What would make you buy an electric car?

Can you give me a link that says the things below are going to be made mandatary
interested to read it
View attachment 631413
Sure -

1642184012528.png

The systems will be required on all new models given ‘type’ approval from May 2022, with all models on the market before that date required to adopt the tech by May 2024.

It is understood that manufacturers will fit all vehicles new vehicles with all of the above systems from May 2022, even if any laws are not yet fully ratified or outstanding.

Last edited:

anglo

LE
Sure -

View attachment 631418

The systems will be required on all new models given ‘type’ approval from May 2022, with all models on the market before that date required to adopt the tech by May 2024.

It is understood that manufacturers will fit all vehicles new vehicles with all of the above systems from May 2022, even if any laws are not yet fully ratified or outstanding.
Thanks

No, with respect so are you. You are only aware of what you think you see with your eyes, and your brain’s interpretation.

Vision, hearing, smell, touch and taste. Our sensors include the eyes, ears, nose, skin and tongue. Additional sensors include temperature sensors, body position sensors, balance sensors and blood acidity sensors. and the ability to think is what gives the human brain the upper hand over computers
Right. Our senses though are often fooled and are subjective. The way your brain interprets those inputs is also open to influence.

The thought process, the ability to perceive, and act with free will, probably won’t be able to be truly replicated by computer. But one thing a computer won’t do is overthink. In driving the computer won’t be scared or nervous either.

There will come a time when we don’t drive ourselves at all. For me that will be awful. I love driving and like @exbluejob i want full control over the car when I want it.

anglo

LE
Right. Our senses though are often fooled and are subjective. The way your brain interprets those inputs is also open to influence.

The thought process, the ability to perceive, and act with free will, probably won’t be able to be truly replicated by computer. But one thing a computer won’t do is overthink. In driving the computer won’t be scared or nervous either.

There will come a time when we don’t drive ourselves at all. For me that will be awful. I love driving and like @exbluejob i want full control over the car when I want it.
The car will have an electronic "human brain", because that is what's needed,
it will be self-aware and have the ability to learn, human except in name
have a read of this

So far - so good, I too love driving and I enjoy the best of both worlds. The car currently only assists me in anything I do. It see's road signs I often do not and it will slow me down, or even accelerate to a higher speed by default.

If a car in front of me brakes - the radar, camera and lasers detects the change in speed far sooner than my eyes ever can and slow me down accordingly - they'll even emergency brake for me and turn on my hazard lights and strobe my brake lights to warn cars behind me that my car has reducing it's speed rapidly.

If someone walks out on to the road in the dark and I don't see them - I know my car will detect them and do it's best to avoid hitting them - and under 30mph it has a 100% success rate (within limitations) - this is very important to me given I had a family member killed when they were just 13 who did just that - if the car could have stopped before the driver intervened - they may still be alive, who knows.

Similarly, if I do foresee a collision and take evasive action - the car will assist in steering the car into safety - taking action so I do not over-control the manoeuvre and lose full control of the vehicle or even worse hit an oncoming vehicle ort other obstacle.

These are all systems that are always watching, always sensing and always predicting - always.

They only enhance my driving experience, and hopefully prevent me or anyone else from getting killed or injured.

No, with respect so are you. You are only aware of what you think you see with your eyes, and your brain’s interpretation.

Sure you can anticipate and decision make quicker. But your thought process in a given situation may well be flawed. Especially when driving.

When driving on autopilot your car.

Won’t get angry
Won’t get drunk
Won’t get high
Won’t get distracted
Won’t have an opinion
Won’t get into an argument with a passenger
Won’t drive dangerously because it needs a pee.

And more.
No but you'll be well and truly screwed if it breaks down.

anglo

LE

Sure you can anticipate and decision make quicker. But your thought process in a given situation may well be flawed. Especially when driving.

When driving on autopilot your car.

Won’t get angry
Won’t get drunk
Won’t get high
Won’t get distracted
Won’t have an opinion
Won’t get into an argument with a passenger
Won’t drive dangerously because it needs a pee.

And more.
But I can drive a car down the narrow, unmarked roads of Cornwall on a dark winter's night,
it is going to be a good few years before you can do the same in your autonomous car
:)

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
The car will have an electronic "human brain", because that is what's needed,
it will be self-aware and have the ability to learn, human except in name
have a read of this

TL & DR but it all comes back to the safety case, how to prove that these things are good enough/safe in all situations?
Another elephant in the room is 'blame'. Who is at fault if one of these cars causes an 'incident'? The driver? The manufacturer? The software developers? One thing for certain is that the insurance companies will be keeping a very close eye on developments!

anglo

LE
TL & DR but it all comes back to the safety case, how to prove that these things are good enough/safe in all situations?
Another elephant in the room is 'blame'. Who is at fault if one of these cars causes an 'incident'? The driver? The manufacturer? The software developers? One thing for certain is that the insurance companies will be keeping a very close eye on developments!
What car insurance companies? People won't own cars any more, no need for insurance,
driverless taxis will be cheap, it will just be taxis fleet owners needing insurance,
There will be no money to made in car insurance

Imagine taxis with no drivers :)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sure I've mentioned it in this thread before, there is a drift towards lease / subscription based vehicle 'ownership', Volvo are rolling out a scheme to pay a monthly fee for an 'everyday' car, then upgrade it for holidays where you need a bigger car etc. this fee included everything except fuel, on the face of it, it's a marketing dream and for people used to personal lease or company cars, not that much of a leap. The thing is, there's no promise of getting the same 'core' car back if it goes in for service, you suspend the lease or up/down grade for an amount of time.
People can get attached to cars - and you never really get rid of the smell of child vomit....

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
What car insurance companies? People won't own cars any more, no need for insurance,
driverless taxis will be cheap, it will just be taxis fleet owners needing insurance,

An insuranceless world? As we say in Scotland yeah, right!

Don't think a taxi will want to transport me the 570 miles from near Portsmouth to Aberdeen in my current time of 9.5 hours :)

Every vehicle still needs insurance, plus public hire insurance and public indemnity insurance.

Don't feel sorry for the insurers, they'll muddle through somehow.

anglo

LE
Every vehicle still needs insurance, plus public hire insurance and public indemnity insurance.

Don't feel sorry for the insurers, they'll muddle through somehow.
What I mean is, it might be cheaper not to own a car, when autonomous cars {taxis}
are available in large numbers, agreed the taxis fleets would need insurance

Ultimately right now I think it would be the driver. They are the person who activated the device, and in theory should have intervened.

I’ve seen someone use the parallel park function, and I bet the insurance companies are happy to see it used. Must save then a fortune.

Latest Threads