Whatever next??!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pompey, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. British banks are banning piggy banks because they may offend some Muslims.

Halifax and NatWest banks have led the move to scrap the time-honoured symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the Daily Express/Daily Star group reports here.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture deems the pig to be an impure animal.

Salim Mulla, secretary of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, backed the bank move.

"This is a sensitive issue and I think the banks are simply being courteous to their customers," he said.

However, the move brought accusations of political correctness gone mad from critics.

"The next thing we will be banning Christmas trees and cribs and the logical result of that process is a bland uniformity," the Dean of Blackburn, Reverend Christopher Armstrong, said.

"We should learn to celebrate our difference, not be fearful of them."

Khalid Mahmoud, the Labour MP for a Birmingham seat and one of four Muslim MPs in Britain, also criticised the piggy-bank ban.
    AdvertisementAdvertisement

"We live in a multicultural society and the traditions and symbols of one community should not be obliterated just to accommodate another," Mr Mahmoud said.

"I doubt many Muslims would be seriously offended by piggy banks

2. From the HBOS (Halifax/Bank of Scotland) Intranet...

News: Piggybank press coverage

Colleagues may have seen coverage in today's Daily Star and Daily Express newspapers claiming that we have withdrawn piggybanks from Halifax branches.

As colleagues in branches know, we have not used piggybanks for a number of years. Our branch promotional material is organised around our advertising, which for the last five years has focussed on highlighting our colleagues. (i.e that stupid Howard bloke singing "who gives you extra"? Ed.)

The newspapers involved were briefed about our position by the press office but chose to ignore our advice.

3. I bet it was still discussed though...along with many companies not having Christmas do's, or towns not having lights and trees...
    the old 'don't want to upset the apple cart' and offend people stories that keep popping up!

4. As a devout (!) Roman Catholic I am seriously upset by the thought of the anti-Catholic incitements to religious hatred planned for next weekend, or "Bonfire Parties" as their evil organisers call them. I am so upset that I can hardly contain me glee at having just got buckshi a £90 box of Chinese (i.e. non EC legal) fireworks!

I hope that the CRE or whichever bunch of fcul ing busybodies are responsible for this type of stuff come around to check on my emotional state, as I will then deliver a Ying-tong rocket up the bracket to each and every one of them. The big rockets in this box are haugy great big ones too. I am devastated by the anti-Catholic spirit abroad at present and may require therapy...or compensation. Probably compensation actually.

5. another one posted elsewhere some time ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.