What would you do with a large sum of money?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by RearWords, Apr 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok a question for the financial gurus out there. I have a large sum of money that I want to reap some dividend from.

It's not enough to buy a property with cash - that would be my first choice.
    I really don't want to play the stock market - been there not seen much of a return.
    Forget ISA's - already got some.
    The savings accounts I've looked at don't inspire me.
    It doesn't have to be easily accessed as I don't need it day to day.

Seems like if you're a potential saver and/or investor you're getting a poor deal at the moment.

Oh and before some bright spark suggests their bank account - heard that one before.

Any ideas?
  2. Give it to me. IN return I'll rohypnol myself once a week, and give you a good seeing to.
  3. If I were you I'd post on the Internet and hope someone thinks the money is worth giving you a poke.
  4. If it was say, 100k I'd spend 99000 on women and booze, and just waste the rest.
  5. Ive not got a lot on, Ill give you 6 weeks of complete ****ing lunacy behind your locked front door for half of it.
  6. Smudge - great comeback.

It's not the Naafi. Serious question.
  7. If i was you i would spend it on facial waxing. It might take £50,000.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. buy a boat
  9. What you wouldn't even get out of the porch?
  10. I'd buy a pony and some cheesy Wotsits.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. There is no doubt that equities are the place to be, long term. You say you have ISAs - I bet they are cash, not shares. You can now pay c£10600 a year to an equity ISA.

So, depending on timeline and your attitude to risk - ISA, equity portfolio, some ready cash.
  12. Quavers instead of Wotsits and you have a deal!
  13. NS&I bonds. If you buy over 10k worth you should get a good return by way of winnings on the weekly lottery.
  14. dizzy.chick

dizzy.chick Clanker Book Reviewer

I'm going to risk being serious on this one. I would invest it in social bonds, similar to what care international do but on a slightly larger scale. They aren't too widespread at the moment but my work is involved in their development. They are trying to find a way to offer a financial as well as social return.
  15. Nice idea - will weigh up pros and cons.