What would make you buy an electric car?

When I read this article this morning I thought that's impressive and maybe we're getting to a point of overcoming the range anxiety question. Mustang Mach-E driven from John O'Groats to Lands End and 'beaks the record'...

I assumed that 'record' was the range, but no, as the car was charged at public service stations along the route... and was accompanied by a team of AA engineers along the route (in their diesel recovery trucks presumably) and Ford technicians in the same...and they drove through the night to avoid other traffic.. and kept the heater/aircon off... and probably drove on side lights to save power.... and as they were going O'Groats to Lands End it was downhill all the way so far easier....
I'm not entirely sure what 'record' has been broken that is so impressive that it makes it newsworthy....
Big wow.. they managed to average 6.5 miles per kWH, but only by making that 840 mile 27 hour journey with no music or radio, keeping windows shut and avoiding busy traffic with a support crew within tow. Not exactly real world conditions and proves diddly squat that makes me think about owning an EV yet..
Was on the local telly here, over 2 nights. They lost 5 minutes because a charger they plugged into didn't work, that meant their reserve time was considerable reduced. As you say what record was broken?

True - but in future (if we are going to re-look at how we're making them) it may be possible to engineer a solution where they can be extracted from the side / underneath in a standardised manner (for rapid swaps instead of in-car charging).

I wasn't actually talking of the charging (I was going down the standardisation of battery type manufacture route, with the batteries staying in cars as they currently do), but it's an option that should/is (?) being considered.
Patrick and Sean Murphy and their team of catalytic converter engineers approves this comment. Rapid swaps without the swaps..

Chef

LE
When I read this article this morning I thought that's impressive and maybe we're getting to a point of overcoming the range anxiety question. Mustang Mach-E driven from John O'Groats to Lands End and 'beaks the record'...

I assumed that 'record' was the range, but no, as the car was charged at public service stations along the route... and was accompanied by a team of AA engineers along the route (in their diesel recovery trucks presumably) and Ford technicians in the same...and they drove through the night to avoid other traffic.. and kept the heater/aircon off... and probably drove on side lights to save power.... and as they were going O'Groats to Lands End it was downhill all the way so far easier....
I'm not entirely sure what 'record' has been broken that is so impressive that it makes it newsworthy....
Big wow.. they managed to average 6.5 miles per kWH, but only by making that 840 mile 27 hour journey with no music or radio, keeping windows shut and avoiding busy traffic with a support crew within tow. Not exactly real world conditions and proves diddly squat that makes me think about owning an EV yet..
The review says it all:
'World records like this are all about teamwork.
Yes, top-drawer driving skills are required, but so too are months of planning, selecting and testing the right car for a journey of hundreds of miles.
The aim was to assess whether these electric cars are now viable for real-world long distance use.
I admit I wasn't convinced an electric car was yet quite a match for petrol or diesel for very long distance travel.
I've changed my mind. We have reached the tipping point.'

Google Maps reckons the 837 mile journey as 14hrs 13mins. As opposed to 27 hours.

We have bimbled over to the south of France, admittedly about fifty miles less. Apart from booking ferry tickets planning consisted of packing sweeties and drinks.

Despite what I like to think I'm probably not a 'top-drawer' driver but we managed. Likewise a roundtrip to Shrewsbury at the hurry up after a phonecall. Full tank and no stopping.

Tipping point my eye.

The review says it all:
Yes, top-drawer driving skills are required, but so too are months of planning, selecting and testing the right car for a journey of hundreds of miles.
The aim was to assess whether these electric cars are now viable for real-world long distance use.
I admit I wasn't convinced an electric car was yet quite a match for petrol or diesel for very long distance travel.

Google Maps reckons the 837 mile journey as 14hrs 13mins. As opposed to 27 hours.

We have bimbled over to the south of France, admittedly about fifty miles less. Apart from booking ferry tickets planning consisted of packing sweeties and drinks.

Despite what I like to think I'm probably not a 'top-drawer' driver but we managed. Likewise a roundtrip to Shrewsbury at the hurry up after a phonecall. Full tank and no stopping.

Tipping point my eye.
You cynic you ;-)

Tyk

LE
The review says it all:

Tipping point my eye.

Indeed, it's actually made the vehicle and "achievement" look really lousy.
Compared to a 10 year old Mondeo diesel or petrol with a codriver being able to do the trip starting at say 19:30 hours and pitching up in Lands End for a late breakfast having had the aircon and radio on all the way it sucks.
Odds are that a couple of blokes with a second hand 100k mile Tesla and no support team could do at least as well if not a fair bit better so long as they spend a hour at most to plan the route to find charger points.

Last edited:

Blogg

LE
Meanwhile:

25 mega-cities produce 52 per cent of the world's urban greenhouse gas emissions​

The worst 25 cities for total emissions with figures in megatonnes of CO₂ equivalent:

1. Handan, China (199.71)
  2. Shanghai, China (187.93)
  3. Suzhou, China (151.79)
  4. Dalian, China (142.51)
  5. Beijing, China (132.58)
  6. Tianjin, China (125.89)
  7. Moscow, Russia (112.53)
  8. Wuhan, China (110.86)
  9. Qingdao, China (93.56)
  10. Chongqing, China (80.58)
  11. Wuxi, China (76.88)
  12. Urumqi, China (75.32)
  13. Guangzhou, China (71.03)
  14. Huizhou, China (68.74)
  15. Shijiazhuang, China (67.80)
  16. Zhengzhou, China (66.16)
  17. Tokyo, Japan (66.08)
  18. Shengyang, China (64.10)
  19. Kaohsiung, China (63.64)
  20. Kunming, China (62.96)
  21. Shenzhen, China (62.91)
  22. Hangzhou, China (61.41)
  23. Hong Kong, China (55.90)
  24. Yinchuan, China (55.49)
  25. Chengdu , China (54.49

Indeed, it's actually made the vehicle and "achievement" look really lousy.
Compared to a 10 year old Mondeo diesel or petrol with a codriver being able to do the trip starting at say 19:30 hours and pitching up in Lands End for a late breakfast having had the aircon and radio on all the way it sucks.
Odds are that a couple of blokes with a second hand 100k mile Tesla and no support team could do at least as well if not a fair bit better so long as they spend a hour at most to plan the route to find charger points.
I don’t think you would need any planning. Just fully charge and go for it, the car will do the plan as you go.

Tyk

LE
I don’t think you would need any planning. Just fully charge and go for it, the car will do the plan as you go.

Probably, but having a coffee and taking a quick peer at a map wouldn't hurt.

I really don't understand the fuss they're making about the team and the achievement as it seems a really crappy time for something that seems fairly trivial and doesn't need a top of the line car or any kind of team.
So long as there are working recharge points available.

anglo

LE
Going from A to B is not so hard.
Come for a week's holiday in Cornwall, and see how often you can find an available charger,
along with the rest of the visitors, that will enable you to travel about during the week, and
get you home at the end of the week, after day 2 you spend all your time waiting to charge
your car
Edit Remember if you stay in an out-of-the-way place there will be no charger,
so everybody will be staying near a charging point

Going from A to B is not so hard.
Come for a week's holiday in Cornwall, and see how often you can find an available charger,
along with the rest of the visitors, that will enable you to travel about during the week, and
get you home at the end of the week, after day 2 you spend all your time waiting to charge
your car
Edit Remember if you stay in an out-of-the-way place there will be no charger,
so everybody will be staying near a charging point
:) are you sure you really want to go through all that again. I don’t.

I will say though, I bet it would be easier driving an EV around The Duchy right now than in a few years time when there are a lot more on the road.

Tyk

LE

I will say though, I bet it would be easier driving an EV around The Duchy right now than in a few years time when there are a lot more on the road.

No doubt of that, the charging infrastructure will need a heck of a lot of upgrading if it's going to support a large scale move to EV's.
There are so many cars on the UK roads compared to most of Europe and the USA it's going to be a challenge to find points and a significant challenge to power them. People who can slower charge at home will be OK until they need to take a longer trip.

Probably, but having a coffee and taking a quick peer at a map wouldn't hurt.

I really don't understand the fuss they're making about the team and the achievement as it seems a really crappy time for something that seems fairly trivial and doesn't need a top of the line car or any kind of team.
So long as there are working recharge points available.
Can you still buy maps.

anglo

LE

a lot more on the road.

Cornwall is full to overflow at the moment, camper vans are everywhere, the campsites are full.
There are no houses available to rent. and that's a first for Cornwall
People are moving into Cornwall by the thousand, they say they are moving for a better life,
the numbers moving in are destroying that dream,
Cornwall as changed forever,
It's going to be hell to charge a EV

oddly enough I purchased a few this week
much easier to use than digital stuff
I used to like using maps when I was walking as a backup to the GPS. Something satisfying about navigating by map and compass.

For the car though there is a whopping great screen in the dash. Bung in where you want to go and it will analyze your driving and navigate you charger to charger. Easy to use once you get used to it.

a lot more on the road.

Cornwall is full to overflow at the moment, camper vans are everywhere, the campsites are full.
There are no houses available to rent. and that's a first for Cornwall
People are moving into Cornwall by the thousand, they say they are moving for a better life,
the numbers moving in are destroying that dream,
Cornwall as changed forever,
It's going to be hell to charge a EV
Shame I loved the West Country, did a lot of growing up there.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to like using maps when I was walking as a backup to the GPS. Something satisfying about navigating by map and compass.

For the car though there is a whopping great screen in the dash. Bung in where you want to go and it will analyze your driving and navigate you charger to charger. Easy to use once you get used to it.
not in the batmobile
even the radio is thick
but its an ex cop car so no surprises

I did have an expensive tom tom for europe with free map upgrades
except it started taking ages to turn on, then keeps popping up with messages every time I turn it on and wanting updating
which takes ages
and now they want me to buy a newer version with lifetime maps
oddly enough I already had that facility
F*** them
its in the bin

not in the batmobile
even the radio is thick
but its an ex cop car so no surprises

I did have an expensive tom tom for europe with free map upgrades
except it started taking ages to turn on, then keeps popping up with messages every time I turn it on and wanting updating
which takes ages
and now they want me to buy a newer version with lifetime maps
oddly enough I already had that facility
F*** them
its in the bin
What’s wrong with a phone?

My old Landcruiser has no satnav or Bluetooth; it does have a cassette player though! I picked up a Bluetooth radio transmitter thing that plugs into the 12v socket (which actually has a cigarette lighter - the beast is that old). Bluetooth the iPhone to it and it transmits to the radio.

Put the phone on a bracket and voila, a satnav.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
What’s wrong with a phone?

My old Landcruiser has no satnav or Bluetooth; it does have a cassette player though! I picked up a Bluetooth radio transmitter thing that plugs into the 12v socket (which actually has a cigarette lighter - the beast is that old). Bluetooth the iPhone to it and it transmits to the radio.

Put the phone on a bracket and voila, a satnav.
Nokia 105
designed for old people !!

Latest Threads