• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

What would keep you in?

#1
I have recently been given the task to give a presentation on retention ideas that would keep our young soldiers from signing off at the first oppurtunity. The usual Pay/over Committed/Accom are too obviuos, I need fresh "Off the wall" Ideas that Senior Officers would never think of!
Before the onslaught of abuse, I have interviewed all my troops and have taken Ideas from my Regt, I'm just looking at a bigger audience.
Thanks for suitable ideas, Pse think outside the box!
 
#2
What unit are you on about ive got some ideas but all would only be suitable to the smarter soldier.
 
#3
Chuzu said:
What unit are you on about ive got some ideas but all would only be suitable to the smarter soldier.
Its not Unit based, the Army in general, why? is it just your unit that has smart soldiers?
 
#4
Removing some of the "treatment barriers". ie. Officers getting huge houses for just him and mrs, whilst a young tom struggles with the better part of a section in a two bedroom terrace.

Ensuring that they are always valued, not employed on bone tasks that are carry overs from older days ie tidying up after the sgts mess function (from another thread).

(not from personal experience just from my view)
 
#6
1. Guarantee I'll never be platoon signaller again
2. Guarantee I'll never have an FMT600 or drive a millitary vehicle again
3. Pay all my expenses since leaving army including course & exam fees
4. Guaranteed deployment on next Herrick tour
5. On return guaranteed places on all promotional courses up to senior brecon, with immediate promotion on completion.
6. Signed letter from the Queen allowing me to walk if any of the above is not fulfilled.

If they do all that I'd snap their hands off and rejoin.

Before I left the Platoon Commander in his wisdom attempted to keep me in by offering me a posting to the army youth team??? Cheers! He did write a good testimonial though.
 
#7
what would keep me in?

A forcast of events that was stuck to.
guard dutys that werent put up on the last day of the month.
courses that were easier to get on.pref postings that seemed like there had been considered.
company subs that actually went to something.
being able to grow proper sidburns/hair length/ poss goaty.
 
#8
Sorry for jumping in on the junior;s thread, but how about this for an idea.

All soldiers should be promoted every three years, unless the 1RO and the 2RO actively prevent this in CR's. This would ensure that all soldiers are permitted a full career range and do not have to worry so much about upsetting the boss. There should stiil be flexibility for particular astute soldiers to progress faster. This method would streamline promotion boards. It would also reassure the soldier as he/she does not have to put up with sometimes poorly written wishy washy CR's.

Soldiers should also be allowed to wear their new rank on the day the board is published, just as officers do.

This whole idea would aid retention and enable the CoC to deal with problem children more effectively as more time can be devoted to them.
 
#9
dingerr said:
Sorry for jumping in on the junior;s thread, but how about this for an idea.

All soldiers should be promoted every three years, unless the 1RO and the 2RO actively prevent this in CR's. This would ensure that all soldiers are permitted a full career range and do not have to worry so much about upsetting the boss. There should stiil be flexibility for particular astute soldiers to progress faster. This method would streamline promotion boards. It would also reassure the soldier as he/she does not have to put up with sometimes poorly written wishy washy CR's.

Soldiers should also be allowed to wear their new rank on the day the board is published, just as officers do.

This whole idea would aid retention and enable the CoC to deal with problem children more effectively as more time can be devoted to them.
All good points. One reason i jacked after 12 years was the poor promotion system. Regardless of the 'O' grades I got I was still passed over. I was dammed if I was going to spend 22 years as a lance jack.
 
#10
Thats exactly what i was referring to you probably got O grades because the heirarchy know that is the first thing a soldier looks at and if its an A or an O (no porn pun intended) then they really don't read the write up,
which is quite often pish i bet people with A's and B's got promoted above your O because they got a good write up.

I was lucky and served on the same camp as a Div HQ and a WO1 taught me how to read a CR properly and what alot of the officer speak meant.

comments such as forthright very much seen as negative, but if you questioned your 1RO he would pay it off as good, consequently if they liked you they would substitute forthright with robust.

and who's seen the comment "in time will make a good sgt (etc)" and been happy thinking that is a firm recommendation for promotion - its not it means "do not promote this man yet"

RLC officers appear to be the worst when it comes to writing poor CRs.

As an aside Tank Transporter was the only driver trade that was worth anything, shame the feckers who binned it didn't understand anything about it.
 
#11
dingerr said:
Thats exactly what i was referring to you probably got O grades because the heirarchy know that is the first thing a soldier looks at and if its an A or an O (no porn pun intended) then they really don't read the write up,
which is quite often pish i bet people with A's and B's got promoted above your O because they got a good write up.

I was lucky and served on the same camp as a Div HQ and a WO1 taught me how to read a CR properly and what alot of the officer speak meant.

comments such as forthright very much seen as negative, but if you questioned your 1RO he would pay it off as good, consequently if they liked you they would substitute forthright with robust.

and who's seen the comment "in time will make a good sgt (etc)" and been happy thinking that is a firm recommendation for promotion - its not it means "do not promote this man yet"

RLC officers appear to be the worst when it comes to writing poor CRs.

As an aside Tank Transporter was the only driver trade that was worth anything, shame the feckers who binned it didn't understand anything about it.


You better tell 16 Tank Transporter that there trade has been binned, I think the word downgraded suits, not binned. Dingerr your very Forthright! Or should I say Robust. :numberone:
 
#12
What would keep me in?

Getting paid for all those days leave that I am unable to take due to op tours, exercises and other commitments.
Surely I am not the only person who does not get all their leave squeezed into 12 months.!!!
 
#13
brew_boy said:
What would keep me in?

Getting paid for all those days leave that I am unable to take due to op tours, exercises and other commitments.
Surely I am not the only person who does not get all their leave squeezed into 12 months.!!!
I'm staying in as I don't fancy getting a proper job :D

Brew, I have had to carry over my full amount of leave (15 days) every year since 2002 (including this year as well) as I have not been able to take it due to various commitments.

I think that in order to retain people, they should think about having some serious retentive bonuses. I got £3k at my 4 1/2 yr point and £2.5k at my 7 year point before tax-an absolute pittance when you think about it. They should increase these by a serious amount.
 
#14
Moon_Monkey_Spunk said:
You better tell 16 Tank Transporter that there trade has been binned, I think the word downgraded suits, not binned. Dingerr your very Forthright! Or should I say Robust. :numberone:
Yes apologies, but the trade is not what it needs to be.

Both quotes tend to appear in my CRs, which one tends to depend on if i have upset my 1RO that year.
 
#15
the same thing that has kept me in for ages...seeing my mates rejoin

other things might include

career options. we have an arrivals brief thats asks us if we want to be a yeoman/foreman or do we eventually want to be the razz man. a little more interest in the individuals career any aspirations a bit closer to home. one/two/three years in advance, next posting advice, (all my unit knowledge has been based on other lads posted in from that unit. or knows someone who has)

being valued. often tought how to show respect during our career but treated like the base line idiot in most if not all situations.

manning, a biggy from all accounts and the constant bitching on my msn its happening corps wide. mates in germany and uk arent content they have enough blokes to lighten the load already placed on them by constant ops and usual camp rotations.

listening to the bods. at a certain place i know about 2 years ago people were begging to get out on tour but its the ones who didnt want to go who were sent, before anything is mentioned experience levels and NSNs were the same as well as trade groups and likeness of career profiling.
same goes for postings, courses, career choices. an arrivals proforma isnt the be all and end all out of the few i have signed my options have changed considerably.

getting the leave in, nuff said. iv got 20+ to take and have been physically unable to take it. i reckon i can squeeze in another 8 before apr 1st but its not the point!

most toms quit after 3-4 years around the same time as thier new posting. god knows why

actually doing our trade. spent alot of my time spannering and picking up the phone it was only when i was actually put on attachment to anyone else i was Tx and Rx on a fully working net. was a good feeling to be doing my job for once. i realise that the other jobs need to be done and due to manning time cannot be made for trade knowledge. i have witnessed alot of trade fade within the corps. myself included. it can lead to embarrasing situations.

swings and roundabouts
 
#16
I thought about the leave thing the other day. I don't think you should be paid for leave you haven't taken though.

What about more flexibility in the leave? ie. you get 30 days a year, if you don't use them they merely carry over, without resorting to "begging" letters to the boss to carry them over.

A case in point. I had a year where I couldn't take all my leave and lost a good few days. The next year, I got married, and took pretty much all my leave in the process. In that year, I also moved units and ran out of leave (I supplemented the one day of leave awarded for moving intra-theatre with a few days), and was promtly put on day on/day on duties whilst my mates all went home. The next year, I again, struggled to take all my leave.

The moral, if there is one,? If I could have carried more days over from the first year, I wouldn't have struggled in a year when I had the time to take the leave (not to mention reasons to), and in the final year my unit wouldn't have suffered my bolshiness in making damn sure I took all my leave.

Surely the new JPA system could have a "leave account" that topped up the amount, rather than reset annually? Also additional leaves such as POTL, maternity/paternity and ren could be added on to this amount. The leave could then sit there until used.

Is it two weeks available for paternity leave? That could be added but with no clause as to when it was taken. If leave wasn't needed in the first two weeks of birth (for example) but was needed later for illness or what have you then the days could be taken then. Likewise POTL and ren. Obviously maternity leave is going to be taken when the kid wants it!!!!!

Whilst some may say that it could lead to people with massive stashes of leave, I don't think it would. It would allow people more flexibility, to take leave when they wish and on what they wish (maybe a two week cruise saved up from five years worth of leaves) rather than having to take leave because they have to and spending it dossing around barracks or, worse, coming in to work to finish the important paperwork.

On end of service it could be used for resettlement or house hunting or what ever else is needed.
 
#17
we shouldnt have block leave periods either, Easter, Summer and Christmas are possibly the most expensive times of the year to go on holiday. Its fine for the pads who's kids have that time off too. but joe Singley then has to pay double for his holiday ! Its YOUR leave so YOU can take it when YOU want !
 
#18
Carrying over leave automaticaly would probably help unit work, as they wouldn't have to send people on leave to use it up, it may also help some of our Common Wealth soldiers too.

I know two weeks doesn't seem enough when going back to Blighty so how it works when you go to Fiji or similar is beyond me. Also if they marry at home, they may need more time. Sort of like the old Gurkha Long Leave but shorter and paid.

Also I recently used some of my ren leave to go on a lock smith course. Good fun (alright you may think geeky) and I got a qual! If I could save all those odds and sods days together I could have done the course also.

Obviously if you had any days left on your last day in the army/forces (JPA!) then you would lose them. That would keep the days down, certainly in the run up to sign off/end of service. As I said before, I don't really believe in payment in lieu of leave.
 
#19
chocolate_frog said:
Carrying over leave automaticaly would probably help unit work, as they wouldn't have to send people on leave to use it up, it may also help some of our Common Wealth soldiers too.

I know two weeks doesn't seem enough when going back to Blighty so how it works when you go to Fiji or similar is beyond me. Also if they marry at home, they may need more time. Sort of like the old Gurkha Long Leave but shorter and paid.

Also I recently used some of my ren leave to go on a lock smith course. Good fun (alright you may think geeky) and I got a qual! If I could save all those odds and sods days together I could have done the course also.

Obviously if you had any days left on your last day in the army/forces (JPA!) then you would lose them. That would keep the days down, certainly in the run up to sign off/end of service. As I said before, I don't really believe in payment in lieu of leave.

nothing to do with question but any info you could give me on the locksmith course you did would be great, pm please, just want to know what one you went on, cost, time and so on. been thinking about doing this for a while.
 
#20
Why not do what the spams do (at least I think it was them), you have x days leave per year, if you are not able to take them or even don't want to take them then these days are kept on your record. Now when you actually leave the army you can either use all these days as a form of gardening leave or if you want to you can take it in cash.

Second point, re-enlistment bonus, I know the system has changed a bit but how about this for an idea, you commit to say 3 years, in this time you can not leave but at the 2.5 year point you have to decide if you want to continue serving and if so for how long, now the bonus is X amount times how long you have done plus how long you sign on for ie you have already done 6 years and decide on another 6 then you would get 12 times the bonus, of course during the time you have agreed to do there would be no way of leaving early or you would have to pay the cash back.
 

Latest Threads

Top