Whatever Happened To...

Hi - Caitlin here from BBC Radio 4. Apologies for infiltrating your forum (which is brilliantly funny and interesting) but I have a request to make!

I’m working on a programme for BBC Radio 4 called Whatever Happened To. The programme aims to track down a group of people who worked or studied together at one point and afterwards they scattered and their lives went in completely different directions. We would catch up with some of these individuals to discover how their lives unfolded.

We want to hear from anyone who went in a really different direction to the other people you served with - how you got to the army and where you went from there.

You can reply to this thread or email me - caitlin.benedict@bbc.co.uk - if you'd like to tell your story. Thanks so much.
I like this idea, sound much like "The Renunion " R4 series which was particularly good. If you can match this quality of program that would be great.
Unfortunately, I can't contribute to it, but I hope it works out.

By the way, just ignore all the references to Princess Productions. That was just a total flop of a wind-up attempt.

I wonder what the stereotypical " angle " will be ?
PTSD ?
Alleged war crimes ?
Just remember the basic rule ... Tears aplenty or you're on the cutting room floor .

I wonder if this very select group will be offered a weekend of meetings and interviews in an interesting, alcohol fuelled, perfume drenched, naked-women abundant den of iniquity at the Beebs expense. Mind you I'm ex Navy who became a train driver so for that reason...I'm out. But wish the lovely Caitlin good thingies. :cool:

By the way, just ignore all the references to Princess Productions. That was just a total flop of a wind-up attempt.
My bold. Hardly a wind up, but a genuine attempt from a real production company to engage us in a stupid idea.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Princess_Productions
I was merely trying to stop the OP from making the same mistake.(although to be fair her idea is not quite as bad.)

What more could a homesick squaddie wish for than their young family choppered in to a warzone to keep them company?

I've had a message from Caitlin and of course we're happy for her to see if she can find any interesting stories. I suggested the guys from the 1997 BBC programme Flying Soldiers to see where they are now?

A few years back one of the TV shows did a restoration of a Centurion which had been at Suez, and later the first Gulf war.
In the turret, they found a half-written 'bluey', and tracked down the writer, who was now working in a bank.
Fascinating show, and amazing to see 'his' tank again after so many years.

So, OP, I think you may be on to something here.

Hi - Caitlin here from BBC Radio 4.
Harry Potter wants his glasses back, Jezza never read your whiny letter...

Yes, I read you Twitter content... there's a reason why you follow more people than follow you

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mivvi,

now that you have Bad_CO's top cover, you might like to start the ball rolling by asking the tankies in 'Old and Bold' if they have any personal dits around this :

Wolfgang The Bratty Man: A Legend Of The Cold War

A starter for ten

' In 1983 a young Mick Taylor was a fresh faced 21 year old, two years into an Army career. Today, he's [ insert : grave digger, Circuit operative, multi millionaire Gym chain owner, surf bunny as appropriate] '

Ah, taxi ? For me? How kind.

Last edited:
Mivvi,

now that you have Bad_CO's top cover, you might like to start the ball rolling by asking the tankies in 'Old and Bold' if they have any personal dits around this :

Wolfgang The Bratty Man: A Legend Of The Cold War

A starter for ten

' In 1983 a young Mick Taylor was a fresh faced 21 year old, two years into an Army career. Today, he's [ insert grave digger,Circuit operative,Gym chain owner, surf Nazi as appropriate] '

Ah, taxi ? For me? How kind.
I thought that Mick now had a very successful uphill gardening business?