Whatever happened to the British Warm?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Litotes, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just watched a clip of John Sargent waiting to interview Mrs Thatcher during her leadership contest - wearing a British Warm.

Whatever happened to the British Warm? I haven't seen anyone wearing one for years.

And I am also struggling to work out why it was called the "British Warm"? Am I right; was it so called?

2. I certainly recall it being called that, as for why, I'm afraid I have no idea, other than the obvious.
  3. I always thought they were posh officers greatcoats from WW1
  4. Sounds sexual to me.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not sure of the authenticity of this but: British Warm

Remember my Dad wearing his in the 1950's & 60's.
  6. Left mine in an ex-girlfriends wardrobe.

In 1979.

Never got it back.

Carolyn, if you are reading this, you owe me a coat.

Oh, and my ex wife sent my Gloverall dufflecoat to the drycleaners, didnt tell me and never collected it.

Just realised that Ive got as much luck with coats as I have with women.........
  7. Still got mine.
    Never quite in fashion and never quite out of fashion.

Best clothing investment I ever made.
  8. I guess John Sargeant is wearing it now...
  9. When I first joined the Royal Signals (V) in the early '90s they were still approved as Officers dress in the guidance to Young Officers handbook.

Worn without any rank badges IIRC.
  10. Is that what caused her to become your ex wife?
  11. Left mine on a train between London and Andover :( :( :(
  12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I still believe it can be private purchased by Officer types.
  13. I'm pretty sure you can.

I remember seeing it described in Gunner Dress Regs (but can't remember how old it was).

Originally, it was worn with rank badges (bronze I believe), but this seems to have fallen out of favour sometime after WW2.
  14. Wonderful overcoats made from a very high grade of Crombie cloth they were often worn with plain clothes too - probably why badges of rank ceased to be worn on them during the austere post WW2 years.
    I rather reluctantly parted with mine some time ago after 30 years of faithful military and civilian service as it had mysteriously shrunk!
  15. Still got my tatty old one inherited from a mate of my Dad's a National Service Subbie in the 4/7 DG. So dates from late 50's