What would make you buy an electric car?

The sale of new internal combustion engined (ICE) cars will be banned from 2030 - yes that´s in only nine years time!

I get my thrills from my motorcycle and I regard cars as just a routine means of taking the missus shopping so I don´t get excited by V8s etc. So I´m leaning towards a plug-in hybrid for my next car (yes I´m aware they will be included in the 2030 ban). I live in a detached house with a garage so no problems recharging. I don´t commute but go to the city about 40km away from time to time and similar length trips to the golf course etc with the odd weekend away (>300km). So a plug in seems to make perfect sense. And it appeals to my inner tree hugger. Anyone else out there thinking of taking the plunge?

jmb3296

War Hero
Looks like my interest in the classic car market will take off around then

Currently, the comprehensive infrastructure for electric cars coupled with their absence of meaningful and reliable range in all weathers doesn’t make it an option for anything other than a very short distance shop run car.

I am not seeing any 4x4 or load luggers amounts to the current offerings either

I'll be more tempted when I find out how they're going to fill the gaping hole caused by the loss of fuel duty. Because as sure as eggs is eggs, the tax is going to fall on EV somehow. How much is the only question.

In their current iteration? There is no power, either on Earth nor in Heaven, that would persuade me to buy one of them.

. . . and I'll have long turned to dust before any mass production EVs are a viable alternative.

What would make you buy an electric car?​

1. Being able to drive from Bergen to Oslo (or equivalent distance) without having to stop for a recharge. (not even once)
2. Not costing a fortune. <300k Nok
3. Manufacturers building something that is practical for a family of four plus 24kg dog. That can be loaded for a weekend away. My 2019 ford focus estate does this perfectly. Add roof box for winter adventures.
4. The Norwegian government forcing my hand, by taking away all other options. (happening right now)

SK

Last edited:

1. Being able to drive from Bergen to Oslo (or equivalent distance) without having to stop for a recharge. (not even once)
2. Not costing a fortune. <30Nok
3. Manufacturers building something that is practical for a family of four plus 24kg dog. That can be loaded for a weekend away.
4. The Norwegian government forcing my hand, by taking away all other options. (happening right now)

SK
We are told here in the UK that Norway is the EV golden child, and that everyone there is buying EV’s. Don’t tell me that this picture is incomplete!

2. Not costing a fortune. <30Nok
3. Manufacturers building something that is practical for a family of four plus 24kg dog. That can be loaded for a weekend away.

SK
Thanks for answering the question. Interesting to get your perspective from Norway where you are much further down the road to electric vehicles.

Taxation per mile.
Not going to raise enough. Most EV are going to be doing short runs then parked up for the day. If you only tax when it moves you're losing lots of lovely tax. Every time you fill up your petrol tank your front loading loads of tax. The chancellor doesn't car if you pay for a tank of tax and leave it parked, he's got your money already.

The sale of new internal combustion engined (ICE) cars will be banned from 2030 - yes that´s in only nine years time!
So they say...for now.
The technology marching on right now, I think, will see both even smaller CC ICE mills charging hybrids, plus Hydrogen power etc.
Just my view.
The Treasury gets around 29 billions of tax from fossil fuel vehicles....no way can it afford to drop that lot 100%.
And if we think it's only going to take 9 years & billions to ramp up sufficient charging points in conjunction with losing billions....let's just see.

Whatever happened to hydrogen powered cars? No need for megatonnes of rare earths to make batteries for them.

4(T)

LE
1. Change in the laws of physics so that electrical storage systems achieve energy density parity with hydrocarbon fuels, instead of c.10-15%;

2. Another change in the laws of physics to enable the charging speeds of battery systems to achieve parity with the refuelling speeds of hydrocarbon systems (c.2 minutes);

3. Bountiful harvest #1 from the magic money tree to provide the £100bn's required to provide charging infrastructure;

4. Bountiful harvest #2 from magic money tree to build 50-odd nuclear reactors to provide leccy;

5. Bountiful harvest #3 from magic money tree to create safe, low-cost and environmentally friendly mass industry in battery and motor recycling;

6. Reduction of UK population by 75% in order to free up the parking space outside domestic dwellings required for electrical charging;

7. Reduction of travelling population by 100% to ensure charger cables are still there in the morning.;

oh, and

8. Bountiful harvest #4 from magic money tree for govt to give me the £100k or so required to purchased EVs to replace the two or three ICE vehicles we have.

I don't see a problem with any of this - PM seems full of confidence...

Whatever happened to hydrogen powered cars? No need for megatonnes of rare earths to make batteries for them.
Money.
In the USA decades back (so the story went) a very clever chappy had his Mustang running off Hydrogen.
The zorst fumes, I think, condensed to drinkable water?
Anyhow, again the story goes he was paid a pile of bucks to STF up.
Imagine...having a mini hydrocracker with today's tech and filling your car up form your kitchen tap.

However.....

Also, Elon Musk says it's a crap idea....which means he's worried and it's probably and excellent idea.

Cost and range. That’s it really. Not at all bothered about power, that’s pretty much assured. In the “demonstration of what we’re capable of” stakes, this is probably the most convincing thing I have ever seen.

A lot of the usual anti EV arguments showing up here. In general they are based on assumptions that in my opinion are not valid, in particular that we have the right to go wherever we want, when we want in an enormous SUV with all our kids and, BBQs and a canoe on the roof etc. What´s wrong with a family outing once a year on the bus to Margate for fish and chips and a paddle in the sea with a knotted hanky on your head? What I´m trying to say is that with EVs, you have to do a bit more planning based on distance, charge points etc so you may not have the extensive freedom of movement that you have become used to at the expense of the planet.

People have also talked about the fact that the government can´t afford to give up fuel duty. True, but they will continue to pass on substantial savings for many years beyond 2030 to wean people of petrol/diesel. During that process and once it is complete, of course it will need to find a substitute to tax and why not? We need to pay tax to pay for services. Just because we give up ICE doesn´t mean we become exempt from taxation.

Union Jack

Old-Salt

I get my thrills from my motorcycle and I regard cars as just a routine means of taking the missus shopping so I don´t get excited by V8s etc. So I´m leaning towards a plug-in hybrid for my next car (yes I´m aware they will be included in the 2030 ban). I live in a detached house with a garage so no problems recharging. I don´t commute but go to the city about 40km away from time to time and similar length trips to the golf course etc with the odd weekend away (>300km). So a plug in seems to make perfect sense. And it appeals to my inner tree hugger. Anyone else out there thinking of taking the plunge?
Perfectly consistent with your moniker, vide:

Jorrocks' Jaunts and Jollities - The Hunting, Shooting, Racing, Driving, Sailing, Eccentric and Extravagant Exploits.

Jack

NSP

LE
I bet it won't be in the face of a public backlash and a complete failure to ensure sufficient infrastructure to charge electric cars.

When you answer the problems around charging.

1: Last I looked a modern EV releases hydrogen when charging indoors. This can build up and BOOM. Now this isn't an issue in warhouse industry as the problem is well understood and managed, but to roll this out to the general public, and you're asking for trouble. So why not keep them outside?
2: When the temperature drops modern EV's go to trickle charging, meaning you won't have a full charge.

Thus you need a properly ventilated, and sufficiently heated garage for charging. Of course removable battery packs could help with this, but imagine the scenario of wrestling a battery pack out to the car on an icy cold morning. Also one of the most explosive incident's I've seen was when someone tried to change a 30kwh battery on a Reach truck, and sliced the top off it.
Oh then there was the time the guy trying to change the battery dropped it and it fell on its side spilling a puddle of acid everywhere...

Finally look at the average street in a old city centre. Now imagine the sheer number of cables running from house to car, assuming you can park close enough to home. Until someone perfects wireless charging, or installs flat plate chargers (like you can do with phones and watches these days) at the sides of all roads (which then leads to questions about who pays and whose plugging in) then it all breaks down.

NSP

LE
I intend to buy a new ICE car in 2029 and keep it running until I kark it basically. The 'leccy version of my mid-range 208 had a £32k price tag last time I was in the dealers. Mine cost me £11k in 2014 and £20pa tax. I don't have to pay a fortune to have the fuel tank taken out, disposed of and replaced every five years, either.

1. Change in the laws of physics so that electrical storage systems achieve energy density parity with hydrocarbon fuels, instead of c.10-15%;

2. Another change in the laws of physics to enable the charging speeds of battery systems to achieve parity with the refuelling speeds of hydrocarbon systems (c.2 minutes);

3. Bountiful harvest #1 from the magic money tree to provide the £100bn's required to provide charging infrastructure;

4. Bountiful harvest #2 from magic money tree to build 50-odd nuclear reactors to provide leccy;

5. Bountiful harvest #3 from magic money tree to create safe, low-cost and environmentally friendly mass industry in battery and motor recycling;

6. Reduction of UK population by 75% in order to free up the parking space outside domestic dwellings required for electrical charging;

7. Reduction of travelling population by 100% to ensure charger cables are still there in the morning.;

oh, and

8. Bountiful harvest #4 from magic money tree for govt to give me the £100k or so required to purchased EVs to replace the two or three ICE vehicles we have.

I don't see a problem with any of this - PM seems full of confidence...
So you’re really excited about buying one soon then?

Latest Threads