What would make you buy an electric car?

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
They couldn’t do that without being aware of their surroundings

If that's the case, can they see potholes in the space they are backing into?
They are not aware of their surrounding, they are aware of what a set of sensors tell them,
and work within the parameters of those sensors
Can you see potholes in the space you are backing into. The road surface is obscured by the body of the car. If you are relying on the cameras then yes, the technology could see the potholes.

Can you measure precisely the distance from the car to objects when you are backing in. The car can.

If you have cocked up reversing into the space and didn’t judge it right, will you hit the other car or person. The car won’t do that it will stop.

When you are driving, reversing etc can you monitor every direction at the same time, and again measure exact distances to surroundings. A car with multiple cameras can.

Last edited:
We're going to have to agree to disagree. Automation only responds in the way its been programmed. Road users and pedestrians often do unpredictable things which is a challenge for programmers. This is part of the reason the safety case will be so difficult.
Difficult but not unattainable. It’s here now and will only get better.

You should try it.

We have high pressure over the UK and Europe at this moment
which looks like this

View attachment 631369
and we know that high pressure means settled conditions giving a drop in
wind speed across the UK, which looks like this

View attachment 631372

And shows up as a large drop in wind turbine output
Which looks like this

View attachment 631373

So, today you can't charge your BEVs
Wow so no EV charging today in the UK. Is there a power cut for the whole uk today then. Hmmmm how are the petrol pumps working.

Hendleys of Poole are taking orders for an electric Moke.

Around £30k.

Made in the UK at Northampton.

Petrol version is being phased out now but cost around £26K.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Difficult but not unattainable. It’s here now and will only get better.

You should try it.
It's here in limited form and as the manufacturers are finding out the safety case is getting exponentially more difficult, so they're dropping out.
I am a control freak and have no intention of allowing my vehicle to decide anything.

anglo

LE
Can you see potholes in the space you are backing into. The road surface is obscured by the body of the car. If you are relying on the cameras then yes, the technology could see the potholes.

Can you measure precisely the distance from the car to objects when you are backing in. The car can.

If you have cocked up reversing into the space and didn’t judge it right, will you hit the other car or person. The car won’t do that it will stop.

When you are driving, reversing etc can you monitor every direction at the same time, and again measure exact distances to surroundings. A car with multiple cameras can.
I agree with what you say, but I was answering "They are aware of their surroundings"

They are not aware of their surrounding, they are aware of what a set of sensors tell them,
Hope that clears it up

It's here in limited form and as the manufacturers are finding out the safety case is getting exponentially more difficult, so they're dropping out.
I am a control freak and have no intention of allowing my vehicle to decide anything.
As much as you don’t like it, it’s being developed and will only get better. Manufacturers aren’t all dropping out.

Things develop and new innovations come. That my friend is life.

Try one. You might like it.

Last edited:
I agree with what you say, but I was answering "They are aware of their surroundings"

Hope that clears it up
No, with respect so are you. You are only aware of what you think you see with your eyes, and your brain’s interpretation.

Sure you can anticipate and decision make quicker. But your thought process in a given situation may well be flawed. Especially when driving.

When driving on autopilot your car.

Won’t get angry
Won’t get drunk
Won’t get high
Won’t get distracted
Won’t have an opinion
Won’t get into an argument with a passenger
Won’t drive dangerously because it needs a pee.

And more.

anglo

LE
As much as you don’t like it, it’s being developed and will only get better. Manufacturers aren’t all dropping out.

Things develop and new innovations come. That my friend is life.
Things develop, and new innovations come,

indeed, it is the last 2% of development that will take a long time, to end up with a fully
autonomous car,

an Autonomous Car?

Definition

An autonomous car is a vehicle capable of sensing its environment and operating without human involvement. A human passenger is not required to take control of the vehicle at any time, nor is a human passenger required to be present in the vehicle at all. An autonomous car can go anywhere a traditional car goes and do everything that an experienced human driver does.

Things develop, and new innovations come,

indeed, it is the last 2% of development that will take a long time, to end up with a fully
autonomous car,

an Autonomous Car?

Definition

An autonomous car is a vehicle capable of sensing its environment and operating without human involvement. A human passenger is not required to take control of the vehicle at any time, nor is a human passenger required to be present in the vehicle at all. An autonomous car can go anywhere a traditional car goes and do everything that an experienced human driver does.
Definitely a way to go before it meets that definition, and Like most things will always be developing.

EV (or alternative fuels), autonomous driving, people going to Mars. They are all in process ti varying degrees

anglo

LE
Definitely a way to go before it meets that definition, and Like most things will always be developing.

EV (or alternative fuels), autonomous driving, people going to Mars. They are all in process ti varying degrees
Progress does not stop, it just takes time to reach the end goal, in the autonomous car
case, the replication of the human brain is needed, and to be fitted in the car

anglo

LE
No, with respect so are you. You are only aware of what you think you see with your eyes, and your brain’s interpretation.

Sure you can anticipate and decision make quicker. But your thought process in a given situation may well be flawed. Especially when driving.

When driving on autopilot your car.

Won’t get angry
Won’t get drunk
Won’t get high
Won’t get distracted
Won’t have an opinion
Won’t get into an argument with a passenger
Won’t drive dangerously because it needs a pee.

And more.

Vision, hearing, smell, touch and taste. Our sensors include the eyes, ears, nose, skin and tongue. Additional sensors include temperature sensors, body position sensors, balance sensors and blood acidity sensors. and the ability to think is what gives the human brain the upper hand over computers

Then you're in for a big disappointment if you ever buy a new vehicle again after this May this year...

1642182131900.png

These changes are not optional, they are mandatory, and in the case of the speed limiter - yes it can be over-ridden - but the overspeed alarm cannot be disabled - so it will be like driving off without your seat belt fitted - but it will NEVER stop until you drive at the speed specified by the road signs for that part of the road.

Your car will also brake when it decides it needs to - you will have no control over this function.

Manufacturers I understand will NOT be making versions exempt for the UK market.

good luck.

Attachments

• 1642182110210.png
    1642182110210.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 1

anglo

LE
Then you're in for a big disappointment if you ever buy a new vehicle again after this May this year...

View attachment 631409

These changes are not optional, they are mandatory, and in the case of the speed limiter - yes it can be over-ridden - but the overspeed alarm cannot be disabled - so it will be like driving off without your seat belt fitted - but it will NEVER stop until you drive at the speed specified by the road signs for that part of the road.

Your car will also brake when it decides it needs to - you will have no control over this function.

Manufacturers I understand will NOT be making versions exempt for the UK market.

good luck.
Can you give me a link that says the things below are going to be made mandatary
interested to read it
Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 18-00-38 What would make you buy an electric car .png