What would make you buy an electric car?

I'm currently in Dubai on business, used to work here until I moved back to the UK 5 years ago. Anyhoo just chatting to folks and I was reminded about car battery life out here. Average battery lasts roughly 2 years, no warning, like slow to turn over the engine etc. it is OK one day, dead the next. I've not seen any press about EVs out here but they're likely to suffer exactly the same fate I'd have thought. Have seen several parking slots for EVs but they don't have a charging point, not a one. Still get fined 300 Dhm if you park in one and you don't drive an EV!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
No, your position has consistently been that there are numerous days on which there is NO wind power because there is NO wind. Mine has consistently been that on those days, demand has been low and satisfied by the Capacity market. I’ve pointed you to a number of policy documents that explain how the market works.

You are now using a completely different scenario to justify you fuckwittage. The upshot of high gas prices and low supply is that suppliers cannot meet their obligations to the Capacity and Balancing Markets.

Wind is still generating.
Fuckwattage, surely?

anglo

LE
No, your position has consistently been that there are numerous days on which there is NO wind power because there is NO wind. Mine has consistently been that on those days, demand has been low and satisfied by the Capacity market. I’ve pointed you to a number of policy documents that explain how the market works.

You are now using a completely different scenario to justify you fuckwittage. The upshot of high gas prices and low supply is that suppliers cannot meet their obligations to the Capacity and Balancing Markets.

Wind is still generating.
You stupid twat

You stupid twat
Is that the best you’ve got?

It’s the Capacity Market that is fucked because it can’t buy gas (or, more accurately, buy it at a price where it can make a profit). Wind isn’t intended to step in to when the Capacity Market fails. Why should you be surprised when it can’t?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm currently in Dubai on business, used to work here until I moved back to the UK 5 years ago. Anyhoo just chatting to folks and I was reminded about car battery life out here. Average battery lasts roughly 2 years, no warning, like slow to turn over the engine etc. it is OK one day, dead the next. I've not seen any press about EVs out here but they're likely to suffer exactly the same fate I'd have thought. Have seen several parking slots for EVs but they don't have a charging point, not a one. Still get fined 300 Dhm if you park in one and you don't drive an EV!
The heat is shortening the batteries life
Extremes of temperature and vibration are not good for batteries

anglo

LE
Is that the best you’ve got?

It’s the Capacity Market that is fucked because it can’t buy gas (or, more accurately, buy it at a price where it can make a profit). Wind isn’t intended to step in to when the Capacity Market fails. Why should you be surprised when it can’t?
Wind isn’t intended to step in to when the Capacity Market fails

Stop making things up I've not said, or implied that

What the **** are you on about, We are on about lack of wind to drive the wind turbine,
as is the case now,
There is no wind to drive the wind turbines, it's got **** all to do with the price of gas
which part of "there is no wind to drive the wind turbines" don't you understand

Last edited:
Wind isn’t intended to step in to when the Capacity Market fails

Stop making things up I've not said, or implied that

What the **** are you on about, We are on about lack of wind to drive the wind turbine,
as is the case now,
There is no wind to drive the wind turbines, it's got **** all to do with the price of gas
which part of "there is no wind to drive the wind turbines" don't you understand
The intermittency of wind power is planned in to the grid. The squeeze on gas supplloss of French inter-connector supply due to fire are not.

It’s everything to do with under supply in the Capacity market.

anglo

LE
The intermittency of wind power is planned in to the grid. The squeeze on gas supplloss of French inter-connector supply due to fire are not.

Which part of this don't you understand

The UK is suffering the most from the drop in wind power output, caused by mild weather. The country, which prides itself on its wind capacity and whose Prime Minister last year said wind farms could power every home by 2030, produced less than 1 GW of wind power on several days. This compares with a generation capacity of 24 GW, according to ICIS senior energy economist Stefan Konstantinov.

It's got **** all to do with will any kind of market, it's due to **** all wind to drive the turbines

"The intermittency of wind power is planned in to the grid."

And that intermittency is due to no wind to drive the wind turbines,{right}
and FA to do with markets
Thank you, I rest My case

Last edited:

Chef

LE

That does rather imply that long range weather forecasts are something the wind farms have sole access to. I'd suggest that five to thirty days is not really long enough for strategic energy planning. Particularly when it is more of a general impression rather than an accurate forecast.

A ton of coal, an ounce of uranium or a million gallons of water will produce the same amount of energy in their respective power plant in a year's time as they do today.

The wind farms cannot predict what their output will be in six months, whether it will be famine or feast.

I'd have thought reliability is paramount in planning.

Should have posted 20 minutes ago, curse you Arrse updating.

Which part of this don't you understand

The UK is suffering the most from the drop in wind power output, caused by mild weather. The country, which prides itself on its wind capacity and whose Prime Minister last year said wind farms could power every home by 2030, produced less than 1 GW of wind power on several days. This compares with a generation capacity of 24 GW, according to ICIS senior energy economist Stefan Konstantinov.

It's got **** all to do with will any kind of market, it's due to **** all wind to drive the turbines

"The intermittency of wind power is planned in to the grid."

And that intermittency is due to no wind to drive the wind turbines,{right}
and FA to do with markets
Thank you, I rest My case
Completely ignoring the fact that wind provides ~25% of the UK power supply and that 25% is entirely supplied to the Demand market. Or that gas supplies are being squeezed and that the French inter-connector is damaged by fire.

Completely ignoring the fact that wind provides ~25% of the UK power supply and that 25% is entirely supplied to the Demand market. Or that gas supplies are being squeezed and that the French inter-connector is damaged by fire.
I reckon the amount of flailing you and @Bravo_Bravo do would generate a good deal of power.

anglo

LE
Completely ignoring the fact that wind provides ~25% of the UK power supply and that 25% is entirely supplied to the Demand market.

FA to do with wind

Or that gas supplies are being squeezed and that the French inter-connector is damaged by fi

Still FA to do with wind
I see you are trying the, "Oh look a squirrel technique"

We are debating why the turbines, at times, have next to FA power output

No matter what you say, at times, there is still no wind to drive the wind turbines

Completely ignoring the fact that wind provides ~25% of the UK power supply and that 25% is entirely supplied to the Demand market.

FA to do with wind

Or that gas supplies are being squeezed and that the French inter-connector is damaged by fi

Still FA to do with wind

No matter what you say, at times, there is still no wind to drive the wind turbines
He tried it with me ages ago, I see you have more patience than I.

FA to do with wind

Still FA to do with wind

When you say at times there is no wind to drive the turbines. Do this mean for whole days or odd moments.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Heres a ting that me thought about today

The driving test

are they going to change the driving test to encompass electric cars ? perhaps have an EV only licence, in the same way some people only have an autobox licence ?

as they are quite different to drive , I am sure new skills will be needed
???

as they are quite different to drive , I am sure new skills will be needed?
Having driven a few different types of EL car, the only major difference I can see, A. quieter B. No gearstick.
C. Plug it in too the wall at night. D. Slight change in planning longer journey's.

Not quite sure where you are going too need new skills? Would you care too explain your experience with this?
p.s No villainous intent, just curious too know where you are coming from.
pps I do not own an EL bil........yet!
SK

anglo

LE
When you say at times there is no wind to drive the turbines. Do this mean for whole days or odd moments.
Below is the weekly output graph for the UK wind turbines, taken just now, showing the
last week of wind turbine output
Note the time the output is close to zero, IE, Wednesday and Thursday,

Note that I say there is no wind to drive the turbines, not that there is no wind
There is a cut in wind speed, below this wind speed and the turbine will not produce electricity
Edit, there are 10,000 with a capacity of 24Gw producing very little output,

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 17-51-06 G B National Grid status.png

Last edited:

Chef

LE
Having driven a few different types of EL car, the only major difference I can see, A. quieter B. No gearstick.
C. Plug it in too the wall at night. D. Slight change in planning longer journey's.

Not quite sure where you are going too need new skills? Would you care too explain your experience with this?
p.s No villainous intent, just curious too know where you are coming from.
pps I do not own an EL bil........yet!
SK
I'd have thought stepping out of your e-vehicle and driving a car with a manual gearbox would be interesting to say the least.

Latest Threads