• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What will SDSR mean to the RAMC?

I met up with a few old colleagues recently and much of the chat revolved around the SDSR and what may transpire for the Corps. The general consencus was that we are not in bad shape but we will still take some hits. As always the rumours and conjecture are all us old timers have, but would be grateful for informed input as to what is in store for the Corps..

Having being RAMC for 31 years and still going ( x reg and a proud STAB of 26 years ) - the TA CMT is slowly being strangled, Clinical Governance is crippling us, the loons that run us can never figure out that a good CMT can be utilised in any situation or department-will help run that dept and let the more educated get on with their jobs while we do the background work-I know I would and have done it........we're off to gan in a short while and the pre-comp file is a messy joke, all the grey mafia I know say it's a waste of time but it keeps some shiney arses in a job.......when we go to war with another country the bods at the top will sit and scatch their heads and wonder who is gonna put all them 18 x 24s up.............................................

Having being RAMC for 31 years and still going ( x reg and a proud STAB of 26 years ) - the TA CMT is slowly being strangled, Clinical Governance is crippling us, the loons that run us can never figure out that a good CMT can be utilised in any situation or department-will help run that dept and let the more educated get on with their jobs while we do the background work-I know I would and have done it........we're off to gan in a short while and the pre-comp file is a messy joke, all the grey mafia I know say it's a waste of time but it keeps some shiney arses in a job.......when we go to war with another country the bods at the top will sit and scatch their heads and wonder who is gonna put all them 18 x 24s up.............................................
I don't want to get into a protracted argument about the job of a CMT but your last remark, however tongue in cheek makes my blood boil. I appreciate that in peacetime (including peacetime locations in times of war) clinical governance severely limits the effectiveness of more than one trade, if not all trades. In times of war most trades will overstep their remit because necessity will dictate they do so. A CMT is a medical jack-of-all-trades who in competent to operate in many disciplines and on their own as well. In fact, the CMT is probably better placed to replace certain, more formally qualified, disciplines much as the Care Assistant replaced the State Enrolled Nurse and most of the manually based work of the RN. If history has taught us anything it's the disastrous effect on morale that a depleted AMS has on the rest of the Army. How much longer will Help4Heroes continue to feel disposed to bale out the Government and allow it to abdicate its responsibilities if further cuts are made to the Defence Medical Budget?

soz Markintime-that last remark was tongue in cheek but was saying yeah we'll put yer tents up, sort all the crap out, get the hospital up and running, sort some brews out etc while the non CMTs look and admire us old farts for doing it all- I speak from experience peace and on ops......-I just think that the CMT is far, far underated and there should be more of us - wont go into too much detail but on my last Herrick the Theatres and wards would not have run too well without TA CMTs being placed in there-non clinical as well and they did a blinding job.....if you get a CMT in who can think and take things in you've cracked it.........soz for any missunderstanding - PS if ya blood is boiling have a nice cold beer-Moggly- proud CMT from 1979 - (was MA up to 84 ) to whenever they kick me out even though I have to rebadge to QA to stay in

do we remember when hca,s were going to replace cmt,s ???
did it happen ?
did it bollocks !!!!!!!!!
we, the great cmt, back bone, of the r.a.m.c, have over the years been much looked down upon, the great un washed,,,,,,,

however, we the few, have allways helped others, with little help from the masters on high. do we, ''the cmt'' moan ? no we dont, we do the job, HELP OTHERS........
change/ its in the post..........
ams, r.a.m.c ,,,,, we will stay be around, doing our bit, helping others,
taking the stick
but proud to serve
helping YOU
waiting for the next task

Really ? Mopping the floors for us more qualified shiney arses. Or taking the bins out...lol
thats rite, we mop the floors and as for taking the bins out , sounds like you need a forearm smash in the chops, tits like you destroy the little moral the corps has..... ******

Maybe they did mop floors but I know they did loads more, obviously I ain't saying what due to clinical governance and if they weren't there there would have been problems-ie take experienced bods from other depts leaving them short ( and having to utilise the great CMT in their place )- we know we can do the job shame the educated can't see it........................

We may be the great unwashed, laugh at us all you want but if you're treating a patient then it's down to his being stabilised by a CMT and cas evaced to you. I never considered myself something special but I still go to sleep looking at the faces of the guys I feel I could have done something more for, the guys who died in the chain before they ever reached the great and the gifted, kept alive by sods mutts; so be it. I didn't do it for you, or even for me, I did it for them.

Moggly - I think we both sing off the same hymn sheet - I didn't get paid a fortune for qualifications that set me above others, I just was made to feel a giant by the guy who came up and said "It's him, I owe my life to this guy"!

I didn't get paid a fortune for qualifications that set me above others, I just was made to feel a giant by the guy who came up and said "It's him, I owe my life to this guy"!
I'll bet you posted that with a straight face. Did this occur after you performed the naked Heimlich on him as he choked on your mukker's chipolata?

Far from the CMT bashing or inter trade piss taking the important point is the SDR is coming and the Corps should be ready to fight their corner or they will get it stuck to them again. Those of us who were around during the last great cull will remember options 1,2,3 and 4 which was only for the RAMC all this came after the first Gulf War which at the time we thought had secured our position, did it shite we as a Corps were still paying the price 10 years later when I got out.

Read the newspaper our new lords and masters are already looking for the exit strategy for the present war do you think the RAMC, AMS or DMS will still be as important then? Will we require so many reserves to support us again sitting in barracks without even a Cold War to fall back on ? Will we need so many Medical Regiments to support an Army which has been cut by upwards of 20%? Answers on a post card chaps it’s a big shit sandwich and its now your turn to take a bite hope it tastes better than it did in the 90s it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after almost 20 years.

I was a CMT for over 20 years I was always better at putting up tents than putting in drips why? Because I got more practice and training at putting up tents just a fact of life. Strangely I was never called a tent fairy or thick by a hand bag wonder why (yes Venty you know why).

Speaking to an old mate again last night who happens to be a fang farrier, he was not very confident or upbeat about SDSR and what wll happen to the Dental Corps. I know my opening post was RAMC but I suppose the whole of the AMS is going to be affected....old loyalties never die :)

"I was a CMT for over 20 years I was always better at putting up tents than putting in drips why? Because I got more practice and training at putting up tents just a fact of life. Strangely I was never called a tent fairy or thick by a hand bag wonder why (yes Venty you know why)."

Cause putting up all those 18 x 96's made you buff???? ;)

All joking aside, I remember the great cull of the early 90's and yep it is probably going to happen again very soon, as pointed out, a cut in manpower across the Army and infact the Forces will no doubt see a cut in AMS and DMS as a whole. We may not seem as important as the Infantry or other teeth arms out fighting the war but it is us (The AMS as a whole) that put them back together when they get broken, but with the pull out inevitable, we will be surplus to requirement until further notice.

I remember the 'great cull', my trade was well manned and we had a handfull take the redundancy (one Sgt at the QEMH left on the friday and started work for us on the monday as agency while squatting in the quarter he was no longer entitled to, he had split up with his wife just before he left on redundancy), no great shakes losing one or two but if we needed to lose some why did we need to re-employ them as civvies?
Then of course the military hospitals closed and in Lillywhites own words at the Iraq Inquiry:

The Defence Cost Studies of the Mid 1990s, which abolished service hospitals, except for Haslar, led to a major outflow of medical personnel. Indeed the House of Commons Defence Committee report at the time did actually opine that the medical services may have beeen beyond recovery, so we dropped to exceptionally low numbers.

So they made redundancies, which cut our numbers then closed our hospitals which had a drastic affect on us. We rely heavily on the reserve forces now, what state is SDSR going to have on the medical services that are already overstretched? 'Lessons learnt' is not a process used by the govt or MoD when it comes to the AMS.

Once again I'll quote Lillywhites finishing salvo from the Iraq Inquiry, if this was his mind set whilst Surgeon General, who knows what imput the bloke has had into SDSR?:

'and the final point I will make is that we must be careful, as historians will remind us, to remember that Iraq and Afghanistan are quite specific operations. They are not necessarily the same operations that we will do in the future, which may be very different, and we need to be very careful about generalising from the specific lessons in Iraq and Afghanistan to the future.'

I read that to mean 'just because we need a massive medical services now, doesnt mean we will need one in the future', hence the effect SDSR will have on the AMS.

Far from the CMT bashing or inter trade piss taking the important point is the SDR is coming and the Corps should be ready to fight their corner or they will get it stuck to them again. Those of us who were around during the last great cull will remember options 1,2,3 and 4 which was only for the RAMC all this came after the first Gulf War which at the time we thought had secured our position, did it shite we as a Corps were still paying the price 10 years later when I got out.

Read the newspaper our new lords and masters are already looking for the exit strategy for the present war do you think the RAMC, AMS or DMS will still be as important then? Will we require so many reserves to support us again sitting in barracks without even a Cold War to fall back on ? Will we need so many Medical Regiments to support an Army which has been cut by upwards of 20%? Answers on a post card chaps it’s a big shit sandwich and its now your turn to take a bite hope it tastes better than it did in the 90s it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after almost 20 years.

I was a CMT for over 20 years I was always better at putting up tents than putting in drips why? Because I got more practice and training at putting up tents just a fact of life. Strangely I was never called a tent fairy or thick by a hand bag wonder why (yes Venty you know why).
You're quite right, a shrinking Army does need less medical support, much will hinge on the way the Army shrinks and how it re-roles. The trouble with medical equipment is that it's still high maintenance equipment when mothballed. It's not just a case of packing everything in grease and leaving it until it's needed, it needs to be kept in-date and has to reflect changes in medical technology.
One thing is for certain, any large-scale operation such as Iraq or Afghanistan are likely to produce as many, if not more casualties, than the preceding one. However, one we're out of Afghanistan and the Public sees that we're shrinking the whole Army and the AMS I can't see H4H being the great bale out for the Government it was in the past. The attitude is likely to be; we've met the immediate need, MoD are now showing less interest than ever in having a sufficient for future role AMS so why should we bother?
The more you devolve medical personnel away from the Army, the more you put them in mainly civilian establishments where no attention is given to soldierly pursuits then the less integrated you become. AMS should be made up of highly skilled personnel fully integrated into the green machine and able to understand the way it works and the calls that are made upon it.
Whilst we all mourn the slow dismantling of a Corps most of us love it's the diminished role and our lack of ability to support our comrades that causes the most pain, the cuts that cut the deepest.

Latest Threads