What would have happened had we not recovered the Falklands?

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by Litotes, Apr 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wouldn't like to try to rewrite history but, perhaps, with some distance between then and now, what would have happened had we failed?

1. Would Mrs Thatcher have survived?

2. Would Britain's standing in the world have been unduly affected?

3. What would have happened to the Services? Would there have been more money to correct the deficiencies, or less, in order to punish us?

Litotes

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

1. Nope - so none of the reform she pushed through would have taken effect - for better or for worse.

2. Not really

3. Nope

Falklands would have however become a total shithole rather than experiencing the mini boom it's going through due to fishing revenue.

Oh and Argentina would have had to wait a lot longer before regaining democracy if ever.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Probably - she was the greatest leader next to Churchill after all. Anyway - she wouldn't have allowed us to fail.

Yes, big time. It would be open house in far off colonies (have we got any left?)

Would there have been more money to correct the deficiencies, or less, in order to punish us? More money, but lots of disgrace. Lots of beating up about our world role, perhaps lots more money (I would hope).

4. 1. Nope.

2. Yes undoubtedly it would have gone downwards. IIRC the Soviets did some rearrangement of troops in the WGF to take into account that the Brits were still capable of doing some serious arrse-kicking. If Yuri is in on this thread maybe he could confirm or otherwise my somehwat dimmed recollection that the Sovs also launched a Surveillance and EW Satellite to listen in to things like Rapier and other electronic goodies. We obviously impressed them!

3. Down the sh1thole- nearly where they are today with this bunch of arrse politicians in charge :evil:

5. 2. I believe the Spanish would have become a lot more aggressive about Gibraltar.

6. Thatcher would have gone, and gone very quickly.

Britain would have lost all or any credibility on the world stage. More to the point the Falklands re-established self pride in the British (apart from the BBC and the Labour party).

The effect on the Services would have depended on the post failure National mood. One faction would have wanted severe restraint and one would have wanted complete rebuilding.

Perhaps more interesting is what would have happened overall. The Falklands victory gave heart to the West in the Cold War, strengthened resolve at the level where it mattered etc. The Sovs took the hint that the West did have some backbone after all. Would Maggies successors have been prepared to take on Scargill and his chums when they got stroppy.

7. 2. It would merely have fast-forwarded us to where we are today... :pissedoff:

8. I'm not so sure as wasn't she facing peacenik, CND loving Michael Foot at the time??

I suppose Hessa could have been PM though?? :roll:

9. Hell's teeth! You're right. Hezza as PM? But don't you think he would have nuked both the Russkis and the miners?

Litotes

10. Yep, unless Kryptonite was involved.

Unduly affected? You mean duly damaged surely? As it would have been damaged and deservedly so! Fancy not being able to put the Argies "back in their box"!

More money, to build a task force to go back some 10 years later at the end of her PM-ship to retake the islands. I don't think she'd have let it lie. Anyone else and the sheep would be bleating in spanish.

TB

11. Hezza was (and is) a pratt. a Blair type for the 80's. I was at JDSC when he left the MOD and the news was marked by loud cheers, but he could have taken over from Maggie.

The Falklands victory gave people a sense of pride in the old country and allowed Maggie to go on and face down the unions. Those of us old enough to remember the 70's think that that was a good thing.

12. I agree with you there, Mushroom.

Litotes

13. The Parachute Regiment would be a distant memory.

14. Got to agree as well mushroom.

Hezza wasn't doing it for the money or for the good of the country so you have to question his motives.

15. Agreed.

Thatcher would not have survived, the UK's remaining credibility in the world would have evaporated, and the short- and long-term effects on all the services would have been disastrous.

That's not to glorify what happened - today is rather a solemn day - but HMG did what was clearly necessary at the time.

RIP all who died; and thoughts and prayers with all who were wounded in body or mind.