spoken to don't even know they have CTLLS!

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Well they should do as they had to fill in all the paperwork for it and should have been posted a certificate afterward. The thing is, it's not just a two-week course. In theory, the qual reflects at least 3 months of working in an instructor role and employing those techniques learned. As those going on the course are (mostly) to be employed in some form of Instructor role, I think the Army (perhaps as you suggest, wrongly) assumes the 3 month On the Job Training as a given.

15. Getting back on thread, I did the course recently and spent some late nights working as I didn't prep properly. If you have access to it, take a printer and laptop with PowerPoint installed for your lessons. You have to deliver 2 lessons during the course; one on the ethos of something whether it be on your unit, sport, hobby etc and one lesson on a teaching methodology which is taught to you. I also took an Internet dongle to get content from wikipedia and google images. Sounds a bit extreme but some guys were up until 3 in the morning because they didn't prep. Do your CTTLS portfolio as soon as you can as it all converges into a train smash if you leave it until later in the week. Hope this helps, the course is just another hoop to be jumped through, enjoy.......the drive home