What would make you buy an electric car?

Tyk

LE
It's a moot point once we have a Back to the Future Mr Fusion available, just don't make the mistake that Doc Brown did and leave the main drive on petrol .

Chef

LE
It's relevant because if you had used one you wouldn't be talking such bollocks. No, a DC fast charge station doesn't need to accommodate old cars charging by AC, that's a stupid thing for you to assert.

Maybe go and drive one before deciding they're awful, or alternatively maybe just stop bullshitting.
A fair point, however firstly that implies that older cars will be VOR'd through lack of charging points and secondly that even if your car takes 10 minutes to charge up if there are 5 cars in front of you, not an uncommon occurrence in a petrol station then you're looking at an hour to replen.

Any car apart from a few really exotic ones can go to any garage and fill up. No matter what age they are.

Recharging is not currently a problem as there aren't many about. When there are lots then the fun begins.

tgo

LE
A fair point, however firstly that implies that older cars will be VOR'd through lack of charging points and secondly that even if your car takes 10 minutes to charge up if there are 5 cars in front of you, not an uncommon occurrence in a petrol station then you're looking at an hour to replen.

Any car apart from a few really exotic ones can go to any garage and fill up. No matter what age they are.

Recharging is not currently a problem as there aren't many about. When there are lots then the fun begins.
You have to admit though the 5 or 6 different charging ports is a bit stupid and needs to be resolved to 1, you don't after all, go to a petrol station and choose from 5 or 6 nozzle types.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Worked for BCA delivering cars as a temp job... Drove just about everything.

The electric cars are appalling... The only hybrids which are worth it as those which aren't really hybrids. Just enough electric propulsion to qualify for the gubbermint discount scheme. Lexus one was probably the best but.... Still wouldn't.

anglo

LE
You have to admit though the 5 or 6 different charging ports is a bit stupid and needs to be resolved to 1, you don't after all, go to a petrol station and choose from 5 or 6 nozzle types.
Yer, stupid isn't it, the chargers at Tesco have an outlet socket if you have a cable, so any car can charge up,
the chargers at looe have a cable, if the plug on the end of the cable doesn't fit your car,
you've frecking had it, two charging units for a bloody big car park, there's going to be fighting
when the holiday season picks up and the Emmits arrive
happy days

Nothing.
The carbon footprint of these noddy cars is immense.
Apart from that,if I have to travel more than 200 miles to get to a site who pays for time I spend waiting for a charge point and the time it takes to put more go juice into the li-on power pack?
Fheckin madness - but senior management get a warm fuzzy feeling about ticking the "sustainability" box.

Knobendbampotfheckwits.

And breathe...

Hold on, you expect to bolt a fheckin charging point to my house?

Ever heard of planning permission for shyte being added to conservation areas?

Total tosspots.

Grrrrrrrr - Boris - brexit - greta doomgoblin.

End of rant

Chef

LE
My point exactly. You can roll up to any petrol station in the world and fill up with motion lotion and away. Any make or age of car.

Given the bugger's muddle that is mobile phone chargers you'd have thought the car makers might have looked at torch batteries, CDs, records or cassette tapes, all standard throughout the world.

I appreciate that car makers all have secrets from each other but when Phillips developed the music cassette they took the bold decision to let everyone in on it. Surprisingly it opened up a market for tapes and players which benefited all the makers.

******* pipe dream, worries enough about energy security without this crap.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
My point exactly. You can roll up to any petrol station in the world and fill up with motion lotion and away. Any make or age of car.

Given the bugger's muddle that is mobile phone chargers you'd have thought the car makers might have looked at torch batteries, CDs, records or cassette tapes, all standard throughout the world.

I appreciate that car makers all have secrets from each other but when Phillips developed the music cassette they took the bold decision to let everyone in on it. Surprisingly it opened up a market for tapes and players which benefited all the makers.
Think of it more like the difference between 13A plugs, 16A blue plugs, 32A red plugs and 63A red plugs - they are all for electric but different ratings dependent upon the equipment they'll be connected to. Connecting a kettle to a 63A three phase would present a hazard, equally, connecting a Reefer to a 13A domestic socket would be less than satisfactory - but inherently safe as it'd either not work at all or the fuse would blow fairly quickly....

The point is, in my long-winded way, that they are designed to be non-interchangeable to protect the connected equipment at both ends from incompatible electrical needs and supply voltages. Until all EV on-board chargers and charge points are made equal, there will always have to be differing connectors to protect the users and equipment.

Our real problem is a whole generation of professional politicos who have had such a narrow education allied to zero proper life experience as to make them poor material even for potential lance-jack.