What would you advise in her position?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldbaldy, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Really the boy are in an impossible position. Going with what they want to do or going along with their mother.
  2. msr

msr LE

They are their lives to live.
  3. I doff my cap to the lads for wanting to join, it shows immense character that they are considering it. However my heart also goes out to their mum, she has sons she can be truly proud of.

Its a tough call and a no win situation for any of them I suspect but I think she should support whatever choice they make.

She has my deepest sympathies.
  4. Its probably worth remembering this story:

and this one:

Saving Private Hubbard: soldier sent home after his brothers die

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

There is also the story of John Rigby who died in June. His twin brother Will returned to Iraq after the funeral.
    Still a very diffilcult decision for the boys.
  6. I can understand why she would feel that way, but her sons will do it anyway. What a situation to be in.
  7. i am so sorry about your son Aaron miss McClure , But my point being is that you cant live your children's life for them .

No matter what you tell kids they will do the opposite , I know you think that if your other children join the army they will have the same fate as your son Aaron , But where do you draw the line ,Life is a gamble and if you stop your other children joining the army when they want to they will hold it against you .
  8. My heart goes out to Miss McClure and her family. Although the decision of whether to join is ultimately down to the sons, I think it is very important they all reach a decision together.

No mother wants to lose a child, and the grief that comes with that im sure is unimaginable. But the thought have having to go through all that again is too much.

It is an honourable thing to join the forces, even more so if a member of your family has been killed or injured. I just hope any decision they make is made for the right reasons.

My thoughts are with you all.
  9. Join lads
    Follow you dreams
  10. Without wishing to sound harsh and unempathetic, she needs to cowboy up and let her sons live their own lives.
  11. i agree that the boys need to follow their dreams. albeit better with their mothers blessing and support.
    mine wants to join the army when he finishes school. my opinion on my brat is that he should learn something in civvie street first, then join up to see if he can stick it out. at the minute he doesnt have the attitude or strength to cope with it in my opinion.sorry for deviating the thread slightly
  12. Me and my brother are both in, My Dad and his brother were both in. That's what families with a military leaning do.

Tragic circumstances, but I would venture that if Pte McClure's brothers do not join then they will regret it.
  13. I joined with my father saying it would only happen over his dead body. Unfortunately, I joined two years after he died.

I can imagine her angst and sympathize. I can also see the lads point of view and how they must have looked up to their brother.

I wish them all the best of luck in any decision they make.