What would you call the countersunk hook on then back of a Regt plaque?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BuggerAll, Dec 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. BuggerAll

    BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    Mrs BA recently served on board one of HM's Ships and has got a ship's plaque. It doesn't have any holes or hooks on the back to mount it. I'm trying to get one of the countersunk hooks that are usually in the back of plaques but can't find them by Google. I'm probably searching for the wrong thing so I'd be grateful if anyone knows what they are called.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    Try any DIY type shop. They are pretty standard items sold in packets in various sizes. Basically a flat brass plate with a key hole shape cut into them. they even come with the mounting screws. you need a screwdriver and a router to cut the hole. Nothing to it.
  3. 'A countersunk hook'?

    Failing that get one of those brass bar things with notches at the bottom and attach that. little nail at either end and a hook on the wall.

    If you want it flat against the wall, you could flattent he ar in a vice, and then use a wide bit to make the counter sunk bit in the plaque... i'd practice that first though.
  4. BuggerAll

    BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    The only thing I've been able to find is a sawtooth hook. Which could be dug into the back of the plaque to make it flush but that could go wrong without the right tools and I don't have the right tools.

    I'm going to nip along to my local DIY wallah who will still sell a pint o' nails so hopefully he'll have what I need.

    I don't have a router but I have an extensive collection of drill bits up to quite big so hopefully they'll do the trick.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Typical Navy. They find it difficult to mount anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. why don't you sling the plaque in a ******* box and shove in the attic??
  7. Called a keyhole hanger.
  8. Just drill a shallow hole with a small router and hang it on a hook.
  9. Plaque you say? Sounds like a job for a dentist drill.
  10. Dont forget, that stuff is only as strong as the surface it is spread on. Think loose wallpaper, flaky paint and live plaster.
  11. Could always do it the simplest way.

    remind her it is her plaque and sufferagettes died for her feminsm...

    She'll thank you for it in the long run.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BuggerAll

    BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    No luck at my local or B and Q.

    I looked at the keyhole hanger. The ones in the back of plaques usually have a sawtooth arrangement so that the plaque can be adjusted a little to get the position/balance right.

    I think I'm going to have to go down the keyhole route and if its a bit off I'll fix it in place with a bit of bluetac