Whatever happened to car-design?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bugsy, Feb 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember in the 60s and 70s, there were "proppa" jam-jars on the road. Practically all of them had a distinctive design and I could even recognise most of them at night just from their headlights. Nowadays, I hardly bother because they all look more or less the same.

Oh the joy of seeing a Daimler SP250 Dart or a Sunbeam Alpine. And even more joy with such comparative rarities as a Jensen F/F (built in the early 60s, and despite what Audi says, this was the first production saloon car in the world with 4-wheel drive and ABS (Maxaret).

First the Japanese started to emulate the "gloop" looking headlight clusters of the European cars and then suddenly all the European cars acquired "Japanese" faces.

I've lost interest in new models they bring out now, since the only thing that's radically different is the badge on the hood.

Anybody else miss the individualism of earlier models?

MsG

2. Well as the egg shape is supposedly the most fuel effecient shape then it is not surprising that most cars look the same.

Still at least the French are trying with their somewhat unusual Renaults.

Mind you do you remember when the Ford Sierra first came out? The reactions to the new shape were somewhat mixed to say the least.

3. Cortina's..how i used to wish i was the owner of a cortina.

4. Sierra saphirre...top car

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Never mind design - about 9 out of 10 cars nowadays are silver in colour. Have the manufacturers a job lot in silver paint. What happened to individualism?

6. That's an interesting point, Auld-Yin. It really is true that the majority of cars on the road seem to be silver. Wonder why it's so popular.

I've also noticed that the majority of jam-jars seem to have been designed originally for LHD countries. So while they swop over the steering for the UK and the ROI, they leave the exhaust systems pumping fumes straight onto the pavement. Small wonder that so many little kids are afflicted with asthma and other respiratory complaints.

MsG

7. I used to work for Lotus Cars , some of those designs that ended up on the design studio floor were very individual to say the least !

8. They are all the same because of the health and safety, emission regs and all that. They leave very little wriggle room once the target market is defined. Have you noticed how huge they are now? Even modest sized cars are bigger than regulation parking bays - and it isn't because we are lardy. Look at the size of the windscreen posts. Can't see round them.

Anyway, I used to have a RHD Subaru made in America. It still had its made in America sticker on it. I'd been told that Subaru America made RHD vehicles for the US Postal Service so I asked the dealer if it was a post van. Not amused, he took the sticker off. Shame, I liked the sticker.

C

9. there are some distinctive cars; new civic and citroen c4 for example (and I like the new volvos... I'm not old, honest)
    However they need to have a certain height for pedestrians, the thickness of pillars etc for crash safety means you can't see out of them anymore. The c4 is the worse car I've driven for a while for visibility.
    What drives me mad are cars that just have a niggling thing that you keep hitting your arm on or pressing the wrong button. I've got a 98 civic that's boring as anything but it works perfectly, it's got big wingmirrors, you can see out of it, it accelerates (ish) but doesn't cost the earth, it's got about 4 buttons and they're reaaally big, it's just simple and it's far more relaxing and easy to drive than most cars out at the moment (having driven about 20cars recently).

Anyway, I vote we let them do whatever they like (within reason), it's a car!!! It goes places and it's how it gets there and how it makes you feel. On the otherhand disgusting cars like kas must be banned

10. You mean cl1torus silver, cos every cnuts got one?

11. TR7 Only car I wanted as a kid

12. Now this is going Back some..............

Ford Zephyr
    Ford Capri
    Ford Anglia (The one with the Reverse sloping Back window!)
    Ford Cortina(with the round back lights)
    Hillmann Imp
    Austin healey
    Morris Minor(Still a few of those around)
    Austin Cambridge-Real leather Seats and Wood inlays
    Toyota Celica - the first ones
    MG Midget
    Vauxhall Cresta
    and of course the Mong car ----Reliant Robin!

13. Bugger off you soft southern barstewards, .. there is only one car worth talking about, the one and only Austin Allegro......

14. Brit Leyland rust bucket but who cares, its fun to drive.

15. Have to agree modern cars are pants, which is why i own the one in my avatar a 1977 triumph spit.