What would make you buy an electric car?

So basically, to replace the battery, disassemble the back end of your car.

Genius.
The vast majority of Prius go through their entire service life without ever needing a battery swap.

There are Camry taxis with the same hybrid drive train running around with over 500000 miles on the clock with their original battery.

So does it matter?

Interesting to note that they are looking to fuel types other than petrol. No mention of electric.
I really hope they manage to get something else working as electric bike racing is a massive turn off.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting to note that they are looking to fuel types other than petrol. No mention of electric.
I really hope they manage to get something else working as electric bike racing is a massive turn off.

I would guess that the weight of the batteries would be a huge disadvantage.

I would guess that the weight of the batteries would be a huge disadvantage.

There is an electric class at the moment. Not bad to watch, but the noise is bloody awful.

The real downside though is due to the weight, when those things crash, they just don’t stop. Straight into the barriers, causing a lot of damage.

So, this week I've tried to charge up twice at rapid or fast chargers and every time I went to the public chargers in the evening they were all being used by line ups of Teslas - I even went to ASDA to use one of the slow 7 kW chargers and , you guessed it!, more teslas!

Its now getting beyond a joke around here with company car drivers with humungous batteries all doing high mileage and needing daily or more frequent (and lengthy) re-charging or taxis and vans.

I am now resorting to going late on Fri nights and/or choosing to go to the chargers in extreme bad weather which seems to keep Tesla drivers home! Apparently, there are no Tesla superchargers within 15 miles north or south of where I live just north of Glasgow which is causing them to take over the public charger network.

Ultimately EVs are not the solution! - the infrastructure from mining lithium, electrical generation, through to distribution and end user connectivity is all far too complicated and costly to resolve. Even home chargers cause massive difficulties to our electrical suppliers - we use single phase 230V and our house wiring and supply from the grid is primarily designed to meet that need - things like cable thickness and 'load balancing' are but just 2 of the major issues that are being put under increasing strain.

I've stated in previous posts that I m now actively seeking to change my EV for a Petrol or Diesel because the situation is only going to get worse and even with the most optimistic look ahead possible, it will take many years to increase charging infrastructure and connectivity

I haven’t read the entire thread, so sorry for any repetition.

It seems there’s three main problems at the moment.

1. Lack of range. This won’t be a problem for everybody, and no doubt battery technology will improve. But still a problem.

2. Provision of charging points for people who only have roadside parking.

3. Time taken to recharge.

If battery dimensions and attachments were standardized then robots at service stations could replace a battery in about the length of time it currently (sorry!) takes to fill a tank with liquid fuel.
You are running low on battery charge, pull in, drive over a bay similar to a drive through car wash, robot changes your “empty” battery for a fully charged one. Credit is given for the level of charge remaining in the removed battery, pay the man, and it’s hey ho for John O’ Groats.

Spot on, but going around giving good ideas just makes the government look even more stupid and out of touch with reality.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
[/QUOTE]
A few things spring to mind while taking afternoon tea on site
How many government ministers, their families and business associates are involved in this master plan
The usual idea being to get involved at the beginning where the profits and control are greater
Second thing, when many of our streets and houses were electrified or first built the sums carried out then for diversity ie amount of juice pushed down the wires was probably in the order of 20 percent
You don't need to rate cables at their full capacity if it's rarely needed and the network can cope with sudden loads
However copper work hardens, allied with large cars moving across footpaths, and ground movement from ever larger cars and trucks means that many of the old paper insulated oil filled tar wrapped cables are breaking up
Bunging in car chargers that will cause some funny loadings on the network when the cables would normally cool down will cause even more failures and surges
In my area we have some mad scheme to fire fibre optic cables to every house
Cue lots of digging and backfilling
And surprisingly the DNO boys are out jointing cables all over the place
In the town, many of the supply cables run under gardens and footpaths and some run along the sides of buildings, many of which have been extended, restricting access for inspection
While I favour electric cars, I think the cock wavers and investment merchants should take a back seat while the whole thing is properly planned by people who know what they are doing and have no interest financially

anglo

LE
The grid blokes are pushing their luck today, just as well the wind turbines are having a good day,
even the old coal burning plants are making a little money,
Mind you, they are giving a GW to France, France as fired up all their nuclear and gas,
Interesting times

L.Click to enlarge

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 18-17-54 French National Grid status.png
Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 18-16-19 G B National Grid status.png

Tyk

LE
The vast majority of Prius go through their entire service life without ever needing a battery swap.

There are Camry taxis with the same hybrid drive train running around with over 500000 miles on the clock with their original battery.

So does it matter?

To be fair though if the battery on a Prius goes a bit meh the standard engine just does the work and a significant number of owners either wouldn't notice or wouldn't want to spend on the battery repairs. I know a couple of Prius owners present and former and they've all said the fuel economy is inferior or badly inferior to a similar sized engine non hybrid, probably as they're humping the battery and ancillaries weight about.
Prius was always a marketing fiddle, just one by Toyota whose reputation for mechanical reliability seems well earned.

I'm about to order an EV as a commuter for the Mrs. I'm going to take the precaution of fitting a dedicated spur to my driveway.

Probably a sensible move, just make sure it's on a supply and cable man enough for the task. Having looked into it and my youngest (a time served sparky) who's installed some, the feed cable needs to be a bit chunkier than you'd think to cut losses, especially if the cable run is any length.

The grid blokes are pushing their luck today, just as well the wind turbines are having a good day,
even the old coal burning plants are making a little money,
Mind you, they are giving a GW to France, France as fired up all their nuclear and gas,
Interesting times

L.Click to enlarge

View attachment 618144View attachment 618145
What a surprise. Demand is just in the amber sector, about 10GW above the capability of the Capacity Market. So the grid is buying from the Demand market and the wind turbines are switched on.

You really are a ******* buffoon.

We've just started the switch to hybrid patrol cars, I was in our hybrid Volvo when it changed to electric running driving on a supermarket carpark. Some old dear didn't hear me coming up behind her, she almost wet herself when she came face to face with a hi-vis wall! XD
IMG_20211112_225437_edit_1074117787467351.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
We've just started the switch to hybrid patrol cars, I was in our hybrid Volvo when it changed to electric running driving on a supermarket carpark. Some old dear didn't hear me coming up behind her, she almost wet herself when she came face to face with a hi-vis wall! XD
View attachment 618183
Our ARVs are using those, some of them unmarked, of course the local paper printed a picture of an incident with all the reg nos in view !!!!
if you see the reporters you would not be surprised

They absolutely shift off the hard shoulder, we have to be careful we don't exceed the speed limit as they're tracked.

anglo

LE
What a surprise. Demand is just in the amber sector, about 10GW above the capability of the Capacity Market. So the grid is buying from the Demand market and the wind turbines are switched on.

You really are a ******* buffoon.

"Demand is just in the amber sector, about 10GW above the capability of the Capacity Market"

Wrong

Demand
This is the total demand of the entire country, {but not plus exports}
less any unmetered wind but including an estimate for solar,

The amber warning represents the demand level that cannot be reliably met by wood,
or fossil fuel burning, and nuclear generation, but must be augmented by imports or
unreliable intermittent "renewable" energy

"So the grid is buying from the Demand market and the wind turbines are switched on".

More bullshit

There are 10,000 wind turbines, you think they switch them on and off willy-nilly,
Wind turbine output is always used if available as it's cheap

It’s cheaper to generate electricity from new wind and solar than existing gas plants
Generating electricity from existing UK fossil gas power plants is three times more expensive than from new onshore wind and almost twice that from new solar. Even the levelled cost of electricity (LCOE) from new offshore wind is cheaper than generating electricity from fossil gas.

To be fair though if the battery on a Prius goes a bit meh the standard engine just does the work and a significant number of owners either wouldn't notice or wouldn't want to spend on the battery repairs. I know a couple of Prius owners present and former and they've all said the fuel economy is inferior or badly inferior to a similar sized engine non hybrid, probably as they're humping the battery and ancillaries weight about.
Prius was always a marketing fiddle, just one by Toyota whose reputation for mechanical reliability seems well earned.
They are utter shite. Worst car I've ever driven.

We had one as a Duty Officer's car when I was at 16X - I had to do a daily commute to Lydd/Hythe for a week in it. Slow, fuel economy was cr*p (even when driven incredibly gently), limited boot space - just a horrible experience.

After 2 days I just went on my motorbike instead.

"Demand is just in the amber sector, about 10GW above the capability of the Capacity Market"

Wrong

Demand
This is the total demand of the entire country, {but not plus exports}
less any unmetered wind but including an estimate for solar,

The amber warning represents the demand level that cannot be reliably met by wood,
or fossil fuel burning, and nuclear generation, but must be augmented by imports or
unreliable intermittent "renewable" energy

"So the grid is buying from the Demand market and the wind turbines are switched on".

More bullshit

There are 10,000 wind turbines, you think they switch them on and off willy-nilly,
Wind turbine output is always used if available as it's cheap

It’s cheaper to generate electricity from new wind and solar than existing gas plants
Generating electricity from existing UK fossil gas power plants is three times more expensive than from new onshore wind and almost twice that from new solar. Even the levelled cost of electricity (LCOE) from new offshore wind is cheaper than generating electricity from fossil gas.
The last paragraph is true. The rest is bollocks. The price of wind power is determined by contracts for difference which are effectively subsided by levies on power supplies. Wind therefore is not allowed to compete with those other sources for long term contracts.

Once again; base load generation is contracted via the Capacity Market. Wind is contracted via the Demand Market.

It’s all in the 2013 Energy Act.

Currently, the battery-swappers are only compatible with the Nio ES8 electric car. Owners simply drive their vehicle into the battery-swapper and a series of automated rams and motors raise the car, unbolt and remove the flat battery, then replace it with a fully-charged one.

Good idea, if all the manufactures use the same battery fitting
We've been through this before on this and other threads.

To have interchangeable parts between manufacturers is possible, but introduces complexities for manufacturers' warranties. Will the warranty still be valid if someone else's battery gets installed? If there's a fault, who pays for the repair: is it the supplier of the replacement battery, the installer, or the car manufacturer who's vehicle may (or may not) have been built correctly in the first place?

Installing a third-party battery may well invalidate the car warranty completely. As usual, it will be the owner of the vehicle who pays in the end though higher motoring costs.

Heaven alone knows what will happen if there's a crash and the insurance companies demand an inventory of the build standards of the vehicles involved. Just like today, where a claim can be invalidated because of undeclared modifications.
"Fitted a non-OEM battery? How did that happen, sir? You do know there's a disclaimer about that in your vehicles' warranty which we told you invalidates the insurance? Oh, you weren't, well we did say that was an exclusion at the time we made the quote; and it is also stated clearly in the small print, which you should have read and understood before you agreed to take the insurance cover offered..."

Latest Threads