Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Rumrunner, Dec 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I grew up in Africa in the very early 50’s. Curry was a way of life there. It was always a Sunday Curry Lunch though. Always a very social event, always chicken and a load of side dishes.

Joining the Army in 62 I remember that there was always a curry on the menu for most mess functions. Much about the same format as Africa, loads of side dishes.

The first real Indian curry that I remember having in the UK was in 68. A mate who was with me as a kid in Africa took me to an Indian in London. I had never been to or seen one before in the UK! Certainly there were none in Tidworth in those days. Nothing like the African Curries, it really blew me away.

I remember in 48 Ghurkha Bde, you could watch Johnny Ghurkha whack the head off a goat opposite our Cpl’s Mess most days at coffee break. Ghurkha curry was great. They did say that all the goats were flown in from Nepal!

I remember having a great prawn curry in Kawloon side. When it arrived, there was just one prawn the size of a small lobster. Fantastic!

Anyway, what year did you have you fist Ruby?

P.S. Hope this is in the right forum? If not sorry
  2. 2005. Made by a gurkha for a gurkha. eaten by me. Tears followed
  3. Packet Vesta-1965
  4. Dead on. :lol:

5. 1978.

The Golden Curry, Salisbury.

Never looked back. Lobster and Mushroom, Pilau rice preceded by Sheek (Sp?) Kebab.

Once had occasion to take on a member of the RAOC, as was, in competition - starting with Madras and ending with Phall.

Good for the Gunners, bad for my arrse!

It was also useful for, on one occasion, getting out of a 0600 run with a Colour Sergeant of the Border Regiment by convincing him (in his pished up state) that curry was the Food of the Gods, he not normally being partial to, "foreign grub." Unfortunately, this was obviously a one time deal and he had a good memory.

6. Johnny Gurkha's, Aldershot 1989. Emotional!

7. Late 70's as a tiny pad's brat in the Sgt's Mess, RE Junior leader's Regiment, Dover. Can't say I remember it very well - my Guiness shandy had probably sent me cross-eyed :D
  8. Rayc

Rayc RIP

If you had the real Indian curry, you would be on the moon without rocket assistance!

The Mulligatawny Soup is actually "Mulla ga tanni", which in Tamil means "Pepper water" or "Rasam".

Even as an Indian, I cannot take it without tears streaming down!
  9. Made by Saidi SNU, the best curry cook in Tanganyika Territory in the 50s, shortly after I was foolish enough to stop sucking milk. He had been taught the true pathway by someone in the KAR in India/Burma during the war, and could give any old Tanganyika meat texture, taste and explosive bowel-movement potential. Heaven. He stayed with us until about 1961 when he was hexed by a witchdoctor ('mganga') and died.

(PS: recipe for edible Tanganyika Chicken: Boil in pot with small round pebble. When pebble is chewable, so is chicken.)
  10. My first real curry was on a sailing trip when I was a sprog, the bloke who cooked it had been in Oman for years
    I've no idea what was in it but it was cooked over 24 hours and added too after that

There was certainley meat and potatoes but dont ask me about what spices were in it , I just knew they were bloody hot

Would kill for a recipe
  11. On this, hope it is not quite off topic:

My first meal out of the camp (Bahrain 64), we are all enjoying a mixed grill. One batter coated item was superb. Me ;'Hey John (they were all called John), is this a local fish?'.

'No Sahib, it is sheeps brains'.

It was bloody good.

Edited for adjustment to quotation marks.
  12. Ah, another “Old Africa Hand” on line. :wink:
  13. Sounds like a Nepali curry. The cooking never ends.... The best bits are those scraped off the sides after at least 24 hours - taste!
    The ATO Bar in Ebrington had one going in the 70's, which was certainly on the slow boil for most of 18 months during my tour there. A kabsa, which is the Arab equivalent (if you like) of a curry, is very different in taste (3 C's - cardamom, cinnamon and cloves + a bit of chilli, but brilliant when cooked properly) and should only take about an hour or two at most. There's nothing better than kabsa and homemade red rotgut when camping out in the desert. Plus a good shag, of course.
  14. dont know if it real curry, but i had beef vindoloo for the first time yesterday.....it cleared my chestcold
  15. Aaaargh, Jim Lad!