What would you do with a large sum of money?

Ok a question for the financial gurus out there. I have a large sum of money that I want to reap some dividend from.

It's not enough to buy a property with cash - that would be my first choice.
I really don't want to play the stock market - been there not seen much of a return.
Forget ISA's - already got some.
The savings accounts I've looked at don't inspire me.
It doesn't have to be easily accessed as I don't need it day to day.

Seems like if you're a potential saver and/or investor you're getting a poor deal at the moment.

Oh and before some bright spark suggests their bank account - heard that one before.

Any ideas?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Ok a question for the financial gurus out there. I have a large sum of money that I want to reap some dividend from.

I really don't want to play the stock market - been there not seen much of a return.

Seems like if you're a potential saver and/or investor you're getting a poor deal at the moment.

Oh and before some bright spark suggests their bank account - heard that one before.

Any ideas?
If I were you I'd post on the Internet and hope someone thinks the money is worth giving you a poke.

If it was say, 100k I'd spend 99000 on women and booze, and just waste the rest.

Any ideas?
Ive not got a lot on, Ill give you 6 weeks of complete ****ing lunacy behind your locked front door for half of it.

I'd buy a pony and some cheesy Wotsits.

There is no doubt that equities are the place to be, long term. You say you have ISAs - I bet they are cash, not shares. You can now pay c£10600 a year to an equity ISA.

So, depending on timeline and your attitude to risk - ISA, equity portfolio, some ready cash.

NS&I bonds. If you buy over 10k worth you should get a good return by way of winnings on the weekly lottery.

dizzy.chick

Clanker
Book Reviewer
I'm going to risk being serious on this one. I would invest it in social bonds, similar to what care international do but on a slightly larger scale. They aren't too widespread at the moment but my work is involved in their development. They are trying to find a way to offer a financial as well as social return.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How about some high value goods that you can pass on to your sprogs?

Artwork, jewellery, watches, a Purdey shotgun etc.

Stuff like this doesn't tend to depreciate that badly.

Any ideas?
How much is a large sum?

Not enough to buy a property but may be enough for a healthy deposit, then rent out the property.