Whatever happened to our seaside?

I live in a beautiful part of Gods Country - Dorset.
Had a family home in Swanage for 50+ years - but our history in various Dorset villages / towns goes back to the Norman invasion.

Unfortunately, this is over.
Just had to sell (because it was left to 5 ; we 5 had 11 )
How can we pass this lovely place on ?

The recent Covid- inspired decampment of city dwellers clogging the roads, shops and beaches has made this decision a whole pile easier.

Anyway it is done - **** it , move on.

Wilts / Hants border here I come.

Why not move from Swanage to Worth Matravers, far from the madding crowds but with beautiful coastline and a lovely local pub and really just round the corner

."grockles?" Emmett's in Cornwall if you please

- I found that people in the South West tended to be very insular.

Cornish used to be, still are if you can find Cornish now, they are hugely out numbered

Maybe less time harping on about independance based on a few fairie tales of Cornish history and culture- and more time spent building local economies and not glass-ceiling themselves as hiring out body boards at Fistral or serving meals in a Padstein restaurant (then state how much they hate Rick Stein)

Don't hear much about independence nowadays,
most of the people working the coast are down for the season, lifeguards etc.
F knows why they hate Rick Stein, it's beyond me

Because off camera he's reputed to be a massive cnut. Full on Adam Richman ego apparently.

I used to want to dine there, but Nathan Outlaw does better, apparently, and is a lot closer to where I live. Outlaw also came across as a sound lad who really cared when I watched one of his demonstrations at a food show.

Because off camera he's reputed to be a massive cnut. Full on Adam Richman ego apparently.

I used to want to dine there, but Nathan Outlaw does better, apparently, and is a lot closer to where I live. Outlaw also came across as a sound lad who really cared when I watched one of his demonstrations at a food show.
Adam who? Don't explain. I seem to recall that Nathan Outlaw impressed on Masterchef some years ago.
I heard Padstow was renamed Padstein as Stein owns so much of it.

I used to be confined to Drecko Beach in Porthcaca (aka Trecco Bay, Porthcawl) most of the summer. One diversion was checking what life might be found in the numerous rock pools.
Some years after leaving the parental asylum, my brother and I were discussing this and decided to have a look, for old times sake.
Bad sign number one: The Bladderwrack our father had us bag up for the garden in previous years was absent. No-one had collected it, there were no footprints.
The pools were almost devoid of complex life, just a little algae where various arthropods were once seen.

Why not move from Swanage to Worth Matravers, far from the madding crowds but with beautiful coastline and a lovely local pub and really just round the corner

Because the World has just gone through a readjustment and everyone wants to move to places like that.
Next door to me was bought 3 years ago for £360k by a young couple escaping South Africa. They spent about £100k modernising it. They sold it a few weeks ago for £695k..
It is now a weekend retreat for someone ' in finance in the City'

Desirable locations are selling almost overnight and the prices are rocketing.
Half the houses on this private Estate are rarely lived in.

Chef

LE
Because the World has just gone through a readjustment and everyone wants to move to places like that.
Next door to me was bought 3 years ago for £360k by a young couple escaping South Africa. They spent about £100k modernising it. They sold it a few weeks ago for £695k..

Having had a squint at the prices round the area that seems like an accurate summary of the housing market round there.

I grew up in Dorset, after a divorce couldn't afford a decent property there so moved to the countryside, more for getting VFM than expecting a worldwide pandemic

I'm must be lucky then, bought a place must 8 years ago now in North Wales in a sleepy village with views of Snowdonia, castles, sea views

A 3 bedroom stone cottage for £140k, seems like a bargain now, especially with an original 50's Aga that came with the property

I grew up in Dorset, after a divorce couldn't afford a decent property there so moved to the countryside, more for getting VFM than expecting a worldwide pandemic

I'm must be lucky then, bought a place must 8 years ago now in North Wales in a sleepy village with views of Snowdonia, castles, sea views

A 3 bedroom stone cottage for £140k, seems like a bargain now, especially with an original 50's Aga that came with the property

Morning @lokiuk,
You jammy jammy :censored:!;).:clap::clap::clap: