What would make you buy an electric car?

Any road, back to the thread. There is nothing, considering my location and all things sensible, that would encourage me to buy any form of electr

Not even queues to buy petrol?

If I hadn't heard about the queues on the news I would have been unaware of them. An artificial shortage created to put pressure on the government, aided by the normal sheep like reactions of the toilet paper hoarders.

anglo

LE
Your entire case is blown out of the water by the fact that over the last few weeks the UK grid has routinely been paying wind operators to NOT generate. Conveniently, you are ignoring that. Not once in your references, does it say that there was NO wind power.

As for Denmark and Germany, they have an entirely different energy market and mix of generation. Germany has no nuclear, Denmark has a lot of CHP. Both rely almost entirely on gas for their base load generating. And, from a wind perspective, they both have predominantly onshore wind.

Neither directly face the Atlantic and it’s train of low pressure systems; the North Sea has quite different prevailing weather in summer and autumn to the Atlantic due to enduring summer highs over Germany and Central Europe.

Mr Nipper makes it clear that wind conditions in the North Sea have been lower than the previous 22 years. He doesn’t ******* mention the Atlantic. You should read and understand the articles you quote.
Your entire case is blown out of the water by the fact that over the last few weeks the UK grid has routinely been paying wind operators to NOT generate. Conveniently, you are ignoring that.

Nothing to do with the wind speeds around the UK

Not once in your references, does it say that there was NO wind power.

Never said there's no wind power, I said No wind to drive the wind turbines

As for Denmark and Germany, they have an entirely different energy market and mix of generation. Germany has no nuclear, Denmark has a lot of CHP. Both rely almost entirely on gas for their base load generating. And, from a wind perspective, they both have predominantly onshore wind.

Just waffle to pad your post out, FA to with the UK wind turbines

Neither directly face the Atlantic and it’s train of low pressure systems; the North Sea has quite different prevailing weather in summer and autumn to the Atlantic due to enduring summer highs over Germany and Central Europe.
Give me a link to your source for that statement

Mr Nipper makes it clear that wind conditions in the North Sea have been lower than the previous 22 years. He doesn’t ******* mention the Atlantic.

He doesn't have to mention the Atlantic, as the offshore wind turbines for the UK and Denmark are in the North Sea, notice, he does mention the low wind conditions, that's the low wind conditions that I'm talking about, the conditions that you deny

Answer this
Are you saying that there have been no low wind conditions in the UK over the past few
weeks, with much lower wind turbine output being fed into the grid,
a simple yes or no will do

Remember,
It’s all over the news at the moment about how energy prices are rising linked to increased worldwide demand on gas reserves. Part of the reason for the increased demand for gas in Europe is less output from wind turbines recently, due to a lack of wind. Calm conditions has meant wind power over the last few weeks has only made up about 7% of the U.K.'s electricity generation. This is compared to 18% for the whole of the months of August and May and 26% in February. This has meant more electricity has to be generated using gas-fired power stations to fill the gap and, also to a lesser extent, from coal-fired power stations too.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 09-20-18 Asset map The Crown Estate.png

Last edited:
Your entire case is blown out of the water by the fact that over the last few weeks the UK grid has routinely been paying wind operators to NOT generate. Conveniently, you are ignoring that.

Nothing to do with the wind speeds around the UK

Not once in your references, does it say that there was NO wind power.

Never said there's no wind power, I said No wind to drive the wind turbines

Just waffle to pad your post out, FA to with the UK wind turbines

Give me a link to your source for that statement

Mr Nipper makes it clear that wind conditions in the North Sea have been lower than the previous 22 years. He doesn’t ******* mention the Atlantic.

He doesn't have to mention the Atlantic, as the offshore wind turbines for the UK and Denmark are in the North Sea,

Answer this
Are you saying that there have been no low wind conditions in the UK over the past few
weeks, with much lower wind turbine output being fed into the grid,
a simple yes or no will do

View attachment 606650
No I’m not.

Your case is that the turbines have not been generating ANY power. Not that there are low wind conditions in some areas of the UK.

Your chart clearly shows plenty of wind in parts of the UK.

anglo

LE
No I’m not.

Your case is that the turbines have not been generating ANY power. Not that there are low wind conditions in some areas of the UK.

That's to show you where the offshore wind turbines are, as you don't seem to know

No I’m not.

So, you agree with me, Thank you, end of debate
You have been added to the stupid list, and have been put on ignore,
goodbye, Have a nice day

It's jet engines at 30,000 feet that are causing climate change, they exhaust tons and tons of carbon and co2 into the upper atmosphere where the jet steam and other atmospheric conditions swirl it around and around making a perfect barrier to heat leaving the planet. All the electric cars and other land bound counter measures are doing nothing in comparison to the damage jet travel is doing. Your car exhaust pipe is 6 inches off the ground, we've had smoking chimneys for centuries and climate change has only become apparent during the jet age. The stupidity of activists like Emma Thomson who flew from the USA to London to take part in a climate change protest throws it all down the toilet as far as I'm concerned. We should be travelling by sea, the only flights should be Military and the rich and powerful who can afford to pay the £10.000 tax bill on top of their £15.000 plane ticket. That is how we will save the planet. So keep your petrol and Diesel cars.

It's jet engines at 30,000 feet that are causing climate change, they exhaust tons and tons of carbon and co2 into the upper atmosphere where the jet steam and other atmospheric conditions swirl it around and around making a perfect barrier to heat leaving the planet. All the electric cars and other land bound counter measures are doing nothing in comparison to the damage jet travel is doing. Your car exhaust pipe is 6 inches off the ground, we've had smoking chimneys for centuries and climate change has only become apparent during the jet age. The stupidity of activists like Emma Thomson who flew from the USA to London to take part in a climate change protest throws it all down the toilet as far as I'm concerned. We should be travelling by sea, the only flights should be Military and the rich and powerful who can afford to pay the £10.000 tax bill on top of their £15.000 plane ticket. That is how we will save the planet. So keep your petrol and Diesel cars.
Wow! I thought all the contrail conspiracy theorists had curled up and died. Well done you for cuddling this steaming great pile of poo.

That's to show you where the offshore wind turbines are, as you don't seem to know

No I’m not.

So, you agree with me, Thank you, end of debate
You have been added to the stupid list, and have been put on ignore,
goodbye, Have a nice day
So there are no turbines on the west coast of Scotland or in Northern Ireland?

You utter ******* baffoon. Try this.

Wow! I thought all the contrail conspiracy theorists had curled up and died. Well done you for cuddling this steaming great pile of poo.
curled up and died as it's an inconvenient truth, the damage gets done at height, in the atmosphere, not down here in the grass.

a return flight from San Francisco to London emits 5.5 tonne of CO2, that's per person,twice the yearly emissions of a family car.

Last edited:
... as an aside, we were in Cornwall two weeks ago. It seemed the majority (actually all) the wind turbines we saw had their blades feathered and stopped. The two bladed turbines had their blades feathered and parked at the horizontal. All of them all week. It was noticeable, even Wifey commented. And it was as windy as any other day that we've been down there.

Last edited:
First time on a longish trip for a while so I did a top up to allow for eventualities going back. This is at the start. I didn’t photo after but the top up cost $15.24 Cdn

59E9207C-ED06-4A65-AEBF-2480824AB4B0.jpeg

The solution is obvious.

anglo

LE
I was talking to a man with a Mazda hybrid, it as a 1800 engine as well as the electric gubbins,
round town, he gets 70 MPG, but when he goes on motorways, and speeds up70MPH, it drops to around 40 MPG. He's happy with it

How much per mile did the trip cost you,
So google maps says 235 km (I didn’t set the trip) at $15.24 Cdn. My calculator says that is 146.22 miles at 8.81 of your heathen pounds. So I reckon about 6p per mile. That was back up to a full range of 630 km.

I started with a stated range of 630km and used approx 267km of the stated range to go 235 km. The rest is down to my right foot and not letting it drive much.

That’s at a small town Supercharger so a mid journey cost.

Last edited:
So google maps says 235 km (I didn’t set the trip) at $15.24 Cdn. My calculator says that is 146.22 miles at 8.81 of your heathen pounds. So I reckon about 6p per mile.

I started with a stated range of 630km and used approx 267km of the stated range to go 235 km. The rest is down to my right foot and not letting it drive much
We’ve recently upgraded our Discovery Sport to a new D200 with mild hybrid. It’s doing about 6l/ 100 km which is about 7p per mile on diesel in GBP. But that’s at Australian fuel prices, which are about half UK prices.

A BEV would be ideal for us; we’d rarely charge away from home, most of it would be off peak and any daylight charging at home would be by solar power. But there are no suitable BEVs sold here. We don’t need a true 4x4, but we do need the level of off road capability that the Discovery Sport offers as my OH visits a lot of farms paddocks for work (she’s a vet). So far, there are no pure BEVs that fit the bill.

We’d have gone for the PHEV Discovery if there was much chance of getting one here before 2023. As it is, we’ll run the news one for a few years and swap for a pure BEV when they are introduced and get here. I reckon it will be our last internal combustion engined car.

We’ve recently upgraded our Discovery Sport to a new D200 with mild hybrid. It’s doing about 6l/ 100 km which is about 7p per mile on diesel in GBP. But that’s at Australian fuel prices, which are about half UK prices.

A BEV would be ideal for us; we’d rarely charge away from home, most of it would be off peak and any daylight charging at home would be by solar power. But there are no suitable BEVs sold here. We don’t need a true 4x4, but we do need the level of off road capability that the Discovery Sport offers as my OH visits a lot of farms paddocks for work (she’s a vet). So far, there are no pure BEVs that fit the bill.

We’d have gone for the PHEV Discovery if there was much chance of getting one here before 2023. As it is, we’ll run the news one for a few years and swap for a pure BEV when they are introduced and get here. I reckon it will be our last internal combustion engined car.
I think Tesla are still supporting the supercharger costs and of course it’s part of their schtick that only Tesla’s can use them. Once true fast charging becomes common I’m sure the price will go up. In my photo it shows charging at 637 Km per hour but that drops as it gets going and especially if more charge points are used. If you can do it (I get it some can’t) charging at home is definitely the way to go.

Latest Threads