What3words mapping app

Just heard about this recently, and think it sounds interesting.

They've divided entire world up into 3mx3m squares, and each square is denoted by three seemingly random words. It's certainly a simpler form of co-ordinate to remember.

Anyone here heard of it before? Or even used it?

www.what3words.com
Screenshot_20191016-115752.png

It's useful, but I can imagine when I'd really need to use it phone signal might be rather lacking

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am aware of it, in the context of passing a location to blue light services. However, chose not to use it because of the permissions it asks for.

I am aware of it, in the context of passing a location to blue light services. However, chose not to use it because of the permissions it asks for.
I tried to use it to give an exact location (of a potentially poisoned bird of prey) to the Police, but neither the call handler nor the officer who I subsequently spoke to seemed able to use either w3w or lats and longs. We ended up with the copper coming round my house, and me actually showing him the site.

I haven't downloaded the app yet, and am therefore only using the website at present. What permissions does it ask for? Location obviously, but how much else?

We integrated it into our systems about a month ago. Quite handy too.
Bit awkward texting someone a link whilst they are having their life or death emergency and them needing the presence of mind to follow the instructions though.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
My concern with it relates to chinese whispers - if three words are taken over the phone, there is every chance that you might be misheard... Reinforcements.advancing.flanks could end up as pence.dancing.planks...

My concern with it relates to chinese whispers - if three words are taken over the phone, there is every chance that you might be misheard... Reinforcements.advancing.flanks could end up as pence.dancing.planks...
First one is in the middle of the South China Sea, second one doesn't exist, though if the first word was fence or hence, it would be in Minnesota or New York. And that is why they don't have adjacent squares with sequential word groups.

Used it a couple of times at work. Quite handy if you're trying to locate a mobile home or Canal boat which you might potentially want to send some big burly blokes round with a big red key in hand.

Ritch

LE
Just heard about this recently, and think it sounds interesting.

They've divided entire world up into 3mx3m squares, and each square is denoted by three seemingly random words. It's certainly a simpler form of co-ordinate to remember.

Anyone here heard of it before? Or even used it?

www.what3words.com
View attachment 423168
I wish I had this when I fell and my knackered back fell to bits. All I could tell the operator is that I had parked my car halfway along the Snake Pass and taken my dog for a walk and was in a field... That narrows it down a bit(!)

It took 90 minutes to find me and an hour to get me on the way to hospital with the aid of a farmer and his 4x4.

I think it is very useful. My force is considering its use in an official capacity. I have heard it mentioned on the radio where control had been given the 3 word coordinates by the caller but the officer hadn't heard of it. In my case I have the app on my own phone so would have been quite happy to have the coordinates especially as some of the addresses we go to are 'turn left in Aberywerethefyccsthat' and a postcode covers the entire hamlet!

Air Ambulance are very interested, most callers use the King's Arms as a datum from which to give directions! Which KA, which town?

Air Ambulance are very interested, most callers use the King's Arms as a datum from which to give directions! Which KA, which town?
Heard on the radio the other night
'I need police...you know the bridge near Tesco?'
'Which town?'
cue confusion as thivk as mince local couldn't comprehend that the call taker might not realise there is more than on Tesco in the force area....

Heard on the radio the other night
'I need police...you know the bridge near Tesco?'
'Which town?'
cue confusion as thivk as mince local couldn't comprehend that the call taker might not realise there is more than on Tesco in the force area....
I’m dreading the day when someone ‘wrong side’ of railings on a motorway makes their call, and w3w produces something like “Despair.Heaven.Jump”
It’s very handy though, especially when STORM doesn’t recognise an address, new builds etc. Or someone in the middle of the moors reporting hunt saboteurs etc.

I’m dreading the day when someone ‘wrong side’ of railings on a motorway makes their call, and w3w produces something like “Despair.Heaven.Jump”
It’s very handy though, especially when STORM doesn’t recognise an address, new builds etc. Or someone in the middle of the moors reporting hunt saboteurs etc.
Also when the computer mapping doesn't work and the system cant track your vehicle. Plus the dispatcher guiding you in says 'you'll come to a village called....bloody hell, I'm bi-lingual Welsh and even I have no idea how to pronounce it...'

Also when the computer mapping doesn't work and the system cant track your vehicle. Plus the dispatcher guiding you in says 'you'll come to a village called....bloody hell, I'm bi-lingual Welsh and even I have no idea how to pronounce it...'
Surprising how accurate the CLI coords can sometimes be when a mobile calls in via 999 though. I’d say 70% of the time location is within 100m radius.
“Eastings 40375 Northings 41245 shape elipse,semi major, semi minor,confidence 90%”

Just_plain_you

War Hero
What permissions are you concerned about? it only needs 'location'

Just give kids at school a single 40 min lesson on maps.
This is a map. This is a scale, this is a road, what does that tree-looking thing mean ?...
...Yes Johnny, well done , there are trees there.
How do you describe any location on the map? See these gridlines...Yes? See the numbers attached ? Good.
In which order do we give them ? Good question ! Think of a window cleaner ; he moves his ladder across the ground before he climbs up it.

Job jobbed.

Alternatively, most kids have mobile phones nowadays. They all have a map app.

Teach the kids what those strange numbers mean by that icon.
Its where you are in the world.

@BugsyIV has used it many times too.

Latest Threads