What would make the best ever PO visit?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by barbs, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Back in the day :roll: I did loads of these and then "contributed" to some at RD. I'm interested in what the people now looking to join as POs would want out of a PO visit?
  2. To see the unit your visiting as it is.

I recently visited a battalion that had nothing special laid on for us because of operational committments, yet I found it brilliant. The dead time was spent in the gym or in the naafi meeting soldiers and I came away with what I felt was a 'warts and all' picture of the battalion. Whats more is we were treated like intelligent adults for a change given a choice and a say in what we did and saw, and we were told where to be and when without constant supervision.

edit: saying that probably helped it was in Cyprus as well.
  3. One of the best experiences I've had on a PO visit was taking part in a sport afternoon with the OR's and afterwards having a pretty candid chat about what they liked/disliked about the infantry.

Getting some hands on the heavy equipment, such as bulldog or the RE version of the JCB is quite fun too.

Oh, and of course spending 13 hours in the bar.
  4. msr

msr LE

I think it should include answer to the most common questions asked in the joining up forums.

5. I'm going on one in July with the Duke of Lancs, apparently half of the battalion is at Bisley and the other half is in Brecon being the hunters in an SAS Selection E&E exercise!
  6. Which battalion?
  7. Best PO visit? Surely the one to the 1st Bn The Royal Swedish Amazonians, who are looking for a token male due to equal rights legislation (and the fact that they're running out of batteries).
  8. Joking aside, those visits that really give POs a decent experience and a view of what they really get up to are the best. So many Fam visits ive been on in the past have tried to emulate the briefing/main board process, and tell you very little about the particular regiment/corps.
    In my opinion the purpose of the briefing is to prepare you for the board, and you shouldn't need any preparation for the briefing, or at least not from a fam visit. The idea of a fam/POs visit is to inform the PO about the regiment/corps and what they do. One of the best things you can do is let POs talk to the lads, as they have a 'no holds barred' approach. Another good idea is showing them some kit and a view of the social life, hosted by the troopies where possible. I understand so many corps are limited in their budgets, but given that OCdts at RMAS are required to make a choice of Regiment/Corps in week three of the course, Fam visits are vital to give an idea of the role of said regiment before OCdts make the plunge.

Rant over
  9. Dagenham Girl Pipers?
  10. 1 I think, as the 2 is in Cyprus.

Some of 1 are in Catterick, some is Bisley and some apparently in Brecon.

The Major is writing to me in a week or so hopefully :)