Whatever happened to (insert ARRSE member here)?

Yokel

LE
Has anyone heard from @Dunservin lately? I have not read any posts from him for ages, and expected him to be involved in the debate around the recent Defence Command Paper. I hope he is alright as he came across as a decent person as well as a former naval officer with command experience and in particular mine warfare.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Has anyone heard from @Dunservin lately? I have not read any posts from him for ages, and expected him to be involved in the debate around the recent Defence Command Paper. I hope he is alright as he came across as a decent person as well as a former naval officer with command experience and particular mine warfare.
Last posted in the 6 Nations thread on 26/03/21.

Has anyone heard from @Dunservin lately? I have not read any posts from him for ages, and expected him to be involved in the debate around the recent Defence Command Paper. I hope he is alright as he came across as a decent person as well as a former naval officer with command experience and particular mine warfare.
Thank you for your concern but my priorities lie elsewhere at the moment.

Apart from lots of running around the Brecon Beacons with the TA, I’ve been to Wales once.

That was for a year 6 school trip. We climbed Snowdon, went to Caernavon Castle and had a tour of Transwwwewwwyyyyyyyyynnnnnnddddd Nuclear Power Station.

Shittest school trip ever.
Left a lasting impression though, you went to work at Sellafield.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Left a lasting impression though, you went to work at Sellafield.
Honestly I remember walking around the place aged 10 or 11 thinking “**** me this is boring. I will never work in a place like this.”

Honestly I remember walking around the place aged 10 or 11 thinking “**** me this is boring. I will never work in a place like this.”
When the AAC got its first Lynx simulator I was on a Lynx conversion course at the time. During one trip the instructor asked if I wanted to see some of the visual system so he set me up offshore in cloud at night and told me to begin a gentle descent. As we broke cloud I could see about five miles ahead an oil rig with a flame coming from the top, there were no other visual clues and the whole thing looked quite surreal.

I said to my crewman “fück this for a game of soldiers, I’m never going to do this shite”

In fairness, I only did it for twenty five years.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In the 6th Form with only three subjects to study, Wednesday afternoon was extra-curricular in the style of sports afternoon. One term, probably Autumn 71 or spring 72, I visited Sunderland Polytechnic to look at Heath Robinson Computers.

Come end of term I turned to my mucker* and declared computers interesting, but they'd never amount to much. Who'd a thunk I'd spend 30 years in computing, including paying the army and building the app that allows you to access your bank account on their mainframe database?
_____
* Coincidentally to the same mucker, same time frame, I heard Son of my Father, Chicory Tip, played on the newfangled Moog synthesiser and declared music to be starting its death spiral, as people could now create music without the need to understand what they were doing. By the 90s I knew I was right, and in my own mind's eye I declared music officially dead in 2018.

In the 6th Form with only three subjects to study, Wednesday afternoon was extra-curricular in the style of sports afternoon. One term, probably Autumn 71 or spring 72, I visited Sunderland Polytechnic to look at Heath Robinson Computers.

Come end of term I turned to my mucker* and declared computers interesting, but they'd never amount to much. Who'd a thunk I'd spend 30 years in computing, including paying the army and building the app that allows you to access your bank account on their mainframe database?
_____
* Coincidentally to the same mucker, same time frame, I heard Son of my Father, Chicory Tip, played on the newfangled Moog synthesiser and declared music to be starting its death spiral, as people could now create music without the need to understand what they were doing. By the 90s I knew I was right, and in my own mind's eye I declared music officially dead in 2018.
All very interesting, but what's your mucker doing on this site? Should we be concerned you haven't heard from him? ;)

_____
Studying for my O level in Computer Science 1978, we were informed by our sagely teacher that in 10 years computers would exist small enough to sit on a desk.
He did say, though, that the Chinese would turn out to be a bigger threat than Russia.

My oldest friend thought little of synthesisers. He thought that Howard Jones could have introduced himself at the start of his gigs, throw a switch, and head to the bar.
My brother once did just that; he had sequenced the music for a close friend to perform at her church. We set up, showed her what to press and retired to my former local where we had a beer with a friend from my old nurses' accommodation.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm afraid I have some rather distressing news.

This has all arisen from a rather unfortunate spelling mistake quite some time ago, and it just developed from there.

Ravers is not Cumbrian or from Cumbria.

He actually lives in Cwmbran.

Gentlemen, brace yourselves...

@Ravers is Welsh, and very proud of his time serving as Naafi canteen assistant on HMS Cardiff.
Yes yes yes now what news on the bike:???:

Latest Threads