What would make you buy an electric car?

We have high pressure over the UK and Europe at this moment
which looks like this

View attachment 631369
and we know that high pressure means settled conditions giving a drop in
wind speed across the UK, which looks like this

View attachment 631372

And shows up as a large drop in wind turbine output
Which looks like this
So, today you can't charge your BEVs
Why can’t you charge your BEV? Over 40% of the generated power is coming from carbon neutral sources.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve seen someone use the parallel park function, and I bet the insurance companies are happy to see it used. Must save then a fortune.
Youtube.... not so much.

Are you confusing autonomous with driving assists?
Driver assists are the precursor to autonomous.

Connect, integrate, the driver assists to satnav, and it will be - near enough - "autonomous" ;) .

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
But I can drive a car down the narrow, unmarked roads of Cornwall on a dark winter's night,
it is going to be a good few years before you can do the same in your autonomous car
:)
Badgers / Farmers with balers / 10 tons of spuds / Deer/ loose stock / twats from town wandering about in the lanes are normal hazards around here, is there a bunch of boffins in California who are working on these hiccups I wonder?

Will never happen in the real world away from towns as I don't know why they are wasting their time and money.

anglo

LE
Badgers / Farmers with balers / 10 tons of spuds / Deer/ loose stock / twats from town wandering about in the lanes are normal hazards around here, is there a bunch of boffins in California who are working on these hiccups I wonder?

Will never happen in the real world away from towns as I don't know why they are wasting their time and money.
Indeed.

From recent experience, autonomous emergency braking is **** all use when an animal darts out from the side of the road. A wallaby / Discovery interface is messy and the autonomous braking never reacted.

Mind you, the human driver had no chance of reacting either.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Driver assists are the precursor to autonomous.

Connect, integrate, the driver assists to satnav, and it will be - near enough - "autonomous" ;) .
The problem is that the insurance co.s and the police need someone to take the blame and apportion cost/penalties to, tracking down a software dev. or someone who sneezed in the silicon fab. plant in China is going to be problematic, so they 'need' it to be the driver, autonomous cars are possible technologically right now, but the blame culture, especially in the US and increasingly in UK, means that any issues will come down to the person in control of the auto/manual switch. Even trains, which have so much automation compared to even ten years ago, need a driver, and their roll-out of auto braking etc. has been a lot longer in development.

My car has the Tesla Autopilot. Not full autonomous all conditions driving by any means. But pretty good. Small lanes in Cornwall would be easy. Big intersections in a city (in fact most city driving) not so much.
Prior to surrendering my driving licence members of the family thought a Tesla might be for me with its "auto pilot" and the ability to integrate the driveraids software that was used with the Skoda (Vag) software, like Groputyfrub mentioned small lanes , in our bit of rural Aberdeenshire.
The barriers to this were, getting a vehicle for a test drive, eventually borrowing a model S that appeared to be in kit form as poor build quality was quite apparent and concerns about back up. The Dealer / showroom/whatever they call themselves in Aberdeen were useless ,the mantra of order it online and send it back if you don't like it didn't inspire confidence,such a shame. Nevertheless I no longer drive on the public roads.

Last edited:

wheel

LE
Customer of ours has always been a petrol head and has had some very nice cars over the years. He now has a Tessla and was bragging how quick it was and that he would never go back to petrol.
We recently had to meet up in South Somerset his drive from North Yorkshire took over an hour longer than mine because he had to stop to recharge.
I went there and back and ran around for another week on a single tank of Diesel.
Take the piss me never ;) . I will be sticking with my oil burner,

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Prior to surrendering my driving licence members of the family thought a Tesla might be for me with its "auto pilot" and the ability to integrate the driveraids software that was used with the Skoda (Vag) software, like Groputyfrub mentioned small lanes in our bit of rural Aberdeenshire.
The barriers to this were, getting a vehicle for a test drive, eventually borrowing a model S that appeared to be in kit form as poor build quality was quite apparent and concerns about back up. The Dealer / showroom/whatever they call themselves in Aberdeen were useless ,the mantra of order it online and send it back if you don't like it didn't inspire confidence,such a shame. Nevertheless I no longer drive on the public roads.
Wiz you drivin' like a fiel?

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
Customer of ours has always been a petrol head and has had some very nice cars over the years. He now has a Tessla and was bragging how quick it was and that he would never go back to petrol.
We recently had to meet up in South Somerset his drive from North Yorkshire took over an hour longer than mine because he had to stop to recharge.
I went there and back and ran around for another week on a single tank of Diesel.
Take the piss me never ;) . I will be sticking with my oil burner,
It's also the case that most leccies are either shopping trolleys or sports types both with limited boot space, and the pickups in the pipeline are Arab Sheik amounts of money.

I need an estate that can tow 750KG unbraked, 4x4 as well as often dragging a boat up a wet slipway, or off piste at fishing lakes, Estate so I can bung a couple of bikes inside in one piece, and also to lug stuff around.

So I reckon I will be waiting a looong time before they get around to the non city / more rural user demographic with electric, and longer still before the second hand ones are available, so I am going to be ICE till I peg it I reckon.

wheel

LE
It's also the case that most leccies are either shopping trolleys or sports types both with limited boot space, and the pickups in the pipeline are Arab Sheik amounts of money.

I need an estate that can tow 750KG unbraked, 4x4 as well as often dragging a boat up a wet slipway, or off piste at fishing lakes, Estate so I can bung a couple of bikes inside in one piece, and also to lug stuff around.

So I reckon I will be waiting a looong time before they get around to the non city / more rural user demographic with electric, and longer still before the second hand ones are available, so I am going to be ICE till I peg it I reckon.
My company car is the Skoda Superb 20TDI exec. Boot is enormous but I really do need an estate. I am due to swap it this April but company policy at the moment is for electric/hybrid none of which suit my requirements.

My company car is the Skoda Superb 20TDI exec. Boot is enormous but I really do need an estate. I am due to swap it this April but company policy at the moment is for electric/hybrid none of which suit my requirements.
I wasn't paying that much attention, but only last night - or the night before - zapping between TV stations, I caught a bit of "Fifth Gear: Recharged", testing an electric/hybrid Skoda Superb estate, against a similar sized/powered BMW.

The Skoda was considered to be better than the BMW !! ;) .

That particular show doesn't seem to be on their web-site just yet . . .

wheel

LE
I wasn't paying that much attention, but only last night - or the night before - zapping between TV stations, I caught a bit of "Fifth Gear: Recharged", testing an electric/hybrid Skoda Superb estate, against a similar sized/powered BMW.

The Skoda was considered to be better than the BMW !! ;) .

That particular show doesn't seem to be on their web-site just yet . . .

The Skoda Superb Exec I have with all the bells and whistles was cheaper than base level BMW. it is a Superb car.