What would you like to see on the news?

Here's your chance.

I'm a journo - what should I write about?
I'm not fishing or baiting. Just want to know what YOU think.

Please this is serious. I only take myself lightly not my job:p

Cammo said:
Here's your chance.

Belasussian elections is an interesting theme. However, are you experienced enough in this matter?

What would I like to see in the news? 'Profession of Journalism gripped by shame and self-loathing at what they've become in the past 40 years-mass wave of Journo suicides reported-general populace approves in latest poll figures '

Bradstyley said:
What would I like to see in the news? 'Profession of Journalism gripped by shame and self-loathing at what they've become in the past 40 years-mass wave of Journo suicides reported-general populace approves in latest poll figures '
Let's recall immortal description made by Mark Twain

Who write the dramatic critiques for the second-rate papers? Why, a parcel of promoted shoemakers and apprentice apothecaries, who know just as much about good acting as I do about good farming and no more. Who review the books? People who never wrote one. Who do up the heavy leaders on finance? Parties who have had the largest opportunities for knowing nothing about it. Who criticise the Indian campaigns? Gentlemen who do not know a war-whoop from a wigwam, and who never have had to run a foot race with a tomahawk, or pluck arrows out of the several members of their families to build the evening camp-fire with. Who write the temperance appeals, and clamor about the flowing bowl? Folks who will never draw another sober breath till they do it in the grave.

Cammo said:
Here's your chance.

Less scaremongering and pandering to the Media Owners' favourites/prejudices and more articles and informed pieces written without spin. Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.

Cammo said:
Here's your chance.

You'll gather that some journos on this Site are as popular as a f@rt in a spacesuit.

Unfortunately the media has, over the last 40 years, succeeded in dumbing down everything into 1 minute or less soundbites or column inches.

The subject is not important - correct factual information is. If an assumption is made then state it is an assumption. And do not pretend it is NOT an industry - if you miss your deadlines then come Hell or High Water you will be in the tomtit.

Subject - "We now face a serious threat to our collective NATO security from a variety of external sources and need, in real terms, to increase our Defence Expenditure"

Thats everybody not just the US and UK. As a topic it will go down like lead f@rt because nobody wants to face the truth.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Since I am thinking of upscaling my house, and want something much bigger, perhaps an article headline 'House prices plummet; mortgage costs disappear, and interest rates fall through the floor.'

Or, has that been doen?

Facts and lots of them.

It could be used to replace the hours and column inches of speculation.

See above re Europe, Foreign Policy, etc.

How about some historical references too?

That might mean the journos had to do some real research, rather than taking feeds from Reuters and publicity puffs from companies.

Gordon brown arrested for treason for crippeling uk national defense.

Gordon brown arrested for criminal negligence for failing to provide enough helicopters to our forces in AFG.

Facts not spin, Information not opinion.

Ok, If you want a story to research,

What's become of all our single homeless who used to sell 'The Big Issue'
before they were muscled out by East Europeans?

Might be too contentious though!

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
Facts and lots of them.

It could be used to replace the hours and column inches of speculation.

See above re Europe, Foreign Policy, etc.

How about some historical references too?

That might mean the journos had to do some real research, rather than taking feeds from Reuters and publicity puffs from companies.
I've never used Reuters. Or any other agency. They usually steal from me :roll:

So how do you get people to read a page of facts?
Say you open the guardian on a sunday and there's two pages of facts from say fob amadillo.
Would that fly? Would anybody but a soldier read it?

Historical references is good and time consuming, but it is doable.
I'm working on one right now but that is outside my daily diddly doo. The paper must be filled tomorrow right?

Don't kid yourself. Journos HATE that. There's nothing more boring that doing odd little things for tomorrows paper. Especially if you have too and it has to do with a boring politician. It's sort of like sitting in Helmand in a sandstorm with no food and no wanking room (pardon my french).

Thanks for the comments. But if we are talking facts, don't assume all journoes are the same. Same goes for soldiers.

:lol:

Tawahi-50 said:
Ok, If you want a story to research,

What's become of all our single homeless who used to sell 'The Big Issue'
before they were muscled out by East Europeans?

Might be too contentious though!
I did that already