What would make you buy an electric car?

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Most of the time, an automated car can watch the road far better than any human.

The car is already aware of it's surroundings and exact proximity to other vehicles and obstacles and can manoeuvre more safely accordingly in the event of an emergency.
Most of the time. So when there is a collision that'll be alright.

I read an article last year how some Tesla owners had seen bits from Home Depot (American B&Q) used to hold their new car together / for various parts.

Build quality is apparently improving, but still not great. While I consider the Nissan Leaf I'm waiting to see if Honda bring out a mid-sized e-hatchback with a 250+ mile range. I've had 4 Hondas in my time and cannot fault their quality.
I like the look of the new Kia electric car but, like everything, it's beyond my price range and I'm not keep on a used EV.

The electric Mustang Extended Range version looks cool too.

Most of the time, an automated car can watch the road far better than any human.

The car is already aware of it's surroundings and exact proximity to other vehicles and obstacles and can manoeuvre more safely accordingly in the event of an emergency.
The second clip you posted did not look like that. The driving situation was fairly unthreatening, but still the driver was having to take over.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you ever tried it.
In my profession (I work with a lot of human factors experts) we have tried automation but its shown that its extremely difficult for humans to be sat back, fat, dumb and happy with thumb up backside and then suddenly have to take over, assess WTF is going on and make a plan, then execute it. Similar studies are the same for self driving vehicles.

Edited to add: My car (Merc A class ) has lane keeping assist, speed sign recognition, adaptive cruise control blah blah but I don't use it because I want/need to be in control of the car. I use normal cruise control just because it maintains the exact speed without me constantly keeping my foot on the throttle.

Last edited:

anglo

LE

Bullshit, the car can't anticipate the road ahead anywhere near what a human can

The car is already aware of it's surroundings and exact proximity to other vehicles

Bullshit, if that were true we would have self drive cars, self awareness is what the
IT people are trying to achieve, with great difficulty

Your car is less aware of it's surroundings than a person. It does however have better reactions and some more precise measurements.

However, and this is a very important thing to remember, it has no ability to think beyond specific inputs and responses. Your car cannot process the information a person can, and cannot respond to unexpected situations.

Surely there us a time and a place for this semi automated technology. I wouldn't use it on country lanes or rush hour motorways, but average speed camera zones definitely yes, and in a previous 70k miles a year existence, hammering a Vito up and down the country at antisocial o'clock I would have loved it.

We get the odd bit of snow to drive in and I have never used the cruise control in it, on any car I’ve had let alone the autopilot on the one now.

They will get there but it’s a while away yet.
Landrovers now have an All Terrain Progress Control selector which is effectively a slow speed cruise control for use in conditions of low grip. I’ve not tried it on snow yet, but it’s very effective on mud.

In my profession (I work with a lot of human factors experts) we have tried automation but its shown that its extremely difficult for humans to be sat back, fat, dumb and happy with thumb up backside and then suddenly have to take over, assess WTF is going on and make a plan, then execute it. Similar studies are the same for self driving vehicles.

Edited to add: My car (Merc A class ) has lane keeping assist, speed sign recognition, adaptive cruise control blah blah but I don't use it because I want/need to be in control of the car. I use normal cruise control just because it maintains the exact speed without me constantly keeping my foot on the throttle.
If you get an opportunity you may be interested to give it a go. The reality is a whole lot better than your perception.

If you are a person who needs to be in control, then don’t switch it on.

Bullshit, the car can't anticipate the road ahead anywhere near what a human can

The car is already aware of it's surroundings and exact proximity to other vehicles

Bullshit, if that were true we would have self drive cars, self awareness is what the
You are right it can’t anticipate. What it can do though is react to the unexpected a whole lot quicker than a human.

Certainly not 100% but degrees of self driving is there now. How many modern cars can parallel park unassisted. They couldn’t do that without being aware of their surroundings and the exact proximity of other vehicles.

anglo

LE
You are right it can’t anticipate. What it can do though is react to the unexpected a whole lot quicker than a human.

Certainly not 100% but degrees of self driving is there now. How many modern cars can parallel park unassisted. They couldn’t do that without being aware of their surroundings and the exact proximity of other vehicles.
They couldn’t do that without being aware of their surroundings

If that's the case, can they see potholes in the space they are backing into?
They are not aware of their surrounding, they are aware of what a set of sensors tell them,
and work within the parameters of those sensors

Sorry, but I think you are wrong and I do find myself having to agree with RGJ on this. Did you miss the bit up thread where he admitted to being an Audi driver, when was the last time you saw one of them things being driven by someone who seemed aware of anyone but themselves being on the road.

Any technology that takes the Audi driver out of the equation as much as possible and makes the vehicle more liable to drive in compliance with the law and acknowledge that other cars ore on "their" road can only be a good thing....I bet it still doesn't make the indicators function though.

Last edited:
Except that only works if all road users and pedestrians are automated.
No, not at all, a well automated car will arguably avoid any object / hazard far better than any human as it's response times are far virtually instant, be they inanimate, or human.

Emergency braking when the car infront slows or stops rapidly is just one example where the car using it's radar and camera will react long before a human will detect any potential hazard infront.

Accidents will always happen, just less likely when any part of the process is well automated.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
No, not at all, a well automated car will arguably avoid any object / hazard far better than any human as it's response times are far virtually instant, be they inanimate, or human.

Emergency braking when the car infront slows or stops rapidly is just one example where the car using it's radar and camera will react long before a human will detect any potential hazard infront.

Accidents will always happen, just less likely when any part of the process is well automated.
We're going to have to agree to disagree. Automation only responds in the way its been programmed. Road users and pedestrians often do unpredictable things which is a challenge for programmers. This is part of the reason the safety case will be so difficult.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Automation only responds in the way its been programmed. Road users and pedestrians often do unpredictable things which is a challenge for programmers. This is part of the reason the safety case will be so difficult.

Agreed - it is indeed challenging but from what I have seen, and experienced, the car always get's it right and more often than not - before a potential incident is detected by the driver.

This is an old video now, but it explains the technology well.

It can now prevent ALL collisions upto 30mph I believe, and mitigates damage beyond this.

A more detailed and updated explanation here -

Other car manufacturers all have similar technology now.

These automated systems are brilliant, literally life-savers.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed - it is indeed challenging but from what I have seen, and experienced, the car always get's it right and more often than not - before a potential incident is detected by the driver.

This is an old video now, but it explains the technology well.

It can now prevent ALL collisions upto 30mph I believe, and mitigates damage beyond this.

A more detailed and updated explanation here -

Other car manufacturers all have similar technology now.

These automated systems are brilliant, literally life-savers.
Uuuummmm so you have a very Rose tinted view of the automation. You appear to ignore all the instances where the automation fails to detect an issue. Already several deaths due to that and that's with limited numbers of these cars on the road. Not quite what I'd term "literally life savers".

Uuuummmm so you have a very Rose tinted view of the automation. You appear to ignore all the instances where the automation fails to detect an issue. Already several deaths due to that and that's with limited numbers of these cars on the road. Not quite what I'd term "literally life savers".

'Several deaths' - out of tens of millions of automated cars already on the roads?

I just hope the next time I wander out onto a road when I'm p!ssed that it's an automated car that I meet first, and not a drunk driver.

anglo

LE
We have high pressure over the UK and Europe at this moment
which looks like this

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 14-16-48 Surface Pressure Charts.png

and we know that high pressure means settled conditions giving a drop in
wind speed across the UK, which looks like this

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 14-19-03 Asset map The Crown Estate.png

And shows up as a large drop in wind turbine output
Which looks like this

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 14-16-12 G B National Grid status.png

So, today you can't charge your BEVs