Whatever happened to the LSW?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by the_wolf, Jul 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been wondering this for a while and as I'm not one of those inf types so I'm not really in the know.

I havent seen it around for a while and my curiosities got the better of me.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

2. Cadets have 'em.

3. Do you think, like the SLR bores, that they whinge that Bren was better?

4. It was, what's your point?

5. I'm an SLR bore, yawn.... The LMG, the 7.62 version of the Bren gun that we sometimes carried in South Armagh was actually a very good piece of kit. It was quite a bit lighter than the GPMG and very accurate. Shame that it was magazine fed really. I don't know how it would stack up against the LSW but I always had confidence in the LMG that it could do the job when I carried it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. we have still got a few in our battalion...... normally given to the crows on exercise

• Like Like x 1
  7. That was the main role of the LSW,hence
    its nickname, 'the crowstick'.

• Like Like x 2
  8. you mean it is not the Long Service Weapon?

they've had my eyes out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crowcannon surely

• Like Like x 4
  10. Long shitty weapon, crow carrying, for the purpose of.

Ours vanished from the armoury when the A1's became A2's

11. Most LSW A1s became L22 Carbines didn't they? Sure I read that in soldier a while back.

12. There still used on exercise sometimes but mostly been replaced with the L129a1 sharpshooter rifle. LsW to me is known as the crowgat

13. I wonder why the LSW was off loaded on the crows, but the sharpshooter isn't?

14. Large silly weapon, hopefully it will **** off and die in a corner.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cos the LSW don't look as good - pants reason I know as in the right the hands the LSW is very good at what is was designed for (a support wpn not a machine gun). Sharpshooter looks ally so crow don't get it.

• Like Like x 1