Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would make you buy an electric car?

I'll just leave this here...

4z3uz9.jpg

Diko

Old-Salt
I think BMW with their i3 Range Extender model is the way to go. The small 600cc twin motorcycle engine, mounted between the rear wheels, that keeps the battery topped when getting low would be what’s needed. With a 150 mile battery fitted this would eliminate the range anxiety new EV owners worry about.

anglo

LE
I think BMW with their i3 Range Extender model is the way to go. The small 600cc twin motorcycle engine, mounted between the rear wheels, that keeps the battery topped when getting low would be what’s needed. With a 150 mile battery fitted this would eliminate the range anxiety new EV owners worry about.
Impressive, Now that would do me.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Hyundai is recalling 82,000 electric vehicles after reports of fires linked to the batteries
Models involved
Kona
Ioniq
And about 300 electric buses
Expected repair costs to the company are around 640 million pounds
Eek

NSP

LE
Hyundai is recalling 82,000 electric vehicles after reports of fires linked to the batteries
Models involved
Kona
Ioniq
Eek
Oops...

Models involved
Kona
Ioniq
Eek
That’s going to be a bit of a problem for them due to the regulations for the transportation of lithium batteries.
Basically, if they are not shipped fitted to the vehicle, they have to be shipped as hazardous goods, with limitations on how many can be transported together and special packaging.
This may mean that all these vehicles will have to be transported to a central location where the batteries can be replaced and prepared for shipping back to Korea.

Ev at work is so shit that we have discussed chucking the petrol gennie in the back if we ever expect to use more than 60% of its alleged range

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s going to be a bit of a problem for them due to the regulations for the transportation of lithium batteries.
Basically, if they are not shipped fitted to the vehicle, they have to be shipped as hazardous goods, with limitations on how many can be transported together and special packaging.
This may mean that all these vehicles will have to be transported to a central location where the batteries can be replaced and prepared for shipping back to Korea.
hopefully the repairs can be carried out at local dealers, Hyundai are a massive company with a wide engineering expertise, in fatc many of the recalls that take place today would neveer have been bothered with 40 years ago
when BMC first launched the Farina range in 1958 the problems started to accrue, a repair and modifacation book was published full of technical drawings, images and part numbers
on the fornt in big red letter
Secret, the contents of this document must not be divulged to the press
eahc one had a serial number, being printed at their own printing works in Oxford
I have a copy, no one else has seen one so it must be rare, but the list of faults is horrifying, most repairs woudl have been carried out during general service or repair work

these days you cannot get away with that

hopefully the repairs can be carried out at local dealers, Hyundai are a massive company with a wide engineering expertise, in fatc many of the recalls that take place today would neveer have been bothered with 40 years ago
when BMC first launched the Farina range in 1958 the problems started to accrue, a repair and modifacation book was published full of technical drawings, images and part numbers
on the fornt in big red letter
Secret, the contents of this document must not be divulged to the press
eahc one had a serial number, being printed at their own printing works in Oxford
I have a copy, no one else has seen one so it must be rare, but the list of faults is horrifying, most repairs woudl have been carried out during general service or repair work

these days you cannot get away with that
I have no idea whether or not Hyundai have trained all of their workshop engineers to enable them to swap out batteries on EV's, however, that is not really the main issue.

The main issue is the transportation of the batteries themselves.

The regulations for the transportation of lithium batteries differentiate between
- batteries shipped while fitted in the vehicle
- batteries
- defective batteries

There are a whole host of differences on the marking, packaging and limits on quantity that can be shipped together between these different categories.

If Hyundai can replace the batteries in dealers workshops, they are faced with the issue of transporting batteries that have to be categorised as defective across the country, and then back to Korea.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have no idea whether or not Hyundai have trained all of their workshop engineers to enable them to swap out batteries on EV's, however, that is not really the main issue.

The main issue is the transportation of the batteries themselves.

The regulations for the transportation of lithium batteries differentiate between
- batteries shipped while fitted in the vehicle
- batteries
- defective batteries

There are a whole host of differences on the marking, packaging and limits on quantity that can be shipped together between these different categories.

If Hyundai can replace the batteries in dealers workshops, they are faced with the issue of transporting batteries that have to be categorised as defective across the country, and then back to Korea.
Aha that had not occured to me, I thought they would simply remove the batteries and modify the wiring or fittings
just found this and it looks like you nailed it, complete replacement battery pack and return the old one for mods
be good if you have a high mileage one with a worn battery !!

Last edited:
They no longer sell it with the range extender. Fully electric only.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
A video cropped up on my YouTube recommended list that explains one of the problems with the mass market acceptance of EVs. Although it is US based, it does talk about Europe.

The video surmises that one of the main problems of mass EV usage is the charging issue. People won't buy EVs if they can't charge them quickly and conveniently everywhere. The public need EV manufacturers to install charging points alles uber die platz. However, the EV manufacturers won't install the charging points unless there are more people purchasing EVs. It is explained that it really is a chicken/egg issue:

A video cropped up on my YouTube recommended list that explains one of the problems with the mass market acceptance of EVs. Although it is US based, it does talk about Europe.

The video surmises that one of the main problems of mass EV usage is the charging issue. People won't buy EVs if they can't charge them quickly and conveniently everywhere. The public need EV manufacturers to install charging points alles uber die platz. However, the EV manufacturers won't install the charging points unless there are more people purchasing EVs. It is explained that it really is a chicken/egg issue:

That’s not the view of the UK electricity and industry.

All this talk of hydrogen powered vehicles interested me enough to dig out this video which I found extremely informative, albeit on hydrogen boilers:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s not the view of the UK electricity and industry.
mm pity they dont talk to a few of their recently retired employees, I know of several who were made redundant after long service, to be replaced be people on short term contracts
they supply network is quite old, and many under ground cables are getting on for 80 years old, lead sheathed oil filled paper insulated
with joints and more joints everywhere
and some of the nasty interfaces i have seen for car hook ups, as as bad as the shonky interlinks for micro generating systems