What will you do if Brexit is reversed / doesn't happen ?

If Brexit is reversed and doesn't happen what will you do?

• Go postal and fire bomb government buildings .

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • Put my gillet vert on and protest.

Votes: 39 12.4%
  • Stop paying taxes and refuse to cooperate with any government department .

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Absolutely nothing and put up with the lack of democracy .

Votes: 70 22.3%
  • Celebrate the good news .

Votes: 86 27.4%
  • Campaign for another election.

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Something else.

Votes: 45 14.3%
  • Emigrate .

Votes: 20 6.4%

• Total voters
The only way we're not going to leave the EU is if there's a second referendum that says "No". As far as I know, no party is talking about just withdrawing Article 50. Sounds democratic enough to me.

And although it wasn't "my" IRA analogy, the threat or use of violence to achieve your political ends is commonly referred to as terrorism (unless governments do it ... a whole different discussion). I'm sure anyone who was involved in PIRA would say their "armed struggle" was justified because it was the only way to achieve a united Ireland, and the UDA/UVF would say their actions were justified because they were a response to those of the IRA, etc. So anyone who threatens or uses violence on the grounds that "it's undemocratic to hold a second referendum and perhaps stay in the EU" is no better than PIRA.

Just less well-organized, in all probability.
Not at the level of rioting it isn't, or when the majority believes that the government no longer listens to them.
Then it's civil unrest.
Terrorism is defined by its name & intent, which is to terrorise the population.

Well, given that I was replying to a post from @RCT(V) that was terribly excited about the possibility of blowing up Parliament or burning it down, it seemed reasonable to ask?

I mean, suggesting that because the democratic institutions have failed to give you the result you want (as opposed to the one decided on by the majority of elected representatives), and that violence is therefore justified, seems... slightly familiar...
Silly @Gravelbelly !!

You do seem unable - or deliberately unwilling - to grasp the idea that supposedly “democratic institutions”, by their self-serving, attitudes and behaviour, can become undemocratic by ignoring the legitimate will of the electorate.

The figures speak for themselves . . .

1552650003582.png

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I don’t know, I’m getting to the stage where I’m past caring, the country is fecked anyhow, taxes always going up, bills going up but services going down.
I fecking surrender.

Published: 13 March 2019.

Lord Pearson cuts through the Brexit betrayal in a speech to the House of Lords.

Well, given that I was replying to a post from @RCT(V) that was terribly excited about the possibility of blowing up Parliament or burning it down, it seemed reasonable to ask?

I mean, suggesting that because the democratic institutions have failed to give you the result you want (as opposed to the one decided on by the majority of elected representatives), and that violence is therefore justified, seems... slightly familiar...
1552656582352.png

I don’t know, I’m getting to the stage where I’m past caring, the country is fecked anyhow, taxes always going up, bills going up but services going down.
I fecking surrender.
You can't surrender man, you're British.

Perhaps some music and a song will help

1. There was an old farmer in Sussex did dwell,
And he had a bad wife, as many knew well.
2. Then Satan came to the old man at the plough,
One of your family I must have now.
3. It is not your eldest son that I crave,
But it is your old wife, and she I will have.
4. O, welcome! good Satan, with all my heart,
I hope you and she will never more part.
5. Now Satan has got the old wife on his back,
And he lugged her along, like a pedlar's pack.
6. He trudged away till they came to his hall-gate,
Says he, Here! take in an old Sussex chap's mate!
7. O! then she did kick the young imps about,
Says one to the other, 'Let's try turn her out.'
8. She spied thirteen imps all dancing in chains,
She up with her pattens, and beat out their brains.
9. She knocked the old Satan against the wall,
Let's try turn her out, or she'll murder us all!
10. Now he's bundled her up on his back again,
And to her old husband he took her again.
11. I have been a tormenter the whole of my life,
But I ne'er was tormented till I met with your wife.

(Last line and fourth last line edited for spelling)

Last edited:
If this mess ends with Brexit being off I'll be relieved, relieved beyond belief. Personally with elderly parents in France, most of my life in Germany and a business where cash has been wasted on stock in fear of Brexit supply issues then it's all better with us in. Add the fact I want my eldest to enjoy Erasmus, and the same opportunities I had. Then there's the macro, volatility in the economy gone, restored sterling (hopefully), a say in EU standards, and the GFA in less danger. Yes, I'd be a hell of a lot happier and wealthier.

If this mess ends with Brexit being off I'll be relieved, relieved beyond belief. Personally with elderly parents in France, most of my life in Germany and a business where cash has been wasted on stock in fear of Brexit supply issues then it's all better with us in. Add the fact I want my eldest to enjoy Erasmus, and the same opportunities I had. Then there's the macro, volatility in the economy gone, restored sterling (hopefully), a say in EU standards, and the GFA in less danger. Yes, I'd be a hell of a lot happier and wealthier.
You should have spoke up earlier before I saw that big ... red ... bus.

I'm looking at the taxes I pay and how to avoid them. I have always played by the rules but the last few days have made me see a bit clearer. Any advice on how to avoid VAT?

register as a charity snip from wiki "A VAT-registered charity can reclaim all the input tax it is charged on purchases which directly relate to taxable goods or services it sells. A charity that is not VAT registered will not be able to recover the VAT it is charged on standard-rated or reduced-rated goods it buys from VAT-registered businesses"

There's a point at which humour gives way to frustration. They COULD always expell us.........here's hoping:mrgreen:

absolutely no chance of that, that would be akin Turkeys voting for Christmas, they are petrified at the thought of losing us as a cash cow, hence all the threats, bluster and bullying by their big wigs. Who else is going to keep their nice fat salaries & expenses paid?

What will I do? Pour myself a couple of fingers worth of decent scotch and laugh at all the outraged Little Englanders whilst singing...

Amen

There were those of us who never had the chances pre EEC, I voted in, not least in my case being half German before the rose tinted glasses in this country. The EU WAS the biggest deception for me.
absolutely no chance of that, that would be akin Turkeys voting for Christmas, they are petrified at the thought of losing us as a cash cow, hence all the threats, bluster and bullying by their big wigs. Who else is going to keep their nice fat salaries & expenses paid?
How true.

register as a charity snip from wiki "A VAT-registered charity can reclaim all the input tax it is charged on purchases which directly relate to taxable goods or services it sells. A charity that is not VAT registered will not be able to recover the VAT it is charged on standard-rated or reduced-rated goods it buys from VAT-registered businesses"
That's not the key thing. The Most important is that most people THINK that people staffing Charities are not paid.

Silly @Gravelbelly !!

You do seem unable - or deliberately unwilling - to grasp the idea that supposedly “democratic institutions”, by their self-serving, attitudes and behaviour, can become undemocratic by ignoring the legitimate will of the electorate.

The figures speak for themselves . . .

View attachment 382622
I think that considering 17.4 million to be a majority of our 65 million population is the problem... 37% of the British population voted for brexit. Admittedly far too many of the remaining 63% didn't vote at all, probably at least in part because they were bamboozled by all the misinformation being thrown around during the campaign. I think the result would be very different now if there were to be a second referendum; better knowledge of what's at stake, the death rate among the older generation who voted disproportionately for Leave and the number of young people who were too young to vote in 2016 but are able to do so now - and would overwhelmingly vote for Remain - would all influence a change in the result. And I think all this is well recognised by brexiteers whose protestations against a second vote reveal their fear that they would lose. After all, if they were convinced of their arguments they'd be pretty sure of winning a second time and would have nothing to worry about...

Published: 13 March 2019.

Lord Pearson cuts through the Brexit betrayal in a speech to the House of Lords.

I wish that all politicians would watch that. A precise portrayal of what is happening & what should happen. His reference to the EU's total unwillingness to compromise whatsoever is spot on.
One has to wonder what bribes/incentives most of the remainer politicians are getting to persuade them to betray their country!!

So you admit to being extremely selfish, not believing in democracy, and believing the bs the EU pumps out.
And finally, what EU standards?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 36
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 137