Whatever Happened to Sports Afternoon?

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Outstanding, Mar 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems to me that no-one takes sports afternoon any more. Units used to be stood down completely on a Weds afternoon for sport and it was almost compulsory, yet today we cannot get teams out, no-one has any kit and its all gone Pete Tong.

Should Unit PT staff do more, are enough comps organised at a low enough level, are PTIs given suport by units?
  2. Dunno bout' you but I always get a sporty. Our CO is quite keen on it. We have a "have-a-go" Wednesday every month were lots of more unusual sports are organised like archery or rock climbing. There's still plenty of scope for sloping off to the boozer though if thats what you fancy. :D
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

It is pretty much up to the man in charge to direct. We are lucky with the one we have - he is big into value added activities for the boys and a sports afternoon falls into that catagory.

We have sport every Wed. It does mean that we do pretty well right across the normal sporting front and in adventure training activities allowing him to feel righteously proud with the odd good result at Divs and representation at Army in a surprising range of sports, and the boys to enjoy life to the full.

We have a good routine and the boys know that if they kick the arrse out of it they would lose it - therefore the effort goes in.

Saying that, the 6 mile orienteering route used by anyone not taking a sport is a right b@stard IMHO......Good incentive :D
  4. Used to do swimmimng, sports standrads, athletics, potted sports and just about everything else Young Offrs and SNCOs not pulling their weight with the activities - too busy studying for their next promotion!?
  5. Dare I say it...

Yeah, why not...

6. Not again!!
  7. Sports afternoon whats one of them? We don't even get Naafi breaks anymore and if the boss catches you leaving dead on five o'clock thats you in for it how things have changed!!
  8. I guess that really the question is why is that happening? Is it just because the bosses are determined to be seen to be working hard, but forgetting the playing hard piece. Interesingly I heard that at PRB last Friday COs had allowed guys off to watch Corps teams play rugby. Thats good, but why aren't they playing sport more? Obviuosly we cant play too much here, coz sand gets everywhere! but still manage Volleyball.
  9. Surely sports afternoons are not for the likes of the SPS - this is the time when things are quiet and the clerical staff can get some work done as the "workers" are on Egyptian PT - also how do you expect to have a Naafi break - they would then have to interupt working time to get a bit of admin done. This is quite often the reality but surely we should be treated the same as the Regt/Bn we are supporting!!
  10. Couldn't agree with you Payman more. I do understand that you need time to catch up on the admin, but should not you have more staff to do the job ibn the first place. It is real pain when you go to the RAO and discover a sign saying "closed for Admin" seems ridiculous.
  11. Yeah, it seems ridiculous! However, what most soldiers (and officers) can't grasp is that when a clerk deals with a guy at the counter and drops the paperwork into his tray so that he can deal with the next 'customer', is that the tray doesn't empty itself. A 2 minute 'consultation' at the counter can involve a raft of other forms, phone calls and ages of computer input - and that's befor the OC wants his coffee and the SSM wants a list of figures to make him look good. If the office didn't close for a while, when do you think the work would get done? Most clerks at regimental duties already work 12-16 hours per day! (Stop laughing - it's actually true!)
  12. Not laughing Legs mate, I do understand the amount of admin that processing a single claim or pay enquiry takes. My point is that the solution is to give RAO more staff (rather than less as proposed under JPA). This would allow the "front of house" clerks to deal with indivs whilst the "backroom" boys could get on with the nitty gritty.
  13. More clerks - yeah great - except that we're already 650(ish) understrength! Funnily enough - that's the same figure that they're talking about cutting for JPA! Anyone want to transfer to AGC(SPS)?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  14. Heard that JPA is actually getting worse (obviously on the principle that as it improves eventually it will be seen as great system)

Should it be Jery-built Paper Alternative?
  15. I have it on good authority from a friend in the RAF that the JPA system has officially been classified as: