What you can´t do without

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Jorrocks, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I´ve lived abroad since leaving the colours seven years ago. I manage to rub along quite nicely alongside Johnny Foreigner, even going so far as to marry one. My diet is pretty local, but I have the odd craving for some good old British comfort food - corn dog hash, sheherds pie etc. My trips to Blighty are becoming less and less frequent, so my ability to stock up is limited. The list is now down to two bear essentials, without which I really cannot live. They are Yorkshire tea (how many boxes of 240 can you fit in a small day sack?) and Marmite (sadly victim of security restrictions on hand baggage).

What are your "can´t live without" faves?

2. I can post you some marmite if you wish?

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Encona Hot Chilli Sauce.

4. Curry and a Chinky....my favourite british dishes.

5. We've got things pretty much covered in France. What you can't buy locally, we get sent from a shop in Paris. Bacon, tea, cheddar cheese are all available locally but Marmite and gravy granules we get sent.

Though I have seen a Dutch equivalent where you can get your toilet paper sent from the Netherlands. 8O

6. Curry and Bacon - not at the same time. Here we have pancetta which is good but not the same as dry cured back bacon.

7. Gyros spice, usually bought in big 500g tubs from boxhead supermakets. Roast chicken just isn't the same without it.

8. Proper British bacon, the German stuff just isn't the same. Also self raising flour for dumplings and gravy granules. Pretty much everythig else is covered. Make my own shepherds pies with fresh ingredients.

9. Good one. I discovered this on a trip down to Gib. Goes well with nearly everything except chocolate cake, particularly if you want that extra kick. Very similar to the home made African chilli sauces that you see all over the continent.

10. I heard that as well. No matter where they are heading, everything will be bought in NL and then schlepped halfway across Europe stuffed into every nook and cranny in their shed on wheels (fcuking caravans). This includes everything from potatoes to beer to bog roll. As for those little messages, they probably say "Can we have our bikes back?" or "Can we have our radios back?" as the Germans confiscated them during WW2.

11. Jock pies, Cornish pasties, Forfar bridies, Melton Mowbrey pies... Oh, and beer. We have lager and lager and more lager but beer is like frogs teeth. So, all the healthy stuff then.

The main thing we miss and it cannot be fetched is drinking water straight from the tap.

12. Fire extinguisher.

Well, I can't help it if I am easily distracted whilst cooking, can I?

Litotes

13. Bacon Butty with loads of bacon in it

14. Bacon is the real problem with foreignland. Especially islamically challenged countries. Oy Abdul, no! Turkey is for wrapping in bacon, not making bacon!

15. don't go to Cyprus for a bacon butty either unless you take your own