What would make you buy an electric car?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Why would care about Indians? If only 22 of them have a car now, then only 22 of them will (on average) have a car in the future.

And China is getting there

Meanwhile, in the UK people still come out with piss poor excuses.
From the link - to save you the bother of reading it...
The International Energy Agency (IEA) finding suggest that the passenger car ownership in India will grow by 775% over the next two decades with 175 cars per 1,000 people in 2040

From the link - to save you the bother of reading it...

Did you bother reading the other link? About the cheap Chinese car or were you imagining the Indians all driving around in the latest Tesla?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
And China is getting there

Meanwhile, in the UK people still come out with piss poor excuses.
So why should I have to change to a Chinese PoS just because I had 'poor choices' inflicted upon me when I was a bit younger?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Did you bother reading the other link? About the cheap Chinese car or were you imagining the Indians all driving around in the latest Tesla?
No, I was expecting the indians to be driving round in petrol or diesel fuelled vehicles because they still don't have reliable electricity supplies in many cities, never mind the cuds.

So why should I have to change to a Chinese PoS just because I had 'poor choices' inflicted upon me when I was a bit younger?

Generally the poor choices are your own, that why some people get on with lige and other blame everyone else

No, I was expecting the indians to be driving round in petrol or diesel fuelled vehicles because they still don't have reliable electricity supplies in many cities, never mind the cuds.

Im sure they will manage.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Generally the poor choices are your own, that why some people get on with lige and other blame everyone else
Well, opinions are like @rseholes - everyone has them. guess which one matters to me?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
By and large, yes. Maybe if you are young and just starting its excusable, after that its usually your own choices.

Want a job? Join the Army and get 20k basic salary.

What about youngsters with asthma, or any one of a thousand medical reasons? They can't serve can they?

That's not a life choice, nor is it a life choice being made unexpectedly redundant during a World Pandemic either.

Sometimes life goes tits up through no fault of an individuals life choices.

What about youngsters with asthma, or any one of a thousand medical reasons? They can't serve can they?

That's not a life choice, nor is it a life choice being made unexpectedly redundant during a World Pandemic either.

Sometimes life goes tits up through no fault of an individuals life choices.

They are in a minority arent they? Has the Army failed to recruit enough for almost every year for the past 3 decades?

So anyone one who is fit enough to join and is under the age of 45 has had an opportunity, but choose to do otherwise.

Life going tits up through not fault of the individual does happen but normally very rarely, if people can or have bought alcohol/fags/sky/video games/foreign holiday etc in the past, they could have saved instead but chose not to. Then when there is a minor wobble in life, they shriek how unfair it all is.

Basically, labour supporters.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
They are in a minority arent they? Has the Army failed to recruit enough for almost every year for the past 3 decades?

So anyone one who is fit enough to join and is under the age of 45 has had an opportunity, but choose to do otherwise.

Life going tits up through not fault of the individual does happen but normally very rarely, if people can or have bought alcohol/fags/sky/video games/foreign holiday etc in the past, they could have saved instead but chose not to. Then when there is a minor wobble in life, they shriek how unfair it all is.

Basically, labour supporters.
That's a very narrow view, but I really didn't expect anything else.

That's a very narrow view, but I really didn't expect anything else.
Its not a narrow view at all, the UK provides opportunities, if people don't take them, then that's their own fault.

anglo

LE
I understand that you cannot just put EVs out there without a viable source of renewables to feed it, it’s viable here in Aus because renewables are coming on board at suck a pace, storage is the issue for those times renewables don’t work.

If you are saying the U.K. cannot supply enough green power to make EVs viable, and I don’t know what’s in the pipeline, then I absolutely agree, your EVs are just powered by fossil fuels and it makes a mockery of the whole thing.
I beleave Aus has gone the way of battery storage, big time, That the way to go if you want plenty of solar and wind renewables, another thing is, using batteries gives stability to the grid,
Grid stability being a big problem with wind turbine being in the system

I suspect at some stage actual car ownership numbers will fall like a stone as the cost of buying, maintaining and charging an EV will be beyond the reach of an increasing number of Average Joes and Betty's surviving on an Army pension or similar frugal means.. a luxury item, especially for those who do less than 8,000 miles a year

If Joe Average wants to be mobile he joins a car club and books his days out weeks in advance. No more of this "It's a lovely day let's have a day out" stuff... Day to day stuff such as shopping becomes more of a reliance on online delivery. Old folk get used to becoming prisoners in their own homes....

...the future's bleak.... the future's green...

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Today we racked up 445 miles in the Volvo (yes, it was an essential journey).

We pulled off to grab a coffee and change driver at the services on the M4 Cardiff after 3 hours in the car at which point I pointed out to SWMBO that her EV would have run out of charge 30 miles earlier, in contrast to the Volvo having used just over 1/4 of a tank (52 mpg) cruising at 70mph with SWMBO's leaden right foot on the accelerator.

Her comment was that we would just have had to pull off at the previous services for a coffee whist we recharged. My comment that I didn't feel like waiting 45 minutes at the services when i could be back on the road having drunk my coffee in 10 minutes plus that our 8 hour drive would have been more like 10 hours was not well received.

She rather likes the new Golf electric, but was less enthusiastic when I pointed out that the base model costs £35,000, and the extended range version another £5k on top of that and even that would require charging at least once on the trip we were doing on less than 3/4 tank of Esso's finest.

In contrast a full fat 184 bhp Golf GTD would cost £28,000, or a more reasonable top spec 150bhp 2.0 tdi for £24,500.

I suspect at some stage actual car ownership numbers will fall like a stone as the cost of buying, maintaining and charging an EV will be beyond the reach of an increasing number of Average Joes and Betty's surviving on an Army pension or similar frugal means.. a luxury item, especially for those who do less than 8,000 miles a year

If Joe Average wants to be mobile he joins a car club and books his days out weeks in advance. No more of this "It's a lovely day let's have a day out" stuff... Day to day stuff such as shopping becomes more of a reliance on online delivery. Old folk get used to becoming prisoners in their own homes....

...the future's bleak.... the future's green...
I think you’re pretty much right about this. I also reckon that personal car ownership is finished, assuming that the Government actually follows through with banning sales of ICE and hybrids.
I think that car clubs may be an interim solution, but obviously, the ultimate solution comes with autonomous vehicles. In this scenario, there will be pools of EVs connected to robotic chargers in each neighbourhood, and if you need to go somewhere, you get on your iPad and call up a vehicle, which will autonomously drive round to your house, pick you up and take you where you want to go.
Pay as you go service. No need to worry about ownership, servicing, charging etc.
Pretty bleak if you’re a used car salesman.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
There are a lot of people that currently rely on, and can only afford, a sub 1K vehicle.

I can't see the 2nd/3rd/4th hand EV market coming close to that price, I'm guessing that the main cost of keeping older vehicles on the road is going to be the battery replacement.

Anybody know what that cost is?
many of them are not sold outright, you lease the battery
a great way for companies to make money

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
There are a lot of people that currently rely on, and can only afford, a sub 1K vehicle.

I can't see the 2nd/3rd/4th hand EV market coming close to that price, I'm guessing that the main cost of keeping older vehicles on the road is going to be the battery replacement.

Anybody know what that cost is
I paid £3.200 for a 6 year old ex police vehicle with a full service history
a new set of tyres, and service including a cluth and flywheel, and a bit of paintwork that was tatty sorted out and I am still under 4 grand
who can afford 10k for a car
I once paid 9k for a car, 18 months later it went wrong big time, off to a salvage auction, after several repair attempts
stuff that

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Most EV manufacturers give an 8 year or 100,000 mile warranty so replacing the battery may not be very frequent. Prices have dropped over the last year and the cost is down from €1000 per Kwh to $227 per Kwh so a 40Kwh battery replacement would be about 10k (not including fitting). Forecasts for them to come down to the $100 per Kwh pretty soon.
I suspect that is the cost of the storage medium only, the casing, interconnects, charge controller, battery controller, contactor & coolant system that are in the battery enclosure will be an overhead on those costs - plus of course, assembly & shipping of a hazardous item. They are only classed as non-hazardous when shipped as part of a vehicle, not a vehicle part.

Latest Threads