What's a DTTT course?

I'm a TA SSgt, and I've been told I need to attend a DTTT as part of my YofS (UKOps) training, but not been told what it is, does anyone have any pointers?

cheers.

6 days of being shown the latest fad in instruction, getting dry bummed every time you say 'recruit' and not 'Soldier under training'.

If you did MOI/BITS/DITS some time ago then it is a handy reminder of some things......but if you have been instructing a lot eg phase 1 or 2 then it will be 6 days of your life stolen by the Army for no discernable benefit.

As your TA it can be taken as a 6 day hit for camp or as 3 weekends. The first is based on building the best learning atmospher, the second based on building and maintaining the best learning attitude and the last on teaching revision.

Personally I thought it was a load of crap and learnt nothing...well actually I did learn sommat - that the person who thought up the 'SuT' term is a throbbing bell end of extream proportions. Other than that...nada!

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
If you did MOI/BITS/DITS some time ago then it is a handy reminder of some things......but if you have been instructing a lot eg phase 1 or 2 then it will be 6 days of your life stolen by the Army for no discernable benefit.
That's not entirely true as in those 6 days you can get a CTTLs qualification which would take the best part of a year to gain in the civilian sector.

It's CTLLS according to the book, Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, it follows on from PTLLS, Preparing to Teach in the Life long Learning Sector.

Thanks for the replies all, sounds like it's something I'm going to really enjoy.

I'll probably do the 1-week version, get all the excitement over in one go. By the sound of it, I don't think I'd cope with the anticipation of it being spread over 3 weekends...

Still, at least i'll get a civvy qual out of it that I might be able to use at work.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
It's CTLLS according to the book, Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, it follows on from PTLLS, Preparing to Teach in the Life long Learning Sector.
You can actually get the PTTLS via your DITs course now, but still have to pay a certain amount. It's really not worth it to be honest, especially if you're likely to be doing the DTTT and gaining the CTTLS which trumps it by far.

Msr, in answer to your question; the CTTLS is an A Level equivalent BTEC diploma which gives you an 'Associated Teacher' qualification. In the most common scenario it would be used to enable you to teach your subject of trade/professional expertise in FE colleges.

I actually found the course to be very interesting. Its not necsesarily the case that you need DITS etc, as long as you hold an Instructor qual such as, dunno, for example Mortar Fire Controller.

You can actually get the PTTLS via your DITs course now, but still have to pay a certain amount. It's really not worth it to be honest, especially if you're likely to be doing the DTTT and gaining the CTTLS which trumps it by far.

Msr, in answer to your question; the CTTLS is an A Level equivalent BTEC diploma which gives you an 'Associated Teacher' qualification. In the most common scenario it would be used to enable you to teach your subject of trade/professional expertise in FE colleges.
And then there is the DTLLS (Diploma) which trumps all them as well.

The only problem I see with picking up CTLLS at level 4 through the DTTT course is that you do not really gain any knowledge and experience from it (as you pick it up in 2 days). I know quite a few guys who have tried to go on to DTLLS using the CTLLS from the DTTT course and they have all been turned down because they cannot demonstrate the required knowledge and literacy levels at Level 4 (ability to Harvard reference etc) to participate in the DTLLS programme. This meant that they could not do the bridging requirement needed and so had to start from scratch on the 2 year DTLLS programme.

In short the DTTT course is great for picking up a qualification but the CTLLS qualification does not develop you professionally and so does not prepare you for teaching in FE.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
The only problem I see with picking up CTLLS at level 4 through the DTTT course is that you do not really gain any knowledge and experience from it (as you pick it up in 2 days). I know quite a few guys who have tried to go on to DTLLS using the CTLLS from the DTTT course and they have all been turned down because they cannot demonstrate the required knowledge and literacy levels at Level 4 (ability to Harvard reference etc) to participate in the DTLLS programme. This meant that they could not do the bridging requirement needed and so had to start from scratch on the 2 year DTLLS programme.

In short the DTTT course is great for picking up a qualification but the CTLLS qualification does not develop you professionally and so does not prepare you for teaching in FE.
In and by itself, maybe not. At least as regards to Key Stage 5 (6th Form) learning, though I would argue that it is sufficient for Adult Further Education/Instruction. For example the Design Technology technician at my work place instructs other staff in the county education system on various DT skills by employing a CTTLS qual.

In and by itself, maybe not. At least as regards to Key Stage 5 (6th Form) learning, though I would argue that it is sufficient for Adult Further Education/Instruction. For example the Design Technology technician at my work place instructs other staff in the county education system on various DT skills by employing a CTTLS qual.
I don't doubt some will gain employment but the point I'm trying to make is that the Army is not doing its soldiers any favours by completing this in 2 days as professionally they will be lacking. I mean some of the guys I have spoken to don't even know they have CTLLS!

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't doubt some will gain employment but the point I'm trying to make is that the Army is not doing its soldiers any favours by completing this in 2 days as professionally they will be lacking. I mean some of the guys I have spoken to don't even know they have CTLLS!
Well they should do as they had to fill in all the paperwork for it and should have been posted a certificate afterward. The thing is, it's not just a two-week course. In theory, the qual reflects at least 3 months of working in an instructor role and employing those techniques learned. As those going on the course are (mostly) to be employed in some form of Instructor role, I think the Army (perhaps as you suggest, wrongly) assumes the 3 month On the Job Training as a given.

Getting back on thread, I did the course recently and spent some late nights working as I didn't prep properly. If you have access to it, take a printer and laptop with PowerPoint installed for your lessons. You have to deliver 2 lessons during the course; one on the ethos of something whether it be on your unit, sport, hobby etc and one lesson on a teaching methodology which is taught to you. I also took an Internet dongle to get content from wikipedia and google images. Sounds a bit extreme but some guys were up until 3 in the morning because they didn't prep. Do your CTTLS portfolio as soon as you can as it all converges into a train smash if you leave it until later in the week. Hope this helps, the course is just another hoop to be jumped through, enjoy.......the drive home

I finished mine last week. The brief I got was go with an open mind. Must admit I really enjoyed it! As stated above there is some work to do in the evening. The ethos lesson will change after Xmas we weren't told what to though.
Om a personal note though I can see me using some of the things taught for my own development prior to doing my YoS course next September.

Getting back on thread, I did the course recently and spent some late nights working as I didn't prep properly. If you have access to it, take a printer and laptop with PowerPoint installed for your lessons. You have to deliver 2 lessons during the course; one on the ethos of something whether it be on your unit, sport, hobby etc and one lesson on a teaching methodology which is taught to you. I also took an Internet dongle to get content from wikipedia and google images. Sounds a bit extreme but some guys were up until 3 in the morning because they didn't prep. Do your CTTLS portfolio as soon as you can as it all converges into a train smash if you leave it until later in the week. Hope this helps, the course is just another hoop to be jumped through, enjoy.......the drive home
Thanks for the ideas RP, Powerpoint if deffo the way I'd go anyway. Depending on how much leave I have spare from work, I may have to do the weekend (stab) version, so I'll have time to do the lessons during the intervening weeks. And that way I get to enjoy 3 drives home! ;-)

Thanks for the ideas RP, Powerpoint if deffo the way I'd go anyway. Depending on how much leave I have spare from work, I may have to do the weekend (stab) version, so I'll have time to do the lessons during the intervening weeks. And that way I get to enjoy 3 drives home! ;-)
You may have to think again, ours was a seven day one as well Saturday through to Friday.

I have just passed the “Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector” along with its 14 odd essays, with most up to an 800 word content, and various practical’s.
I have also achieved the DITS course in the last two years; I can assure everyone that they are not compatible what so ever, the criterion for the PTLLS is not met at all on the DITS course.
In fact the DITS course would not even prepare you for the PTTLS course

Quite enjoyed my course, some of the lectures are a bit long, but the usual army fag break every ten minutes helped.
Personally I found the coaching side of it the most useful.
The various TLLS quals which can be gained need to be taken in perspective. Instructing a military lesson is different to teaching in a 'civvy' classroom. Nevertheless, if you are willing to put the extra work in to get them, then great! Nice to get something back.